The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Tyler Motte

52 minutes ago, tas said:

I could definitely see him being the alex burrows type of grinding role player on an offensive line. 

He was a stud at Michigan and has put together reasonable AHL numbers.  I think he has potential to be a 35-40pt energy guy.  He was a nice surprise last year.  

1 minute ago, BCNate said:

He was a stud at Michigan and has put together reasonable AHL numbers.  I think he has potential to be a 35-40pt energy guy.  He was a nice surprise last year.  

He was getting tonnes of chances last season that didn't covert. He was also creating a ton of chances from his tenacious forechecking. If we end up with more skill down the lineup like Leivo on his line, who knows they might click and produce at a decent clip.

1 minute ago, Fanuck said:

26th overall in total hits for the entire league last season while only averaging about 13min/night TOI - I'd say this is a very 'team value' contract.  

No kidding. I wonder if they offered him more on a multi-year contract and he said no thanks, I'll work for under a million for this year to show what I am really worth, then we can talk seriously.

3 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

No kidding. I wonder if they offered him more on a multi-year contract and he said no thanks, I'll work for under a million for this year to show what I am really worth, then we can talk seriously.

It makes sense for the Canucks to also do another year to see if he can remain consistent and maybe not burn out in parts of the season. Also to see if he didn't just go all out that one year for a pay out. If he can put up another season like he did, then he will have earned a longer deal. It just makes sense on both sides.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

It makes sense for the Canucks to also do another year to see if he can remain consistent and maybe not burn out in parts of the season. Also to see if he didn't just go all out that one year for a pay out. If he can put up another season like he did, then he will have earned a longer deal. It just makes sense on both sides.

Yeah, you never know with a smaller guy who plays like that, how much their body can take. Remember, was his name Kenins, the Latvian Locomotive? Looked like a Motte with better hands, but apparently burned out awfully fast.

• Cheers 1

• -SN- unfeatured this topic
  • -SN- unpinned this topic