The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Justin Trudeau apologizes for wearing brownface during 2001 event at school

CBH1926

1 minute ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

My point between the lines is that you can also apply that to the current state of identity politics as well. 

Trevor Noah has a bit about how you really can't be a protestor wth your thumbs, you have to be out there doing it. I think with identity politics people want to be supportive but it often goes too far online. Not sure that does anyone any good. 

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Trevor Noah has a bit about how you really can't be a protestor wth your thumbs, you have to be out there doing it. I think with identity politics people want to be supportive but it often goes too far online. Not sure that does anyone any good. 

Exactly on the Noah point. That kinda goes back to my point about fear of confrontation. It's easier to protest with your thumbs and "feel" that you're an activist - the illusion - than actually get out there and own your opinion through action. It's no different than "thoughts and prayers." 

The identity politics thing doesn't do anyone any good because things like calling someone a racist eventually calls into question the racism of the person calling others a racist. It's a circular firing squad. 

There hasn't been a good Conservative party candidate for the last two elections. Harper was AWFUL - I don't care if you're a Conservative card holder or not. He sucked big time as a politician. But between Scheer and Harper, I'll take Harper any day of the week. Scheer's so incompetent to run this country.

Now, I'm not saying Trudeau is better. I just feel like we're running into the same problem again when Canada voted out Harper. We'll just end up finding a worse candidate than the previous one.

5 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

I was talking more about a few people here and the media in general.  Most of the media has been trying to downplay the h*ll out of the whole thing.

If it were Mitch McConnell who was caught in blackface, the media would be whipping everyone into a frenzy.

Media liberal bias has gotten so much worse since Trump was elected.  Fox/Faux News has always been conservatively biased, but at least they stopped pretending they were objective a few years ago.

Now here's a question I was wondering.

is it truly "liberal media bias" or is just that literally everyone, EVERYONE except the die hards and idiots are just so anti him and everything he stands for that it seems like it's a form of bias?

1 hour ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Exactly on the Noah point. That kinda goes back to my point about fear of confrontation. It's easier to protest with your thumbs and "feel" that you're an activist - the illusion - than actually get out there and own your opinion through action. It's no different than "thoughts and prayers." 

The identity politics thing doesn't do anyone any good because things like calling someone a racist eventually calls into question the racism of the person calling others a racist. It's a circular firing squad. 

its the difference between saying "thats racist" and "you're racist". People can get called out for saying things that are racist. Maybe they don't realize what they are saying, thats very possible. But if you jump to "you are racist" right off the hop you're likely in for a fight and chances are no one learns anything.

One interesting thing about this whole Trudeau deal is I'm seeing some stories today on people trying to reconcile how you can have a person who's clearly not a racist today do such a racially stupid thing. I think discussing context, history, ideas of socially constructed and acceptable racist things is going to ultimately be very good for all of us. Talking about the context that allowed Trudeau to think this was a good idea takes the finger pointing out of it. If this had been Scheer, I think it would all be finger pointing and no discussion, at all. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Toyotasfan said:

Robert Downy Jr. in “ Tropic Thunder” played a black man. 

Is that Ok ?

Eddie Murphy on a SNL skit playing a White man riding a bus .

is that ok ?

You can find racism anywhere you want if you really look hard enough .  

Dan Aykroyd in Trading Places ...

b8clFoMf.jpg

C. Thomas Howell in Soul Man ...

MV5BZmZjN2Q0MDMtZTZmMy00Y2VjLTkwM2YtM2Zm

Eddie Murphy as Mr. White on SNL ...

eddiemurphy.jpg

So, how long before these guys get canceled? Remember, the decision to okay this rests with Hollywood. How progressive back in the day.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Now here's a question I was wondering.

is it truly "liberal media bias" or is just that literally everyone, EVERYONE except the die hards and idiots are just so anti him and everything he stands for that it seems like it's a form of bias?

I saw it before Drumpf even got into politics.  It's just flat out in the open now. 

I don't even have a homepage for my web browsers anymore because nbcnews.com went so far down the rabbit hole that I just could no longer enjoy or trust it.  They started publishing radical liberal articles under the guise of opinion pieces.  That's exactly what Faux News does with it's television station.

The only place I go to anymore on that site is their sports sections.

CNN is mostly unreadable and definitely untrustworthy at this point.  That even started before Drumpf, but got so much worse and open after he was elected.  A former emmy winning CNN reporter named Amber Lyon blew the whistle and talked about how in bed CNN was with the pre-Drumpf government.

Edited by SabreFan1
Had to move the sports comment up under the NBC paragraph.

2 hours ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

He is the correct person to say is failing as a leader today. He gets paid to fix these problems and accept onus.

Fixing indigenous issues will take some time 

100 yrs of abuse / neglect will not be corrected  quickly.   It will take some time 

7 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

its the difference between saying "thats racist" and "you're racist". People can get called out for saying things that are racist. Maybe they don't realize what they are saying, thats very possible. But if you jump to "you are racist" right off the hop you're likely in for a fight and chances are no one learns anything.

One interesting thing about this whole Trudeau deal is I'm seeing some stories today on people trying to reconcile how you can have a person who's clearly not a racist today do such a racially stupid thing. I think discussing context, history, ideas of socially constructed and acceptable racist things is going to ultimately be very good for all of us. Talking about the context that allowed Trudeau to think this was a good idea takes the finger pointing out of it. If this had been Scheer, I think it would all be finger pointing and no discussion, at all. 

I was going to bring "context" into this earlier but wanted to separate points on their own merits. I agree it will lead to good things from a cultural awareness place. It'll be a longer burn. I'm hopeful for that.

The thing that gives me pause is whether political correctness, that hive insecurity, the finger pointing, will lead to oppression quicker than those good things. It already is.

When I saw those photos, that's the first thing I thought ... what's the context? I didn't just jump to that's racist. That's reactionary.

From another angle of context, Justin inherited a certain eccentricity from his father. Pierre wasn't exactly mainstream in all areas. In context, I don't think Justin was racist but rather trying to be more relatable or paying homage of sorts. But you have to have the ability to look at other angles instead of just crying racist.

What's racially stupid today was actually more acceptable then. Acceptable but yet still uncomfortable. We're just now dealing with that uncomfort. 

If that was Scheer, people would be like, see, we were right ... going back to that need to be right rather than going inward. 

1 hour ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Dan Aykroyd in Trading Places ...

b8clFoMf.jpg

C. Thomas Howell in Soul Man ...

MV5BZmZjN2Q0MDMtZTZmMy00Y2VjLTkwM2YtM2Zm

Eddie Murphy as Mr. White on SNL ...

eddiemurphy.jpg

So, how long before these guys get canceled? Remember, the decision to okay this rests with Hollywood. How progressive back in the day.

Arianna Grande....we can risk the loss

image.png.7c291c9932ac550e8e6ca23aa8c51daf.png

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Violator said:

Im very curious which party leaked this or told time magazine.

6 hours ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

It was the NDP allegedly.

Scheer leaked some of it as well, he admitted to having it for a while: https://election.ctvnews.ca/trudeau-says-images-of-him-in-blackface-and-brownface-unacceptable-unsure-if-there-are-more-1.4600455

He was waiting for Trudeau to admit or deny if there were any other photos, so lucky for Trudeau he did admit to that on his initial press conference. 

I think Scheer was waiting to use this closer to the election day. I don't know who was the source of the private school yearbook but it was public domain so not sure you can really call it a leak when it was out there for anyone to find who looked.

• Upvote 1