The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mathieu Perreault comments on Virtanen (interviewed in a salt mine)

Rate this topic

-SN-

1 minute ago, xereau said:

The follow through, up and where the head is/was should signal some intent. Jake is not the innocent altar boy being portrayed here heheh.

I’m not saying he’s innocent, I said it could have been a penalty.

However it was definitely reactionary and not predatory like some are claiming.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Then he should find his balls and drop the gloves next time. No one is going to think "good for him" if he just cracks someone over the head with his stick. 

He probably knew that Jake always finds a way to get out of a fight, so why bother.

That last video looks like Jake raised his elbow and hit Perreault right in the mouth.  I can understand P being so pissed off after just returning to hockey after a concussion. 

Perreault.gif

MP basically turns and skates right into him with his head down. Common hockey collision. Could have been interference. Jake could have also done a lot worse if he wanted to, but he instead tried to let up and actually stop. This is no Duncan Keith maneuver here.

3 minutes ago, JoshuaGuy said:

Both images show just before contact and his elbow is down. Perreault is about to kiss the '18' on Virts shoulder. No elbow. 

IMG_20200116_132331.jpg

This picture says it all.  Look at the size difference in these two players, how the hell else is Jake supposed to throw a hit.  100% clean. 

Maybe Perreault should put some risers under his skates and stop whining.

2 minutes ago, Dekey Pete said:

This picture says it all.  Look at the size difference in these two players, how the hell else is Jake supposed to throw a hit.  100% clean. 

Maybe Perreault should put some risers under his skates and stop whining.

Poor little fella. 

Maybe players under 4’ Should have to wear a flag on there helmets so we know where they are. 

• Haha 2
  • Wat 1

24 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

This is not a Virtanen problem, more like a league problem. 

That’s more the issue at hand. We’ve (see: everyone) all said for years that the DoPS has never been consistent, and that they get things wrong more often than not.

They aren’t in an easy position, but the job of DoPS is to protect the players by dolling out punishment for things the players and the league feel it needs to. Well, considering how players have been speaking up a lot more recently, there’s obviously a feeling league wide by the players that they don’t feel like they’re being protected. There’s no way Perreault’s feelings here are isolated and that he’s the only player that feels this way.

Hell, people didn’t feel like the league cared when Sedin got speed bagged by Marchand. The players are the ones on the ice, not us. It’s clear by recent comments by players that this has been bubbling up for years.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

Well the good news for the league is that refs are probably going to keep a close eye on Perreault now.  Openly threatening to use your stick to hit another player across the head in "defense" doesn't seem like a particularly prudent thing to do...  Even if Perreault's tone was joking (which is possible but isn't mentioned by the interviewer), I don't see how it achieves anything close to what he seems to be hoping for:  more accountability from the league.

Virtanen's hit wasn't great but it wasn't the worst either.  The angle posted above shows that though there was a bit of a chicken wing going on, it wasn't Virtanen's elbow that made contact with Perrault's head.  Obviously still not a great hit as contact with Perrault's head was obvious, but it could have been way worse.

Combined with the non-penalization of Tkachuk for his hits on Kassian, this has not been a great week for the DoPS.

Contact to the head isn't illegal when delivering a full body check. Targetting the head is illegal. There is a difference. Head contact is considered incidental when hitting into the body. Virtanen's hit was definitely "into the body". Thus any head contact is incidental to delivering a full body check. No penalty, no fine, no suspension.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, HomeBrew said:

Perreault.gif

MP basically turns and skates right into him with his head down. Common hockey collision. Could have been interference. Jake could have also done a lot worse if he wanted to, but he instead tried to let up and actually stop. This is no Duncan Keith maneuver here.

That's beautiful!

This is a contact sport. I love seeing blood on the ice. And I love seeing Jake getting more engaged.

Perrault is a puss

i thought it was an unnecessary hit and dumb play by virtanen.  they were not running us or playing dirty, we we're just getting beat.

he should pick on someone his own size.

just a matter of time before its someone else doing this to hughes, petey, brock...

dumb statement by mp though, although would not have been said if a penalty was called at the time.

therefore i guess its the refs fault as well for not making a call at the time...

but virts gotta be smarter than that, like finish your check, but don't chicken wing.

mp should ask mcsorely and simon how that worked out for them.