The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] 40 players elect salary arbitration

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

?

They needed

1) a RHD - signed Myers obviously.

2) a pwf top 6  - they got MIller, and drafted Pod.

3) a 3LHD (or Hutton).

They accomplished all those things.

It is not urgent - AT THIS POINT - to add another forward.

There are still a lot of holes on this team, each one is important, none really more urgent than the other because theoretically we won't be a legit contender until they are filled.

Just because the Almighty filled a certain need, doesn't make that one the right one and the others not as "urgent".

• Wat 3

Just now, kanucks25 said:

Lol, this is rich.

Love how the amount we spent and got better is the perfect amount, and anymore wouldn't have been "good" for X reason.

So, it was good that we made our team better by signing Myers to the contract we did, but we need not sign a similar player to a similar contract that would also make us better (for example, Gardiner).

Because... it puts us over the cap?

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

elaborate.

4 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Because... it puts us over the cap?

No top-pairing D-man (fingers crossed for Hughes, even as early as this upcoming season).

Just 4 legit top-6 wingers.

No legit 3C that can be counted on.

No goalie with a legit track record (unless you count Markstrom's half season as that, which most wouldn't).

2RD was a need (if Myers even is that, there is a legit argument against it) but to say we couldn't/shouldn't have added more had we had less cap tied up is ridiculous.

• Wat 7

Just now, 48MPHSlapShot said:

A thread listing the players around the league that are electing to go to arbitration, and it doesn't involve the Canucks in any way?

If you thought that would be enough to keep this thread from turning into another argument over Benning, you don't know CDC.

It's Benning’s fault Trouba went to arbitration. 

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, oldnews said:

cool - then 'objectively' evidence that.

Like, all traditional and underlying stats?

And if I post them, I'll be told "watch the game" or "those stats aren't the important stats" or, simply (and my favorite), "nerd".

Yes, Gardiner is not immune to a defensive gaffe here and there but it happens to literally every D-man in the league. A decent comparison would be Edler who a has strong net positive impact overall but has his moments of "uhh... what the hell were you thinking there?" Gardiner gets piled on by the fans in Toronto all the time but when he was injured last season, they were clamoring to have him back in the lineup.

Edited by kanucks25
  • Wat 2

18 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

2RD was a need (if Myers even is that, there is a legit argument against it) but to say we couldn't/shouldn't have added more had we had less cap tied up is ridiculous.

So, he's supposed to ignore the cap and spend anyway because... he should have had more available?

raw&f=1

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

So, he's supposed to ignore the cap and spend anyway because... he should have had more available?

You jumped into the middle of the conversation.

The other guys were arguing that we don't need more cap because we have no other urgent needs, or nobody else to sign for whatever reason.

I'm saying, if the goal was to get better this season, we really could have used that crap-load of dead cap we have on our books currently.

I obviously know we're cap-strapped and can't add anymore now... that's my problem though, that shouldn't be the case for a team that is/has been as bad as we are.

Edited by kanucks25
  • Wat 1

8 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Like, all traditional and underlying stats?

And if I post them, I'll be told "watch the game" or "those stats aren't the important stats" or, simply (and my favorite), "nerd".

Weak.

Just post the objective evidence - these excuses/sidesteps are straw - and  a waste of time.

• Cheers 1

Just now, oldnews said:

Weak.

Just post the objective evidence - these excuses/sidesteps are straw - and  a waste of time.

Why would I be required to show the evidence? You're the one who disagreed, so show me why you disagree, especially considering my opinion would be the consensus among like everyone in the hockey world save for a select certain segment of the Canucks fan base.

Still, I'll humor you:

Last 3 years PPG:

Myers: 0.42

Gardiner: 0.55

image.png.983dcdbef302c113f5643d77657a50c0.png

image.thumb.png.9e80d944da69bf14603be27a985d4803.png

image.png.f0c12f37919d7645fc3615106d0e427d.png

• Wat 1

3 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Why would I be required to show the evidence?

You made the claim - it's yours to own and qualify - no one else's onus.

You've done nothing there to make your case but post a bunch of graph material with no evidence you're able to understand or analyze it.

I can post a link to Hockey Reference numbers for both these guys - as if that's either a qualification or refutation of your claim.

Got anything?   Btw - I've posted a lot of material in the Myers thread qualifying my opinion of him - my own work/analyis if you want to take issue with any of it.

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

You jumped into the middle of the conversation.

The other guys were arguing that we don't need more cap because we have no other urgent needs, or nobody else to sign for whatever reason.

I'm saying, if the goal was to get better this season, we really could have used that crap-load of dead cap we have on our books currently.

I obviously know we're cap-strapped and can't add anymore now... that's my problem though, that shouldn't be the case for a team that is/has been as bad as we are.

You responded to my statement that we could not add any more without being reckless, saying that it's supposedly said we "need not" sign more players, when the reality is that it's not possible to do so.  It's not a matter of lack of desire.

8 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

my opinion would be the consensus among like everyone in the hockey world save for a select certain segment of the Canucks fan base.

And minimally Jim Benning, who did not even interview him.  Not to mention the fact that Gardiner remains unsigned, yet was purportedly the "hot item" in UFA dmen, evidences more that "your opinion" may NOT be the consensus you think it is.  35 other UFA defencemen have been signed, yet Gardiner's still out there.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Considering our needs; who would you have used the cap space on?

And do you really think we are going to be as bad next year as we were this year? Given our upgrades, and resultant increase in used cap, I think we will push for playoffs.

• Cheers 1