The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

U.S. air strike kills top Iranian military general and Iraqi commander at Baghdad’s international airport

nuckin_futz

2 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

my ears were burning there for a sec

:bigblush:

were you talking to me ?????

Not you in particular.  Just the usual suspects who want to crap on the US and it's policies since Canada lost it's relevance on the world stage once the Cold War ended and it let it's military slowly decay.

Edited by SabreFan1
  • Cheers 1

58 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

so i guess now the iranians will respond?

there will be escalation??

which side will be more stupid?

exactly why did trump cancel/withdraw from the treaty with Iran?

maga ?

Please tell what on earth you think Iran can do?

47 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Of course they will respond. Of course there will be escalation. This is most likely now a proxy war with Russia backing Iran.

Who will be more stupid? Hard to say. Trump wanted to avoid getting into more wars. Now he's got one.

The plan was to withdraw from the JCPOA (Iran nuclear deal) then place Iran under crippling sanctions and force them back to the negotiating table to make a better deal than Obama made. However, Iran has refused to negotiate without sanctions relief. Usually replying with something to the effect of "go eat a d*ck"

It's a huge cluster frack. And you have this situation.

Qassem Soleimani is a huge deal in Iran and the region.

No it isn't Russia won't get involved. A war with Iran has been imminent for 40 years. There is nothing Iran can do, the US navy already patrols all around Iran with destroyers and missile cruisers. I realize you guys love to hate Trump but Iran likely says a few things and that's it.

Edited by Ryan Strome

The official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said al-Muhandis had arrived to the airport in a convoy to receive Soleimani whose plane had arrived from either Lebanon or Syria. The airstrike occurred as soon as he descended from the plane to be greeted by al-Muhandis and his companions, killing them all.

Trump tweeted an American flag shortly after Suleimani's death was confirmed.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/baghdad-airport-missiles-1.5413594

Sounds like a crappy Netflix movie.

1 minute ago, Ryan Strome said:

No it isn't Russia won't get involved. A war with Iran has been imminent for 40 years. There is nothing Iran can do, the US navy already patrols all around Iran with destroyers and missile cruisers. I realize you guys love to hate Teump but Iran likely says a few things and that's it.

All Iran can really do is bum rush a US Navy vessel with a bunch of small boats loaded with explosives and once they do that and sink it, we'll park an entire carrier group way out of their reach and bombard Tehran with cruise missiles.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Not you in particular.  Just the usual suspects who want to crap on the US and it's policies since Canada lost it's relevance on the world stage once the Cold War ended and it let it's military slowly decay.

Truly is sad how Pierre Trudeau started that mass dismantling of our armed forces followed by every PM after him. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

well i honestly don't want to speculate about details at this point

but you pretend they can do nothing

yet they did something that started this last go round

so i see they could do something

and likely will do something again

i appreciate you prefer a tribal approach in your posting

i'm not into such polarization

but please, do tell, why did trump end the nuclear treaty with iran

and has that worked out well so far?

• Upvote 1

Just now, Ryan Strome said:

Truly is sad how Pierre Trudeau started that mass dismantling of our armed forces followed by every PM after him. 

I was embarrassed when I read how little ammunition a once proud Canadian regiment was given each month to practice shooting with.  I'm trying to remember it's name.  I posted on CDC once about it.  It is named after a past UK princess.

1 minute ago, SabreFan1 said:

All Iran can really do is bum rush a US Navy vessel with a bunch of small boats loaded with explosives and once they do that and sink it, we'll park an entire carrier group way out of their reach and bombard Tehran with cruise missiles.

Iran knows this and won't be that stupid. The US already has air and naval capabilities that can destroy Iran in the area. I get it people want to hate the US while supporting Canadian defense cuts. Imagine a US going bankrupt, Russia just walks in.

2 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

They can sink a US Navy vessel if it gets close enough to it's shores if they bum rush it with smaller explosive laden boats, but that's about it.  Once they do that, they may as well pull a Bin Laden and start running for their lives because cruise missiles and missile laden drones would be headed their way.

All of the embassy protests in the world wouldn't save them at that point.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

I can't speak for Trump or US foreign policy but Iran has been a thorn long before Trump.

I was embarrassed when I read how little ammunition a once proud Canadian regiment was given each month to practice shooting with.  I'm trying to remember it's name.  I posted on CDC once about it.  It is named after a past UK princess.

It truly is sad. It's ironic the same people who support cuts to the Canadian military are the same people who constantly run down the US. Just think about that, Sabre.

Sure You and I joke but we know it's in good fun.

13 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Iran knows this and won't be that stupid. The US already has air and naval capabilities that can destroy Iran in the area. I get it people want to hate the US while supporting Canadian defense cuts. Imagine a US going bankrupt, Russia just walks in.

Iran actually practices doing it.  I can definitely see someone dumb enough in Iran to give that order.

Edited by SabreFan1

Just now, Ryan Strome said:

It truly is sad. It's ironic the same people who support cuts to the Canadian military are the same people who constantly run down the US. Just think about that, Sabre.

Sure You and I joke but we know it's in good fun.

It makes them feel superior so I usually just ignore it.  There's a reason why so many countries, including Canada, were able to afford things like universal health care.  That money came from letting militaries around the world contract and become relatively impotent while the US foots the bill.

I wish more people knew their military history.  Canada once had one of the more powerful militaries in the world.  Now it's reduced to the point where it's trying to put together a half decent Navy.  I can only imagine the frustration of Canadian Generals and Admirals.  One of your former Ministers of Defence sounded the bell and was ignored for a long time.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

They don't have to attack US targets. They can and probably will launch renewed attacks on soft targets in Saudi's oil fields.

I still remember when Iran was giving kids plastic keys that lead to Jannah.

And used them to clear mine fields and charge Iraqi machine gun nests back in 1980’s.

All they can do is bark and support terrorism around the world.

Edited by CBH1926
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, nuckin_futz said:

They don't have to attack US targets. They can and probably will launch renewed attacks on soft targets in Saudi's oil fields.

They'll be playing with fire if they do that.  The Saudis are beefing up their military as it is.  If the Iranians keep tweaking them, Trump will just keep selling the Saudis more and more weapons.

7 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

It makes them feel superior so I usually just ignore it.  There's a reason why so many countries, including Canada, were able to afford things like universal health care.  That money came from letting militaries around the world contract and become relatively impotent while the US foots the bill.

I wish more people knew their military history.  Canada once had one of the more powerful militaries in the world.  Now it's reduced to the point where it's trying to put together a half decent Navy.  I can only imagine the frustration of Canadian Generals and Admirals.  One of your former Ministers of Defence sounded the bell and was ignored for a long time.

absolutely he did and he was ignored and he was a great man. I believe at the end of World War II Canada had the third biggest Air Force and the third biggest Navy in the world and over the decades we've let it Fallin and Fallin and Fallin and you aren't wrong we do have all these benefits the United States doesn't have because our politicians of both colours no the United States will never allow another country on this continent a hostile country. so they use it to their advantage it is really sad when Canadians laugh at Americans and see we live better and you don't have this or you don't have that because at the end of the day there is no warning for war just ask Poland and here is the real kicker what if that enemy is the United States of America well I'm wishing we still have the third biggest Air Force and the third biggest Navy because I know it's great to believe we are the best of friends but sometimes best friends fight I'm not saying that the u.s. wants to attack Canada I'm just saying name another country in the world as rich as Canada that would allow its neighbour to be as big and powerful as it is when you don't even have the ability to stop them for 20 minutes

7 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

4 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

They'll be playing with fire if they do that.  The Saudis are beefing up their military as it is.  If the Iranians keep tweaking them, Trump will just keep selling the Saudis more and more weapons.

A war between Saudia Arabia and Iran..

I'm Albertan..

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

• Haha 3

They already did it in September and managed to take a huge amount of Saudi production offline. Though is was restored pretty quickly. Those production facilities are virtually unprotected.

The Saudi's already have plenty of weaponry. But how do you protect those huge facilities?

1 minute ago, Ryan Strome said:

absolutely he did and he was ignored and he was a great man. I believe at the end of World War II Canada had the third biggest Air Force and the third biggest Navy in the world and over the decades we've let it Fallin and Fallin and Fallin and you aren't wrong we do have all these benefits the United States doesn't have because our politicians of both colours no the United States will never allow another country on this continent a hostile country. so they use it to their advantage it is really sad when Canadians laugh at Americans and see we live better and you don't have this or you don't have that because at the end of the day there is no warning for war just ask Poland and here is the real kicker what if that enemy is the United States of America well I'm wishing we still have the third biggest Air Force and the third biggest Navy because I know it's great to believe we are the best of friends but sometimes best friends fight I'm not saying that the u.s. wants to attack Canada I'm just saying name another country in the world as rich as Canada that would allow its neighbour to be as big and powerful as it is when you don't even have the ability to stop them for 20 minutes

All we'd have to do is send these guys over! :lol:

• Haha 1