The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Will Trevor Linden be a part of the celebration next season?

Rate this topic

CRAZY_4_NAZZY

Trevor Linden and 50th Anniversary Season Celebration  

131 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

I love Linden and everything he did pre 1996 knee injury, but let’s be honest:    There’s been a lot of mediocrity under his watch.

Post (December?) of 1996 when he had his knee injury, Linden was a shell of himself.   When Keenan called out his piss poor play a year later, Linden turtled in the room and eventually got traded.   When he came back to Vancouver in 2001 (or whenever it was), he was a shell of a shell.......which is surprising when you consider that he wasn’t THAT old.

And then of course, you have the farting around situation with Beagle and Roussel (ie  Linden not wanting either guy here).

As much as I respect guys like Linden and Smyl, I think it’s a joke that their jerseys are hanging from the rafters.   It’s a constant reminder of just how mediocre our franchise really is, and guys like Linden and Smyl are a part of that problem.    The only guys’ jerseys that should be in our rafters are the Sedin twins and Bure.....and *maybe* Naslund (although I’d lean towards ‘no’ for Nazzy).  

I love Linden and Smyl and what they did for this organization, but the Canucks and our fans are putting them in contention for being the most overrated “legends” in NHL history.

Linden and especially Smyl are full-deserving of their number retirements. Smyl was the first-ever career Canuck of over 10 seasons and one of the best all-around players in NHL history. Last player to lead his team in goals, assists, points and penalty minutes. Put Steamer on the Islanders or the Canadiens during his prime and his numbers would have been a lot higher. He and mediocrity should not be mentioned in the same sentence.

Keenan treated Linden like pure crap and Me$$ier just sat back and snickered. That Orca Bay Canucks environment was absolutely toxic.

53 minutes ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

Linden and especially Smyl are full-deserving of their number retirements. Smyl was the first-ever career Canuck of over 10 seasons and one of the best all-around players in NHL history. Last player to lead his team in goals, assists, points and penalty minutes. Put Steamer on the Islanders or the Canadiens during his prime and his numbers would have been a lot higher. He and mediocrity should not be mentioned in the same sentence.

Keenan treated Linden like pure crap and Me$$ier just sat back and snickered. That Orca Bay Canucks environment was absolutely toxic.

Fair enough about Smyl.   I’ll admit that I only started following the Canucks in 1987 and so I caught Smyl towards the end of his career.

Still - at the end of the day however, it’s about tangible awards and results, not hypotheticals.  

As far as Linden goes, like I said........post December 1996, there was a LOT of mediocrity (in both Van and outside of Van).   Keenan May have gone overboard in his tirade of Linden, but many people fail to acknowledge the fact that Linden was playing like a sieve that year........and for the better part of the 10 years that followed after that.

Linden is a great guy and a great person, but his status in Vancouver is a little overblown in my opinion.   

Edited by Hindustan Smyl

6 hours ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

Fair enough about Smyl.   I’ll admit that I only started following the Canucks in 1987 and so I caught Smyl towards the end of his career.

Still - at the end of the day however, it’s about tangible awards and results, not hypotheticals.  

As far as Linden goes, like I said........post December 1996, there was a LOT of mediocrity (in both Van and outside of Van).   Keenan May have gone overboard in his tirade of Linden, but many people fail to acknowledge the fact that Linden was playing like a sieve that year........and for the better part of the 10 years that followed after that.

Linden is a great guy and a great person, but his status in Vancouver is a little overblown in my opinion.   

There were times Linden could have been more dominant, I agree. Especially before December '86. He was dominant in his rookie season on the worst offensive team in the league and in the '94 run but for a player of his size and skill, a career high 33 in a season was too low. However, I also felt that was always playing  back-and-forth between right wing and centre. I also feel that his NHLPA focus got in the way of him having dominant seasons.

When Linden came back in '02, his offensive role was changed to checking but he still provided offense.

3 hours ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

There were times Linden could have been more dominant, I agree. Especially before December '86. He was dominant in his rookie season on the worst offensive team in the league and in the '94 run but for a player of his size and skill, a career high 33 in a season was too low. However, I also felt that was always playing  back-and-forth between right wing and centre. I also feel that his NHLPA focus got in the way of him having dominant seasons.

When Linden came back in '02, his offensive role was changed to checking but he still provided offense.

The thing that set Linden apart wasn't his overall scoring prowess but his ability to rise to the occasion and score big goals when the team needed it most. Scoring  GTGs, OTGs, and being an absolute beast in the playoffs is what made him a fan favourite. 

19 minutes ago, CptCanuck16 said:

Source? Where'd you hear that?

I read it on here.  Another poster wrote it.  I think any invitation would be hollow without an apology first anyway.  It’s pretty obvious the owner did something to Trevor for Trevor not to be included in Bo’s night.  

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Was a cheap and disreputable act to not include Linden in the Captain's night.

Would have thought Aqualini would know better.

I just finished writing a post which was generally positive of Aqualini as an owner... now I think I'd write something different.

Actually, I truly believe that Linden planned his trip around the home opener because he wants absolutely nothing to do with the Aquilinis. I wouldn't blame him.

15 hours ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

Gaudette was called up deep into the latter stages of the 2nd half of the season (if I recall correctly).   After last year’s preseason, Gaudette *clearly* needed some more time in the minors.   The time down there seems to have served him well.  

Adam Gaudette played 56 games for the NHL Vancouver Canucks.

So again

WILLIS.jpg.a6a57d771ef705cb7e8fdeef1c6845ba.jpg

3 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Was a cheap and disreputable act to not include Linden in the Captain's night.

Would have thought Aqualini would know better.

I just finished writing a post which was generally positive of Aqualini as an owner... now I think I'd write something different.

According to Burke a while back, Linden and Aqua will never "mend the fence"

20 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

According to Burke a while back, Linden and Aqua will never "mend the fence"

If it’s Brian Burke making the comment, then It’s something to consider.

if it’s that parasite JD Burke making the comment, then it’s just “wishful thinking” on his part and should be taken with a grain of salt.

12 minutes ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

If it’s Brian Burke making the comment, then It’s something to consider.

if it’s that parasite JD Burke making the comment, then it’s just “wishful thinking” on his part and should be taken with a grain of salt.

Sorry i forgot there is some other clown named Burke...i pay no attention to him