The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mathieu Perreault comments on Virtanen (interviewed in a salt mine)

Rate this topic

-SN-

Just now, debluvscanucks said:

Jake is more physical and we need that.  He's not dirty...he doesn't go out there to purposely hurt guys, but he's also starting to engage when need be.  

Petey gets "treated this way" every single game.  Worse actually.  Petey responds by giving it back...ever see how he takes a number as the guy skates away?  

It worries me that he doesn't shy away from the tough areas. He even dishes out great bodychecks on the defensive zone. It's great to see, but worrying at the same time. 

When he fills out. Look out. 

6 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

It worries me that he doesn't shy away from the tough areas. He even dishes out great bodychecks on the defensive zone. It's great to see, but worrying at the same time. 

When he fills out. Look out. 

Oh, every single time I'm like "NOOOO PETEY".  But a little bit "YESSSS PETEY" too.

He has to have a bit of that to set a tone that he's not afraid.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

11 hours ago, redhdlois said:

The guy has some major anger issues......and his comments threats were really out of line......

the DOPS should be having a chat with him IMO.

I am concerned about him taking cheap shots on Petey or Huggy.  

It's really inappropriate to say the things he did.  There'd BETTER be follow up from the league in a premeditated event if it does go down. 

To "target" a guy with threats?  Ask Bertuzzi, May and Crow if it's accepted by the league.  This guy better end up being the new league "incident" poster boy if he does act on it.  Because this is malicious talk and has no place in the game.

Winnipeg seems to want to get under our skin..first with the whole Fortnite bs now this.  I can't stand them.  Time to shut their yaps.

• Cheers 1

So Jake lifts his elbow as they are separating, which, if the refs are calling it very tightly, might deserve perhaps a two minute penalty. And the "realistic fans" here talk as if he had raised his elbow on the way in, aiming at Perreault as if his elbow was a lance, put all his weight behind it and tried to drive it through Perreault's head. 

One of the more blatant of the "realistic fans" says it makes no difference that the initial (and main) point of impact was to the shoulder - head, shoulder, doesn't matter. A thread like this certainly separates the Canucks fans from the "realistic fans".

Edited by WeneedLumme
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

You can't speak on behalf of Jake watching (or not) on a TV. 

Jake is more physical and we need that.  He's not dirty...he doesn't go out there to purposely hurt guys, but he's also starting to engage when need be.  Not back down.

Petey gets "treated this way" every single game.  Worse actually.  Petey responds by giving it back...ever see how he takes a number as the guy skates away?  

Sounds like whining and spoiled brat syndrome.  "Smallest guy on the ice" stuff.  No one gets free passes here....ask Stech, who plays bigger than his size every game and has to put up with crap all game long.

So you say that because Petey get some cheap shots from dirty players it gives our players a get out of jail card?

I have never defended a player using dirty tricks aiming to deliberately damage another player.

Zlatan is a player(in soccer) I detest because he deliberately throws his elbows in players faces. 

Jake is smart, force him to play a hard, tough game without the dirty cheap shots worthy of little kids... 

24 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

I have never defended a player using dirty tricks aiming to deliberately damage another player.

Neither have I....but this isn't applicable here.  The "deliberately damage" is dramatics.   I didn't see Jake headhunting anyone.

A guy goes in low, slightly off balance and they collide.  What should/could Jake have done there?  Hit auto eject?

Don't paint this as something it's not.  It's a tough, physical game.  If someone's size is creating issues for them, that's not the league's fault.  Stech never grumbles because another guy's bigger and they don't line up perfectly when they collide.

Jets are a special kind of club...they love shooting their mouths off.  Doesn't mean their words are truth.  Let's hope not because, if so, they'll come out swinging sticks at foreheads.  That's more of a concern here than anything...but you're skipping over that part.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Neither have I....but this isn't applicable here.  The "deliberately damage" is dramatics.   I didn't see Jake headhunting anyone.

A guy goes in low, slightly off balance and they collide.  What should/could Jake have done there?  Hit auto eject?

Don't paint this as something it's not.  It's a tough, physical game.  If someone's size is creating issues for them, that's not the league's fault.  Stech never grumbles because another guy's bigger and they don't line up perfectly when they collide.

Jets are a special kind of club...they love shooting their mouths off.  Doesn't mean their words are truth.  Let's hope not because, if so, they'll come out swinging sticks at foreheads.  That's more of a concern here than anything...but you're skipping over that part.

Jake raises his elbow while trying to make it look like he isn't interested... If Jake just hit the guy straight up without raising the elbow we wouldn't have this discussion. 

The refs know Jake does this kind of stunts wich can mean that he gets penatlties just because the refs is dubious of his intentions. 

• Wat 1

A guy ran into him and yes...he did raise his elbow after the fact. As stated, it wasn't a malicious "take this guy out" with it.  More of a "get out here" thing where you try to brush someone off/away when they're in too close.

I'll post stills later.  Maybe (busy today).

But you are stating, like fact, what others think, what they know and their intention of things ("while trying to make it look...").  Not sure you have the ability to  (be inside someone else's head).

Anyhow, two differing opinions that's all.  I don't see Jake the way you do....at times, I wish he did have that mean streak you speak of.  

• Upvote 1

I will take a wild guess and and make an assumption here that, hmmmm... what, 1% of the posters on this forum have either delivered, let alone received, a hit like the one being discussed, outside of minor hockey, for sure. 

That is being generous, in my experience on being here over the decades. 

Thus, it could be assumed that there is a a lot more going on during that hit than 99% of posters might be aware of. This doesn’t stop the expert analysis on display in the thread and I’m glad it hasn’t. Pure gold. 

It’s the conviction in these posts, attempting to describe the play, which offer the most entertaining perspectives, IMO.

Never change, CDC! :lol:

• Cheers 2

6 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

You can't speak on behalf of Jake watching (or not) on a TV. 

Jake is more physical and we need that.  He's not dirty...he doesn't go out there to purposely hurt guys, but he's also starting to engage when need be.  Not back down.

Sounds like whining and spoiled brat syndrome.  "Smallest guy on the ice" stuff.  No one gets free passes here....ask Stech, who plays bigger than his size every game and has to put up with crap all game long.

Where are the people calling jake to be suspended!?!??! 

Carter speared Petey and no suspension or penalty. 

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Petey handled it like you should, get up and punish the opposition.

fhsj.gif

• Upvote 3

My armchair homer eyes think that the hit was a bunch of nothing.

Then again I`m an extremely tough guy.

Has Perreault thought through his stick swinging logic?

I know you're a little fella Mathieu but if you're swinging your stick because everyone is too big for you to fight, what happens if those bigger tougher players retaliate by using their stick? then you're really screwed. Maybe you can look into a conceal and carry license for your self defence?

19 hours ago, Timråfan said:

Jake did it on purpose. So I call it a dirty play. Since Roussel came back with his aggressivity Jake has changed his game a bit and is more dirty. 

Do you really want Petey or Hughes treated this way? 

I really hope not any team answer such play with going after Hughes... 

Has to be one of the worst hockey takes I’ve seen on here.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

My armchair homer eyes think that the hit was a bunch of nothing.

Then again I`m an extremely tough guy.

Has Perreault thought through his stick swinging logic?

I know you're a little fella Mathieu but if you're swinging your stick because everyone is too big for you to fight, what happens if those bigger tougher players retaliate by using their stick? then you're really screwed. Maybe you can look into a conceal and carry license for your self defence?

Yea, warning a guy of your intentions probably isn't too smart either.

As a small guy myself, I was considered to be of the dirty type player and had many opponents threaten me.

All that told me is I had to take the initiative.

More often then not, I was the aggressor.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, J-23 said:

Has to be one of the worst hockey takes I’ve seen on here.

In what way? It was deliberately but not especially harmful. But it could have wich is the reason players should avoiding cheap shots like that. 

I'm not talking about a penalty or something like that. I just think it's childish to do it. 

I thought Jake actually handled his response well.

He noted that Perrault's a good player, didn't disrespect him - acknowledged that Perrault is understandably upset having a history of head injuries, but not exactly a predatory hit / no real intent from Virtanen, in fact the hit could have been heavier. 

I'm not buying the angle that it was an 'elbow' - I think it was a case of the entire body being being the 'principal point of contact', with the elbow raising as a balance reflex after the hit had been thrown.  Perrault spins off the puck and there is Virtanen - nothing resembling taking a run at a player = unfortunate, but I think Perrault over-reacted.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

In what way? It was deliberately but not especially harmful. But it could have wich is the reason players should avoiding cheap shots like that. 

I'm not talking about a penalty or something like that. I just think it's childish to do it. 

Childish? That’s hockey bud.

I wish Jake would do that more.

15 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I thought Jake actually handled his response well.

He noted that Perrault's a good player, didn't disrespect him - acknowledged that Perrault is understandably upset having a history of head injuries, but not exactly a predatory hit / no real intent from Virtanen, in fact the hit could have been heavier. 

I'm not buying the angle that it was an 'elbow' - I think it was a case of the entire body being being the 'principal point of contact', with the elbow raising as a balance reflex after the hit had been thrown.  Perrault spins off the puck and there is Virtanen - nothing resembling taking a run at a player = unfortunate, but I think Perrault over-reacted.

Glad to see you back oldnews!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1