The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Need Help Streaming In US

Rate this topic

Glug Datt

Hey there most noble & knowledgeable CDC brethren.. 

I have no idea where to post this, mods please move if needed.. 

Very simply, my dad is going south in the new year for a couple months.. I was going to get him a sports net acct for Xmas to stream games, but I think it might not work in the US.. 

Am I right on that? should I get an NHLTV acct instead? 

any help is appreciated.. 

happy ho ho.. 

I won’t say don’t stream games from sites found in Reddit but just be aware that a lot of the sites that you can stream games from are sketchy AF.

My advice would be to set your dad up with a VPN. It’s a service that spoofs your computer’s location so that regionally locked websites will work in other countries. They’re about $5-$10 a month, legal, and very easy to set up; in fact most will have very easy to follow tutorials and once set up, they’re extremely simple to work with. 

7 hours ago, HerrDrFunk said:

I won’t say don’t stream games from sites found in Reddit but just be aware that a lot of the sites that you can stream games from are sketchy AF.

My advice would be to set your dad up with a VPN. It’s a service that spoofs your computer’s location so that regionally locked websites will work in other countries. They’re about $5-$10 a month, legal, and very easy to set up; in fact most will have very easy to follow tutorials and once set up, they’re extremely simple to work with. 

hmm.. ok so it's not hardware but some sort of an IP address changer? 

I don't think he'll like sketchy sites & pop ups etc.. he'll just want to turn on the game and drink his wine.. 

Edited by Glug Datt

I was just in Hawaii and was able to stream sportsnet fine. Well, I shouldn’t say 100% fine. When on Wi-Fi, I did have trouble at first and video wouldn’t load. But the workaround for me was to go on cellular first, start watching (for some reason SN was fine on cell), then turn off cellular while streaming so it reverted back to Wi-Fi. In hindsight I would rather it not have worked as I had to watch the loser leafs beat us. 

1 hour ago, zapperman said:

I was just in Hawaii and was able to stream sportsnet fine. Well, I shouldn’t say 100% fine. When on Wi-Fi, I did have trouble at first and video wouldn’t load. But the workaround for me was to go on cellular first, start watching (for some reason SN was fine on cell), then turn off cellular while streaming so it reverted back to Wi-Fi. In hindsight I would rather it not have worked as I had to watch the loser leafs beat us. 

wow, ok so are you on Rogers then? I thought they had exclusive rights on mobile.. 

I wonder if Sportsnet would just work by itself out of country.. 

2 hours ago, jmfaminoff said:

You can purchase a legal US stream on a monthly subscription.  NHL Gamecenter is the only legal stream. For twenty bucks a month, support your team.

I would recommend this for your dad.  

Otherwise, me I use reddit to watch all the NHL games.  It's awesome but if your dad is like mine, he'll have trouble even finding the most basic link to click on and the Play button on the video player haha 

My favourite streamers on reddit are Bilasports and Ydotstreams...  I'll send you their direct links next Saturday if you remind me.  They don't post the links until 15 minutes before the game and the best part is that you can choose the Home or Away stream.  We're living in the golden age of streaming hockey.  

16 hours ago, Glug Datt said:

ok, I'll have to look into that.. don't know anything about reddit..

it's gotta be completely straightforward for the old guy.. 

cheers

Most people I know use this, free, and just a couple clicks away and they don’t want to pay or create an account for these other services. Test it out once or twice, if you think it’s easy to use, show your pops how it works.

Never had any pop ups with the NHL streams on Reddit, but I’ve streamed other sports game and have had the occasional, “Single females want to &^@# now” pop ups :lol:

Otherwise go with NHL Gamecenter.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Glug Datt said:

wow, ok so are you on Rogers then? I thought they had exclusive rights on mobile.. 

I wonder if Sportsnet would just work by itself out of country.. 

I guess I should have added that info. Lol. I am on Telus mobility, and Telus Optik with Sportsnet. So can stream SN on any device. As others have stated, Reddit is also good. I use that for out of market games. And yes, Bilasports is one of my favorites for quality and ease of use. 

4 hours ago, zapperman said:

I guess I should have added that info. Lol. I am on Telus mobility, and Telus Optik with Sportsnet. So can stream SN on any device. As others have stated, Reddit is also good. I use that for out of market games. And yes, Bilasports is one of my favorites for quality and ease of use. 

really? that's curious. I'm on Telus mob as well and I stream Sportsnet fine on the ipad / laptop, but my phone never seems to work.. I'll have to look into that