The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Jake Discussion

For now this is not a trade Jake for who ever discussion.I could probably have titled it "What happens if Ferland doesn't become a top 6 player?" discussion as well.Lets start with the assumption neither Ferland or Jake just don't gel on the second line and and Pearson and Bo are fixtures there.Bo sure as hell doesn't deserve the throw every one at his line and see who sticks.It is paramount to find a  permanent winger for him.Lets say Jake is playing decent like he is on the third line but Greene still doesn't want him on the second line and Roussel comes back.Roussel is great on the third line and to damn good for the fourth.It will be toward the Christmas break when Roussel comes back according  to his timeline.There will be teams by this point that know what they have and what would improve their team.Do the Canucks try and trade Jake and maybe package him with maybe a Goldobin .I think they hold on to Baertchi for injury call up.I know there's concerns on this site that Jake could go to another team and kill it but that may be the risk the Canucks have to take to solidify the 2nd line.Bo deserves it and for this team to take another step it may become necessary.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Wat 2
  • Upvote 1

Finally, a Jake thread ;)

I was skeptical, Jake has been developing for years and then seeing him come to camp unfit, made me think they should trade him, he's a bust. But then after watching the game against LA, I've changed my mind again. Jake was engaged and involved. He didn't shy away from the rough stuff after the whistle and even made some really nice plays, showing patience and just making the right decisions. Dare I say - is he finally getting it?

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, cowboy644 said:

For now this is not a trade Jake for who ever discussion.I could probably have titled it "What happens if Ferland doesn't become a top 6 player?" discussion as well.Lets start with the assumption neither Ferland or Jake just don't gel on the second line and and Pearson and Bo are fixtures there.Bo sure as hell doesn't deserve the throw every one at his line and see who sticks.It is paramount to find a  permanent winger for him.Lets say Jake is playing decent like he is on the third line but Greene still doesn't want him on the second line and Roussel comes back.Roussel is great on the third line and to damn good for the fourth.It will be toward the Christmas break when Roussel comes back according  to his timeline.There will be teams by this point that know what they have and what would improve their team.Do the Canucks try and trade Jake and maybe package him with maybe a Goldobin .I think they hold on to Baertchi for injury call up.I know there's concerns on this site that Jake could go to another team and kill it but that may be the risk the Canucks have to take to solidify the 2nd line.Bo deserves it and for this team to take another step it may become necessary.

One of the reasons Baertschi is in Utica is because he is prone to injury, how does that qualify him as a great injury call-up? Jake, for all his body contact , is not often injured - certainly not for extended periods of time like Baertschi.  Jake, so far this year, has played very well - when he has been played - though up till now, he does seem to play better with grinder types.  Who knows if when Roussel comes back there will not be someone else hurt - the Canucks never seem to have a problem getting their money's worth out of Medicare.

Cos' what this world needs now

Is another Jake-wringer

Like I need a hole in my head!

& what the world needs now

Bikini-babe, with green eyes

So Virt can score & get her in bed!

Cos' what this thread needs now

Are some words of wisdom

Like la la la, la la la lal-lah!

(apologies to Cracker)

I don't know... I'm ok with the OP making this thread because this is truly the last year for Jake (And Jake threads). It's clear, now that we have added Miller and Ferland if Jake gets it this year he has a home, if he doesn't he's gone. 

With Ferlands mentorship and being given Gaudette for energy, we have done everything we can for Jake. IMHO I think this is his last year in a Nucks uniform, but hey, he's young and can prove me wrong. If he does, good for him, if he doesn't then he can move along and I doubt sending him to Philly or Carolina (examples) will really make a difference for his game or the Canucks game.

I'm as indifferent as Jake's attitude. ^_^

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

IMO, Baertschi would fit nicely in the top 6. Like on Bo's wing. But you know, I'm not the GM. So yeah, I somewhat agree with your statement.

On to Virtanen; he's not skilled enough to be in the top 6 regularly, but will still be able to put up 20 goal seasons as an energy scoring 3rd line winger.

• Cheers 1

You know, today, I was at the rink with the guys

After our game, we were all discussing the Canucks

Miller, Hughes, Myers, were all mentioned

Hughes, more than once

Virtanen was talked about

and there was about 10 to 12 guys in the dressing room

and we all pretty much agreed, that Jake is quietly contributing

to the over all play of the Canucks

We all thought that would be a mistake to move him

and felt, there is no shame in him being a 3rd liner

We also thought that Jakes best years are still ahead of him

His skating is near elite

His defensive awareness is solid

and his15 goals are mostly ignored by his distractors

If he becomes a above average 3rd liner in his career

and can play another 8 to 10 years with the Canucks

no One should complain

Now, if as a above average 3rd liner, he is pushed out by a better player

then by all means, move him down, or move him out

But that day has not come, and I think he is a positive contributor 

Give him a year and a half and let's discuss it then

(Next years TDL)

In saying all that....there are some interesting players coming up the pipeline

who could put pressure on Jake...…...

Podkolzin, Madden, McEwen, Lind, Malone, Lockwood, Jasek

That is a pretty big list, that all will need a spot over the next 3 years

Or sooner!

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, janisahockeynut said:

You know, today, I was at the rink with the guys

After our game, we were all discussing the Canucks

Miller, Hughes, Myers, were all mentioned

Hughes, more than once

Virtanen was talked about

and there was about 10 to 12 guys in the dressing room

and we all pretty much agreed, that Jake is quietly contributing

to the over all play of the Canucks

We all thought that would be a mistake to move him

and felt, there is no shame in him being a 3rd liner

We also thought that Jakes best years are still ahead of him

His skating is near elite

His defensive awareness is solid

and his15 goals are mostly ignored by his distractors

If he becomes a above average 3rd liner in his career

and can play another 8 to 10 years with the Canucks

no One should complain

Now, if as a above average 3rd liner, he is pushed out by a better player

then by all means, move him down, or move him out

But that day has not come, and I think he is a positive contributor 

Give him a year and a half and let's discuss it then

(Next years TDL)

In saying all that....there are some interesting players coming up the pipeline

who could put pressure on Jake...…...

Podkolzin, Madden, McEwen, Lind, Malone, Lockwood, Jasek

That is a pretty big list, that all will need a spot over the next 3 years

Or sooner!

Let's not forget hoglander that imo will make the club next year.

With that said..... with the exception of the pod...those guys will have a hard time beating out jake in the areas he does well.... they definitely dont have the speed or skating ability

If jake keeps his nose down.... he will be hard to bump off the team for what he does well.... and if he can contribute 15-20  year... he will stay for a long time

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Snapshot85 said:

Let's not forget hoglander that imo will make the club next year.

With that said..... with the exception of the pod...those guys will have a hard time beating out jake in the areas he does well.... they definitely dont have the speed or skating ability

If jake keeps his nose down.... he will be hard to bump off the team for what he does well.... and if he can contribute 15-20  year... he will stay for a long time

He is a LWer I believe

1 minute ago, janisahockeynut said:

He is a LWer I believe

Lol what I've noticed about green......

If you can play one position I'm sure you can play another.....

Green wouldn't hesitate to put ether guy on thier off wing . Time to learn a new skill. He has shown a willingness to do this time and time again.

In my opinion he only cares about icing the best team possible.