The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Toews & Keith get into scrap at morning skate

Rate this topic

Deets

4 hours ago, xereau said:

Rafferty is old, and he should be doing what he's doing in the AHL.

He has similar numbers to Pouliot, just for reference.

He's still only likely at bottom pairing guy in the NHL.

That being said, he looked fine last year, and he's cheaper than both Stecher and Benn.

I think he's a better overall transition guy than Pouliot was, but time will tell when he gets a chance to play up in the NHL. Hopefully his skills translate and that we don't deal with constant mental lapses.

14 minutes ago, Monty said:

Definitely. Not.

Winnipeg is an organization where they’ve been able to pay their best players to take a pay cut. Locking up Morrissey at $6.25M per wouldn’t have been possible if they would have overpaid Myers; a player they deployed as a 3rd pairing defenseman, and in situations that cater to him (see: more OZ starts). He’s not good defensively. He’s also not great offensively. So when you’re a team that needs to find dollars for Laine, Connor, Morrissey, and coming up in Pionk (boy is that guy producing), I think they’d rather pay them than, you know, an overrated 29 year old who’s only been getting worse.

So far, the Jets have done well to let their UFAs walk to let other teams take on those contracts (ie: Ladd). This isn’t revisionist history, either. Everyone knew what type of defenseman (or lack of defensive play) Myers was while he was in Buffalo and Winnipeg. There was a reason Winnipeg didn’t mind seeing him go. His deficiencies in the defensive zone weren’t something they felt they couldn’t correct internally, and for a lot cheaper. 

At the moment, the Jets wouldn’t be anything more than a bubble team if they had Myers. They aren’t missing his minimal offence, and they certainly aren’t missing his brain lapses defensively. Long story short, they don’t win anymore games with him in the lineup. Which is why they didn’t need to tie up $6M into him (or even $4M).

In simple logic it makes sense. Not that they got home team discounts from Laine, Connor. Nor Trouba while we are at it. No question, revisionist Cheveldayoff has tried to outnegotiate players.  And my spidey sense says not all players want a part of the team, even if some bought in. Playing hardball could be behind why Buff sang to his own doctor's tune? But that is just speculation. 

For the record, I had similar Canuck speculation about 2013. When Kesler waited till the end of summer to have surgery which required 4 months rehab. Lou wanted out?

It will really only make sense if they, Winnipeg, can get the D up to the standard needed. Based on al these sage signings and decisons.

Winnipeg is still icing a lineup with Bittto, Kulikov & Sbisa playing key minutes. Sbisa sometimes playing twety minutes a night.  Nathan Beaulieu made the opening night roster i believe? All whom have been let go, not signed, or waived by other teams.

It is an unbalanced team...

Tell Chevy well done!

5 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

In simple logic it makes sense. Not that they got home team discounts from Laine, Connor. Nor Trouba while we are at it. No question, revisionist Cheveldayoff has tried to outnegotiate players.  And my spidey sense says not all players want a part of the team, even if some bought in. Playing hardball could be behind why Buff sang to his own doctor's tune? But that is just speculation. 

For the record, I had similar Canuck speculation about 2013. When Kesler waited till the end of summer to have surgery which required 4 months rehab. Lou wanted out?

It will really only make sense if they, Winnipeg, can get the D up to the standard needed. Based on al these sage signings and decisons.

Winnipeg is still icing a lineup with Bittto, Kulikov & Sbisa playing key minutes. Sbisa sometimes playing twety minutes a night.  Nathan Beaulieu made the opening night roster i believe? All whom have been let go, not signed, or waived by other teams.

It is an unbalanced team...

Tell Chevy well done!

I honestly don’t care. So, you’re right.

38 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

I think he's a better overall transition guy than Pouliot was, but time will tell when he gets a chance to play up in the NHL. Hopefully his skills translate and that we don't deal with constant mental lapses.

He is, just a warning to those who see his numbers. He reminded me of Keith Ballard a bit with his puck handling. He's calm under pressure and I hope he gets a shot to be a full timer at some point. He's also older, as I said too, so he's fully developed and ready to go. Either way, if he makes it or he doesn't he is a cool side story for this franchise for a bit. There's a lot of them right now, great time to be a fan.

It honestly isn’t bad or uncommon among teammates all. Bieksa even said during the 2011 season, him, Kesler and Burrows will get into scraps and fights in almost every practice. Just the competitive nature of professional atheletrs.