The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Jake Discussion

It might take Lind and Madden etc a year or two to get up to NHL speed. It's taken Gaudette and Virtanen a bit of time as well. By then Jake will be hitting his prime and scoring 25 goals a year. I noticed an improvement in Jake last game I've never seen from him. He was patient with the puck and made smart plays, he had scoring chances and made a perfect 3-foot pass to Sutter for his goal. He was battling, and engaged, not shying away from Doughty and other Kings. He had a fire in him.  Maybe he just really wanted to beat Hutton lol  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Snapshot85 said:

Lol what I've noticed about green......

If you can play one position I'm sure you can play another.....

Green wouldn't hesitate to put ether guy on thier off wing . Time to learn a new skill. He has shown a willingness to do this time and time again.

In my opinion he only cares about icing the best team possible.

Yes I think for those players that can play off wing that is fine

but Hoglander is a small player, who only plays LW

so, which we are short of organizationally

So, I do not expect him to switch sides

I am hoping he can just fill in the holes on LW

I also don't think RW is needing anymore prospects

until we see what's up with the group we have now

IMO, Benning, if he has a 2020 1st will

Draft either a  RHD or a LWer

which will depend on 2 things

If Tryamkin comes back

which he will , and if he does

Then it is an automatic LW

If there is one in the area of 

the Vancouver pick

45 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Yes I think for those players that can play off wing that is fine

but Hoglander is a small player, who only plays LW

so, which we are short of organizationally

So, I do not expect him to switch sides

I am hoping he can just fill in the holes on LW

I also don't think RW is needing anymore prospects

until we see what's up with the group we have now

IMO, Benning, if he has a 2020 1st will

Draft either a  RHD or a LWer

which will depend on 2 things

If Tryamkin comes back

which he will , and if he does

Then it is an automatic LW

If there is one in the area of 

the Vancouver pick

News flash, once the Canucks line up is complete, Benning is still going to be drafting as good as he can and trying to add better players.  

If you listened to Weisbrod at the draft, they are always going to take the BPA because you can't afford to whiff on your top picks ever.  They always need players coming up because if you aren't getting better, you're getting worse.

• Cheers 2

18 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

News flash, once the Canucks line up is complete, Benning is still going to be drafting as good as he can and trying to add better players.  

If you listened to Weisbrod at the draft, they are always going to take the BPA because you can't afford to whiff on your top picks ever.  They always need players coming up because if you aren't getting better, you're getting worse.

CC

Yes it is always BPA...…..but, when there are tiers of players outside of the top 12ish

Then a GM will have more latitude to pick a positional player within that tier

Weisbrod  is dumbing it down so that it is understood by the masses

There are many thigs that make up what is considered BPA, including Positional need

Example would be when you get outside the top 20......every GM will have a different list

how could that be, if these guys are looking at a consensus list

Example...….the 20th to 45 pick were all considered for the most part to be in the same tier

If you had 8 RW spots, why would you pick another, if you needed a LW?

"IF" they were considered the same level (even the Canucks have a tiered list)

7 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

CC

Yes it is always BPA...…..but, when there are tiers of players outside of the top 12ish

Then a GM will have more latitude to pick a positional player within that tier

Weisbrod  is dumbing it down so that it is understood by the masses

There are many thigs that make up what is considered BPA, including Positional need

Example would be when you get outside the top 20......every GM will have a different list

how could that be, if these guys are looking at a consensus list

Example...….the 20th to 45 pick were all considered for the most part to be in the same tier

If you had 8 RW spots, why would you pick another, if you needed a LW?

"IF" they were considered the same level (even the Canucks have a tiered list)

Because it creates organizational depth allowing the cream to float to top and gives management actual bargaining power when they posses excess top 6 players.

Weisbrod referring to BPA was not a dumbed down facsimile of their truth. They've ranked the players and wouldn't pass up a guy they have 10-15 spots higher than they're picking just because they don't need another goalie (for example).

Back on track - Jake. I've never agreed with or been sympathetic to the impatient members of our fan base. IMO Jake is doing fine and has been progressing steadily every season, I'm not worried at all.

It's not like he's floating around, staying out of hard areas and proving himself to be some fancy princess who can't be relied upon to play a sound defensive game, have a take away, cause a turnover and be effective on both ends.

I like Jake. He's come exactly as advertised on his scouting reports and so long as he continues to improve his all round game I look forward to seeing him grown into the heavy player he's destined to be.

9 hours ago, cowboy644 said:

For now this is not a trade Jake for who ever discussion.I could probably have titled it "What happens if Ferland doesn't become a top 6 player?" discussion as well.Lets start with the assumption neither Ferland or Jake just don't gel on the second line and and Pearson and Bo are fixtures there.Bo sure as hell doesn't deserve the throw every one at his line and see who sticks.It is paramount to find a  permanent winger for him.Lets say Jake is playing decent like he is on the third line but Greene still doesn't want him on the second line and Roussel comes back.Roussel is great on the third line and to damn good for the fourth.It will be toward the Christmas break when Roussel comes back according  to his timeline.There will be teams by this point that know what they have and what would improve their team.Do the Canucks try and trade Jake and maybe package him with maybe a Goldobin .I think they hold on to Baertchi for injury call up.I know there's concerns on this site that Jake could go to another team and kill it but that may be the risk the Canucks have to take to solidify the 2nd line.Bo deserves it and for this team to take another step it may become necessary.

I know where there is a lot of really good Discussion on Jake Virtanen...