The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[proposal] Troy Stecher + a forward for an upgrade on right defense

[proposal] Troy Stecher + a forward for an upgrade on right defense

I think the Canucks’ defense would be considered elite if they had the following set-up:

Edler-[NewGuy]
Hughes-Tanev

Benn-Myers

Tryamkin (when he returns). (maybe Tryamkin takes the #6 spot while Benn becomes the extra).

You’d have great depth, and also 5-6 guys that wouldn’t look out of place on the top 4.   In this regard, our defense would be at or near our 2011 levels.  

Up front, the Canucks do have a glut of forwards even with injuries.   

with this in mind, I think the Canucks could atleast explore the idea of packaging Stecher and one of their forwards for an upgrade on defense.  

Pettersson, Bo, and Brock are obviously untouchable.   Guys like Eriksson, Beagle, Sutter, Baertschi, Ferland, Roussel, Leivo, Motte, and Schaller are either unmovable or would peak little to no interest.  Moving the developing Gaudette would be downright foolish at this point.   So that all this in mind, Virtanen would likely be our best bargaining chip as far as forwards go.

Stecher + Virtanen for an upgraded right side defenseman.  

Two defensemen that come to mind are Tyson Barrie and Rasmus Ristolainen.   Barrie would give us two very dangerous offensive defensive pairings, while Risto would give us some size back there.    I think the Leafs will hold onto Barrie for now since they’ll try and see if he fits in better with the new head coach’s system, but maybe a guy like Risto could be had?     

I’m personally not a huge fan of Risto, and am not sure if he’d fit well with Edler on a top pairing, but perhaps I’m wrong.   

I would absolutely do a Stecher and Virtanen for Barrie however.   Barrie likely won’t sign in TO after this season anyways, and Barrie would fit our system well.    Hughes and Barrie on different pairings would give the Canucks a significant jolt on offense.  

I haven’t checked the cap, but would a Stecher and Virtanen for a Barrie swap + sending Eriksson to the minors, keep us cap compliant?   

Anyway - that is what I would try and do.   If Barrie continues to struggle in TO for whatever reason, make the pitch.

I'll preface this by saying I'm a fan of Stetcher, and have gone to bat for him numerous times on this forum.

That being said, I wouldn't be opposed to moving him for the right piece. As far as an upgrade on the blueline goes, I don't think a package revolving around Stetcher as the centerpiece lands us the type of player we need, which let's face it, is a top pairing Dman on the right side. I do think he land us a pretty solid offensive piece though, especially if packaged with one of our 'middle six' guys, of which we have an abundance. Someone that could consistently play with Horvat and move up to the top line without looking out of place if need be.

Going back to Toronto for a moment, I think Kapanen would be a good target. He's pretty cheap, still young, and has proven himself to be able to perform at a .5 or better PPG pace in the NHL. 

At this point I'd rather see how the Barrie situation plays out in Toronto. He'll likely be available after this season as a free agent anyways, and for less than we would have thought before the season started. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I'll preface this by saying I'm a fan of Stetcher, and have gone to bat for him numerous times on this forum.

That being said, I wouldn't be opposed to moving him for the right piece. As far as an upgrade on the blueline goes, I don't think a package revolving around Stetcher as the centerpiece lands us the type of player we need, which let's face it, is a top pairing Dman on the right side. I do think he land us a pretty solid offensive piece though, especially if packaged with one of our 'middle six' guys, of which we have an abundance. Someone that could consistently play with Horvat and move up to the top line without looking out of place if need be.

Going back to Toronto for a moment, I think Kapanen would be a good target. He's pretty cheap, still young, and has proven himself to be able to perform at a .5 or better PPG pace in the NHL. 

At this point I'd rather see how the Barrie situation plays out in Toronto. He'll likely be available after this season as a free agent anyways, and for less than we would have thought before the season started. 

Kappanen and that salary is a great barganing chip for the Laffs, love to see him here.

We have Hughes who will demand big money therefore leaving Barrie's big money out, this is where Stecher's value plays into our hands.

Virtanen's sixth overall value has diminished, third line 20 goal scorer may be his plateau.

Edited by 6string

Loool Myers would request a trade if he was 3rd pairing again like in the peg.

The cost of assets to acquire a top pairing dman would be sky high.

Teams would ask for Hughes, which ends the conversation. 

I would do PODZ, goldy and trams rights + 2nd for Ristolainen and tage thompson though 

• Wat 1

I think the is premise sound, that we need to upgrade our defense per say... I would argue that our future cap issues will dictate what we should go after.

And it isn't a #1 guy imho

It's easy to say but we just need another defense man or two that can actually play hockey in the offensive end of the ice.

You watch out power play and when the puck gets to Hughes's partner Tanev you just see the play die right there... makes the safe play to the corner for a turn over...

So we have guys like Myers, Tanev, Stetcher and Benn who are definitely rounding out a better defense than we ran last year but none of these guys make a difference in the offensive zone and ultimately expendable if we can secure a guy who can actually play hockey... not JUST defense.

Edited by Canucklehead73

On 11/24/2019 at 11:58 AM, GhostsOf1994 said:

Loool Myers would request a trade if he was 3rd pairing again like in the peg.

The cost of assets to acquire a top pairing dman would be sky high.

Teams would ask for Hughes, which ends the conversation. 

I would do PODZ, goldy and trams rights + 2nd for Ristolainen and tage thompson though 

Not a chance we trade Podz in a deal for Ristolainen. Buffalo has no leverage imo, they went a different direction with their RHD this past off season. I could see them being interested in Tanev possibly with an extension in place or maybe taking Stecher back as a piece in the deal.

Wonder if Buffalo is willing to move Miller, only 4 pts in 18gp so far. They gave up a 2nd and 5th for him, so they probably don't want to give him up on the cheap. Maybe for Stecher and a pick/ prospect