The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Canuck’s Prospect Rankings #1-10

18 hours ago, IjustNEEDaTROYgamble said:

TSN’s list of top under 24 prospects on the Canucks and are listed #4 in the league 

661C518E-A1B0-4EB4-92BC-EDC8E0CF233A.jpeg

Brock and Quinn easliy deserve a AA rating in my opinion. Demko should be at least an A. He's been a top goalie prospect forever and keeps proving himself.

1. Rathbone - he's sneaky elite

2. Podkolzin - tempted to put him lower, he's slightly overrated on CDC but will be a huge complimentary piece for us

3. Madden - putting up big numbers in NCAA

4. Dipietro - Underrated. Could be the next Jonathan Quick. Crazy athletic.

5. Hoglander - skillzzzzz

6. OJ - tough to rank but his ability when he plays is clear.

7. Woo - Should be a real solid 2nd pairing shut down guy.

8. Lind - Chris Higgins

9. Rafferty - idk why not
10. Focht - cuz i like his name

Edited by Yung1
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Yung1 said:

Brock and Quinn easliy deserve a AA rating in my opinion. Demko should be at least an A. He's been a top goalie prospect forever and keeps proving himself.

Yeah, sorry I don't think Brock is at Petey's level,,,,,,I think Quinn has that potential, but not there yet either

It surprises me that Vasily is that high...…...and I think that Thatcher is higher than DiPietro....Thatcher is like a B+ right now with A potential

I also think Rathbone has B potential, but it's early

My 2 cents worth.

But I am still pretty darn happy

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Yeah, sorry I don't think Brock is at Petey's level,,,,,,I think Quinn has that potential, but not there yet either

It surprises me that Vasily is that high...…...and I think that Thatcher is higher than DiPietro....Thatcher is like a B+ right now with A potential

I also think Rathbone has B potential, but it's early

My 2 cents worth.

But I am still pretty darn happy

They define 'AA' as "Elite Star" and 'A' as 1st Line. It's borderline, you make a fair point. For what it's worth though, Sebastian Aho is rated 'AA', lol.

Re: quinn not being there yet, but has potential... these ratings are 100% potential based.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Yung1 said:

They define 'AA' as "Elite Star" and 'A' as 1st Line. It's borderline, you make a fair point. For what it's worth though, Sebastian Aho is rated 'AA', lol.

Re: quinn not being there yet, but has potential... these ratings are 100% potential based.

Don't  think boeser is a elite star.... elite shot yes! But elite star no.... hes not at ep40 or huggys potential.

• Upvote 1

On 11/25/2019 at 6:44 PM, Snapshot85 said:

You are correct. It seems I got my facts mixed up on the 2 prospects. I was sure it was lockwood... but it's not.

I dont mind admitting when I'm wrong

Cheers

I have found that the best thing about admitting that I’m wrong is that it gives me a second chance to get it right. I have spent a lifetime of being wrong and it never hurt a bit.

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Cap'N Bo said:

I've always been a big fan of prospects and future potential/young teams. Our prospect pool has lost some of its top-end magic from graduations, but the depth is better than I ever remember it being! 

#1 Podkolzin -Hasn't shown as much as some have hoped so far, but remember he's only about 18.5 years old and recently played over 11 mins in the KHL, has all the tools

#2 Madden - His rise has been shocking, and tied for 4th in the NCAA in goals as of a few days ago. If you watch his condensed highlights, he dangles like 5 players a game! 

#3 Hoglander - He also hasn't put up quite the numbers I was expecting, but has a candidate for goal of the year in SHL, and is heating up and playing 18 mins/game lately in a mens league right after being drafted. He's on pace to put up a decent goal scoring season, but I think he only has 1 apple. Goes to the hard areas as a smaller guy

#4 Juolevi - Hard to rank Juolevi with the repetitive injuries wiping out development time. He could never make the NHL or become a Top 3 D, hard to say

#5 Woo - After being touted as a throwback, physical D man, put up monster numbers last year. Stats aren't quite as good this year after the trade, but he's starting to roll now

#6 Rathbone -Almost put him above Woo. He looks amazing this season, and actually had a really impressive year last season. He would probably be our second best skater on the blueline already, after Hughes of course (Myers can skate as well). 

#7 Dipietro - He has been better than I expected for Utica this season. I would say he's pretty close to being their #1 tendy as a 20 year old rookie. If you haven't seen it already check out his pad save from his last start! We have unreal goalie depth

#8 Lind - Having a great year in Utica this season, I love his ability to agitate, skate, and score. Its remarkable to have a prospect like Lind at #8 

#9 Rafferty - He looked good in training camp, and I've heard him mentioned as a rookie of the year candidate for the AHL (although he is 24) 

#10 Brisebois - He also looked impressive at camp, he was a captain in junior and I think he will be a solid #5 D man 

Rathbone started hot last year when paired with Fox, but the coach moved him to the second unit to take advantage of his superb defensive play.  That may have cost Rathbone a chance to put up huge numbers last year, but he excelled in that roll. It seems that the team came first and still does - Harvard is off to a 6-0-0 start. Chris Higgins thinks he is ready to run the Utica PP now.

6 hours ago, Yung1 said:

I agree with that for Hughes, for sure, he is tied for second in rookie scoring and is a year younger than Makar. Another year of physical maturity means a lot at his age.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
18 minutes ago, 112 said:

including brogan and tram

1. Rathbone

2. Podkolzin

3. Madden

4. Hoglander

5. DiPietro

6. Rafferty

7. Tryamkin

8. Juolevi

9. Lind

10. Woo

Hard to gage Try and Bro, Bro seem to have ease with that competition down in the AHL the only way I say he’s top 5 is if I see a little In the bigs might be a AHL type player 

50 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I would put Aidan McDonaugh in at number 10. 

Woo goes down to about 8 for me. 

Hoglander should be number 1 or 2 for me. 

I was think about Hogg as number 1 but when push comes to shuv our only prospects showing dominance in their league is Madden and Rathbone

1 hour ago, RetroCanuck said:

Podkolzin

Madden

Hoglander

Rathbone

Woo

Lind

Rafferty

Juolevi

DiPietro

MacEwen

Its really hard to rank them. This team has NEVER had this many high end prospects in the pipeline. We should be a good team for a lot of years.

• Cheers 1

I think you’re all vastly underrating Juolevi. He’s only becoming better and better over time, but the injuries are hindering the speed he improves. I see him as a top four guy. 

1. Podz 

2. Juolevi 

3. Rathbone 

4. Hogs 

5. Madden 

6. Dipietro

7. Lind 

8. Woo 

9. Rafferty 

T10. Lockwood/MacEwan

5 hours ago, Stamkos said:

I think you’re all vastly underrating Juolevi. He’s only becoming better and better over time, but the injuries are hindering the speed he improves. I see him as a top four guy. 

1. Podz 

2. Juolevi 

3. Rathbone 

4. Hogs 

5. Madden 

6. Dipietro

7. Lind 

8. Woo 

9. Rafferty 

T10. Lockwood/MacEwan

I’m extremely high on Madden I’ve watched him a lot this year. Everytime I see him with the puck he makes me think I’m watching Patrick Kane.

1 hour ago, Dats hockey said:

I’m extremely high on Madden I’ve watched him a lot this year. Everytime I see him with the puck he makes me think I’m watching Patrick Kane.

I haven't seen much of Madden, admittedly. Does he have the IQ, hand speed or acceleration that Kane has? If he's missing any of those, his game could be difficult to transfer to NHL. 

There's a reason that there's only one Patty Kane: his play style is so difficult to play in the modern day NHL. 

2 hours ago, Stamkos said:

I haven't seen much of Madden, admittedly. Does he have the IQ, hand speed or acceleration that Kane has? If he's missing any of those, his game could be difficult to transfer to NHL. 

There's a reason that there's only one Patty Kane: his play style is so difficult to play in the modern day NHL. 

Madden plays with more of an edge to his game and not near as high offensive hockey IQ. Although his defence is far superior to Kane in my opinion. Kane is a hard comparable, Id say a Gallagher lite type player offensively with better defence.