The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mathieu Perreault comments on Virtanen (interviewed in a salt mine)

Rate this topic

-SN-

44 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I thought Jake actually handled his response well.

He noted that Perrault's a good player, didn't disrespect him - acknowledged that Perrault is understandably upset having a history of head injuries, but not exactly a predatory hit / no real intent from Virtanen, in fact the hit could have been heavier. 

I'm not buying the angle that it was an 'elbow' - I think it was a case of the entire body being being the 'principal point of contact', with the elbow raising as a balance reflex after the hit had been thrown.  Perrault spins off the puck and there is Virtanen - nothing resembling taking a run at a player = unfortunate, but I think Perrault over-reacted.

It is great to hear your voice of reason again...welcome back!

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Hockey my ass... If Jake hit him hard I call it hockey but cheap shots/dirty play isn't hockey. 

We are talking about the Jake hit on  Nichuskin?

That’s not a dirty hit lol. That’s a good hockey hit.

Edited by J-23
  • Upvote 1

Is it only me who finds it odd that, if a coach or Gm complains about reffing or whatever they are fined, but a guy who threatens to take off someone's head with a stick and TELLING the league he better not be suspended if he does? -no hearing, no suspension, no fine, not being proactive (especially after McSorley and Bertuzzi incidents)

Is this the image the league wants of its game?, just don't slam the refs etc

Better to behave this way than have a bench brawl in the new NHL

• Thanks 1

On 1/16/2020 at 5:04 PM, WHL rocks said:

Dirty play by Virtanen ... 

What if a 6'1 225lbs player elbows EP40 like that ..or Quinn Hughes or Stecher... Perrault is a small guy ..

Virtanen doesn't fight but he better be ready soon.... he's going to have to answer for that...

Not just vs WPG . Players around the league know that was dirty.  

I don't see how it's a dirty play by Virtanen. When you look at it Perrault is heading towards the boards to make a play on the puck. Virtanen is travelling a straight line along the boards towards where the puck will be played. Perrault makes a play at the puck and then turns away from the boards directly into Virtanen's path. Now going with the league standard of .5 of a second reaction time, Virtanen had no time to change his path at all in reaction to Perrault's changed path other than brace for the impact. When it come to an interference call it's the person that changes direction that's guilty of interference rather than the player skating a straight line. That would be Perrault. Now when it's obvious a player doesn't realize he's turning into another players path it's typically considered incidental contact.

Onto "the elbow". Judging from the freeze frames it's pretty apparent it was Virtanen's shoulder that made the real impact to Perrault's jaw. Virtanen's elbow came up pushing off the contact but I don't see a clear connection to Perrault's head from any combination of angles from the elbow. Certainly nothing as conclusive as the image of his shoulder. I honestly see nothing in the play that even qualifies as a penalty, never mind a fine or suspension.

Seems to me to be mostly the overraction of a player with a bruised ego to a nothing play where the ego turned directly into another players path with a resulting collision. If said tiny player is afraid of a little contact from big bad hockey players perhaps he should switch to figure skating.

On 1/18/2020 at 6:04 PM, Timråfan said:

In what way? It was deliberately but not especially harmful. But it could have wich is the reason players should avoiding cheap shots like that. 

I'm not talking about a penalty or something like that. I just think it's childish to do it. 

theres replays and people posted pictures of the hit with his elbow down untill after the hit where his elbow is lifted.

EDIT: if your talking about Virtanens hit on Nish, thats prefectly legal too, so can you explain what your talking about please?

Edited by TNucks1