The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Justin Trudeau apologizes for wearing brownface during 2001 event at school

CBH1926

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Oh good now we're analyzing photos for 'just how dark' his costume makeup was... :picard: Aladdin is a fictional Middle Eastern/Arabian character. Not black. This is no more 'blackface' than it is 'yellowface'.

You just analyzed the roundness of brackets to prove your point!  Pot meet kettle!!!

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

There's 2 or three options.  But they have to win first.

Sadly, he's still the better option of the two.

That is sad if he's the best one of a very few.  Canada is even further down the US politics rabbit hole than I thought.  :(

Just now, SabreFan1 said:

That is sad if he's the best one of a very few.  Canada is even further down the US politics rabbit hole than I thought.  :(

The best actual leader of the 4 available (sorry bernier) is elizabeth may of the green party.  That should tell you everything that you need to know about the state of canadian politics right now.

it's not quite as bad as trump or clinton but it's close.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Nope, just called brackets, brackets. Their 'roundness' never entered in to it.

Unless I'm having another brain fart, you literally quoted a definition that said "rounded brackets".  It's why I didn't become pedantic and bother continuing that discussion with a competing definition.  It was as good of a way to define parenthesis as any other definition.  Rounded brackets.

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

The best actual leader of the 4 available (sorry bernier) is elizabeth may of the green party.  That should tell you everything that you need to know about the state of canadian politics right now.

it's not quite as bad as trump or clinton but it's close.

So, the Jill Stein of Canada, just less clueless...

I'm only relatively solid in my knowledge of Canada's liberals and conservatives.

4 hours ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

Exactly, and I took mine into my own hands despite my struggles in life.

I've lived on my own since I was 16 and had alcoholic and drug addicted parents. So ya, I don't sympathize, but I have empathy to these people. Sometimes the truth is crass and hurtful.

I think you're being very judgmental. Maybe some people need more than you to make it out. But you're being very reductive in how you're portraying Canadian history. 

1 hour ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

What I believe is more significant - and organically extends into older demographics over time - is a lack of ability to handle/receive criticism and feedback from others.

Those two things challenge a person to explore their own actions, beliefs, behavior, and the negative emotions that come with criticism and feedback. It forces you into a place of not only objectivity with yourself but also a place of neutrality to see yourself from another perspective. It's then up to you to filter the information into what's true and useful, and what's not - and that requires awareness.

As a result of that process, a person may have to admit or confront hard truths about themselves. Ultimately, it's a positive but you first need to embrace the negative. It's unavoidable. You have to look inward. And that degree of negative really depends on the individual. It's staggering the amount of people who can't handle cricism and feedback.

We've largely eliminated it from the mainstream school system and other aspects of society. Rather than have young kids examine their actions, behavior, mistakes, etc, through criticism and feedback, we've made it easier to not experience that type of negativity by rewarding kids for participating.

This has also bred a culture of deflecting blame outward and normalizing defensive behavior when criticized and challenged. This is easily testable in the real world.

A positive outcome from criticism and feedback is reliant on one's ability to say, "I'm wrong." Look at this board and social media and the amount of people who need to be right at all costs to avoid being wrong.

Things like social media enable this even more culturally, and have been now for over a decade. Facebook, for example, is an echo chamber of the same type of thinking largely because a lot of people can't handle criticism, feedback, and being challenged. 

And all of this also ties into fear of confrontation as well and one's behavior to avoid confrontation by seeking solace in like minded beliefs rather than being challenged. And there's safety in numbers that shield people from being challenged all the more.

Just my .02 ... carry on. 

yeah I think you're very correct in this. Maybe the inability to look inward and take criticism makes you more prone to snap judgments of others too.

8 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Unless I'm having another brain fart, you literally quoted a definition that said "rounded brackets".  It's why I didn't become pedantic and bother continuing that discussion with a competing definition.  It was as good of a way to define parenthesis as any other definition.  Rounded brackets.

Parenthesis AKA rounded brackets - ( ). As opposed square brackets - [ ].

'How round', or the 'roundness' of said brackets never entered in to anything other than your farting mind :lol:

Just now, aGENT said:

Parenthesis AKA rounded brackets - ( ). As opposed square brackets - [ ].

'How round', or the 'roundness' of said brackets never entered in to anything other than your farting mind :lol:

How about we stop talking about brackets altogether? 

I can't believe one silly brain fart led us down this path. :lol:

I feel like splitting hairs between whether it was blackface, or merely racially insensitive, is a bit of an academic debate when it's generally agreed by everyone in this thread that painting oneself darker to portray someone of a different ethnicity for a costume is usually a no-no. Hell, even painting yourself like a Drow (dark elf) is iffy. 

tenor.gif

Edited by HerrDrFunk
  • Haha 2

Just now, SabreFan1 said:

My Star Trek is very rusty.  I remember that part being at the end of an episode and it was just sounds and music but nobody talking during the scene, but I don't remember the point/storyline.

I think Spocks logic got the better of McCoy. Kind of like you pointing out some on the left trying to minimize blackface. I don't really think thats whats going on here. Trudeau though is getting a bigger benefit of the doubt tho than any right side politician would get. Not sure thats the same thing as minimizing but maybe. Either way I'm sure you're enjoying the crap out of this :lol:

• Upvote 1