The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] St. Louis Blues at Vancouver Canucks | Jan. 27, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, knucklehead91 said:

Boeser - 4th in points, 4th in goals, 9 points behind Pettersson, 5 points behind Miller who has been hot all year.

Pettersson has 6 more PP points

Miller has 3 more PP points

Boeser is 1 goal behind Horvat

3 goals behind Miller

5 goals behind Pettersson

all three of those players have 7 PPG, which is 2 more than Boeser.

Seeing how Boeser is almost a PPG player and is “STRUGGLING” even though his even strength numbers are almost the same as everyone else above him. WHY WOULD YOU TRADE HIM IF HES STRUGGLING WITH THOSE STATS?!!?! Hes going to get on a roll eventually and start filling the net. Especially with the contract he is on. Its cheap and team friendly. Especially considering we retain his RFA status at the end.

he stopped getting points since he was put on the 3rd line.  I am sure if he was still on the first line he would not be struggling.

• Wat 1

44 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Not for Dumba.

But we have a need for a player like him......and Jett woo is really the only rightie we have in the pipeline but we have some promising forwards like VP and kole Lind to just name two right wingers that show middle six promise. ( I set the bar lower that way I don't get roasted for over valuing prospects) 

we also have hoglander and madden that look like gamers also.....

so sell high if you believe you can replace him......

petey as already shown he is similar to Crosby , he doesn't need elite wingers , just guys that go to the dirty areas and have decent hockey IQ.......

cause I'm sorry Brock is no third line player and I think most fans would agree brocks plays a smart game but petey and Miller play a smart game with speed, so maybe a trade would help him ......different play style , look at how well he did with the Sedins and he hasn't been the same player since......injuries maybe but everyone can agree we haven't  seen the Calder finalist since the Sedins left......

Edited by RowdyCanuck
Grammar
  • Wat 1

Boeser won't be traded this year.  It doesn't make sense just because JV had some recent success with EP and Miller.  I think BB needs to be focused on being more defensively responsible.  Seen too many times of lackluster back checking from BB.

If anything, it'll be in the off season when JB will reflect on the season performance.   Decide areas the team is lacking and what they can give up to address those needs.

If BB is the chip to play and if MIN is the trading partner, I would want something good in return.  Dumba is having an off year.  But his stats from years before shows promise.

I would think long and hard around a deal like...

BB for Dumba + 1st (or Boldy).

Slanted to VAN cuz BB is almost a PPG player.  And I'm biased. 

Edited by BPA
  • Upvote 1

Just now, RowdyCanuck said:

But we have a need for a player like him......and Jett woo is really the only rightie we have in the pipeline but we have some promising forwards like VP and kole Lind to just name two right wingers that show middle six promise. ( I set the bar lower that way I don't get roasted for over valuing prospects) 

petey as already shown he is similar to Crosby , he doesn't need elite wingers , just guys that go to the dirty areas and have decent hockey IQ.......

cause I'm sorry Brock is no third line player and I think most fans would agree brocks plays a smart game but petey and Miller play a smart game with speed, so maybe a trade would help him ......different play style , look at how well he did with the Sedins and he hasn't been the same player since......injuries maybe but everyone can agree we have seen Calder finalist since the Sedins left......

Dumba is having a regressed season and has had one, you could argue two, really good years. His value is at low right now. Even I think Boeser hasn't been himself but he is still 11th in scoring among RWers. Not to mention he's 3 years younger.

I am not opposed to trading Boeser but we could do better. Also we shouldn't jump the gun until one of these guys Hog, Pod, Lind, etc, shows that they can be good enough for us to make such a move.

Until then we should be patient. A lot more opportunities will arise and we will be better prepared for them.

• Cheers 2

21 minutes ago, bree2 said:

he stopped getting points since he was put on the 3rd line.  I am sure if he was still on the first line he would not be struggling.

So miller and petey make him better........but I thought Brock could drive his own line and was top right winger in the league....would think a top right winger could drive his own line or make his line better....   :shock:

• Wat 1

6 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Dumba is having a regressed season and has had one, you could argue two, really good years. His value is at low right now. Even I think Boeser hasn't been himself but he is still 11th in scoring among RWers. Not to mention he's 3 years younger.

I am not opposed to trading Boeser but we could do better. Also we shouldn't jump the gun until one of these guys Hog, Pod, Lind, etc, shows that they can be good enough for us to make such a move.

Until then we should be patient. A lot more opportunities will arise and we will be better prepared for them.

I agree we need to wait until after the playoffs to see what we really have.....I said that in a earlier post also but for people to say his untouchable or it's unthinkable  come on.....that's all I was pointing out. 

Edit* but if we could find a younger Shea Weber I hope Jim pulls that trigger ha

Edited by RowdyCanuck

18 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

cause I'm sorry Brock is no third line player and I think most fans would agree brocks plays a smart game but petey and Miller play a smart game with speed, so maybe a trade would help him ......different play style , look at how well he did with the Sedins and he hasn't been the same player since......injuries maybe but everyone can agree we have seen Calder finalist since the Sedins left......

@bree2 how is that confusing?

okay the end should say haven't seen the Calder finalist since the Sedins left......that's when he played his best hockey or you wouldn't agree?

I agree we need to wait until after the playoffs to see what we really have.....I said that in a earlier post also but for people to say his untouchable or it's unthinkable  come on.....that's all I was pointing out. 

As it stands now he kind of is until Pod/Hog/Someone comes in and proves he's not.

We should be in no rush to move anyone important yet.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

As it stands now he kind of is until Pod/Hog/Someone comes in and proves he's not.

We should be in no rush to move anyone important yet.

But if Jake keeps going the way he is doesn't Jake replace Brock? So wouldn't we have to replace Jakes old spot in the line up not brocks top line spot?....

thats why I say wait until after playoffs to decide.....

But if Jake keeps going the way he is doesn't Jake replace Brock? So wouldn't we have to replace Jakes old spot in the line up not brocks top line spot?....

thats why I say wait until after playoffs to decide.....

Not really. He's one of two top 6 RWers. I expect Boes's spot to be with Bo long term after the Eriksson wave calms down. Also when Boes is at his best we all know how dominant he is which is a lot more than Virtanen which is no slight to him. 

We are not exactly a deep team either. We're pretty young and still developing.

Can't make judgments and decisions based off a small amount of evidence. A lot can happen. We should be in no rush till Pod/Hog/others join the team and we get to see whether or not they make others expendable.

5 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Not really. He's one of two top 6 RWers. I expect Boes's spot to be with Bo long term after the Eriksson wave calms down. Also when Boes is at his best we all know how dominant he is which is a lot more than Virtanen which is no slight to him. 

Can't make judgments and decisions based off a small amount of evidence. A lot can happen. We should be in no rush till Pod/Hog/others join the team and we get to see whether or not they make others expendable.

I agree but did Jim already said we have NHL talent in the ahl already? So kinda not rushing anyone.....I used those two cause I think they have the most upside to be first line players and by that I mean the ones petey needs.....petey doesn't need elite talent beside him look at Miller.....

so to me if Jake shows for the rest of the season he can handle it and that line plays good in the playoffs then yea I say trade Brock at the draft cause like you said he still has upside so your selling high and you can fill a hole else where like D....

• Wat 1

18 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

I agree but did Jim already said we have NHL talent in the ahl already? So kinda not rushing anyone.....I used those two cause I think they have the most upside to be first line players and by that I mean the ones petey needs.....petey doesn't need elite talent beside him look at Miller.....

so to me if Jake shows for the rest of the season he can handle it and that line plays good in the playoffs then yea I say trade Brock at the draft cause like you said he still has upside so your selling high and you can fill a hole else where like D....

Reminds me of something.

Didn’t the Oilers do something like this years ago. I think that worked out nice for them. Real nice. I think you might be on to something here Rowdy 

Edited by Devron44
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I have a feeling that once Brock improves his defensive game, he'll slot in with Bo.  Because LE is not a long term plan.  And Bo and Brock did have some chemistry prior to EP arrival. 

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

None of those players he mentioned in the AHL have yet to prove anything at the NHL level. Also our best talent in the AHL is our defenseman Brogan and perhaps the one with the most promise being Juolevi. Most of the AHL forwards look like they can maybe become bottom 6 guys, not top 6 ones save MAYBE Lind who could become a top 9.

As I have stated Jake is one of two top 6 forwards if he keeps up his play. Who can put up 60+ points next to Horvat? Boeser can. That right there has nothing to do with Petey. Good teams have a lot of good lines! Not just one!

Until someone steps in and proves at the NHL level that they're capable of producing and being effective as a top 6 RW at a level that is around what Boeser currently is we should not even consider moving him, let alone for a defenseman when we have some in Brogan, Juolevi and Rathbone who aren't far off either.

You can't think that all the forwards will be able to replace when they haven't played then none of the defenseman will pan out. We really need to take our time and see what we got. Otherwise you're really jumping the gun and can put us even in a bigger hole if things don't pan out.

Edited by Junkyard Dog
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

None of those players he mentioned in the AHL have yet to prove anything at the NHL level. Also our best talent in the AHL is our defenseman Brogan and perhaps the one with the most promise being Juolevi. Most of the AHL forwards look like they can maybe become bottom 6 guys, not top 6 ones save MAYBE Lind who could become a top 9.

As I have stated Jake is one of two top 6 forwards if he keeps up his play. Who can put up 60+ points next to Horvat? Boeser can. That right there has nothing to do with Petey. Good teams have a lot of good lines! Not just one!

Until someone steps in and proves at the NHL level that they're capable of producing and being effective as a top 6 RW at a level that is around what Boeser currently is we should not even consider moving him, let alone for a defenseman when we have some in Brogan, Juolevi and Rathbone who aren't far off either.

You can't think that all the forwards will be able to replace when they haven't played then none of the defenseman will pan out. We really need to take our time and see what we got. Otherwise you're really jumping the gun and can put us even in a bigger hole if things don't pan out.

Just wanted to add. Pearson has 2 years left which good chance someone’s going to have to fill that side too.

It is a good idea to temper expectations regarding prospects joining the Canucks.  We have been spoiled with phenomenal Calder candidates 3 years in a row.  

I trust JB to make the right moves.  He's done a good job so far.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Devron44 said:

Just wanted to add. Pearson has 2 years left which good chance someone’s going to have to fill that side too.

Yeah it's a good amount of time for someone like Pod/Hog to step in though even after that they'll need some time to adjust to the NHL level.

I made a post somewhere where I stated a lot of good lines have a pair of players that work really well together and have that complementary guy in regards to Miller/Petey and Virtanen. Perhaps Boes/Bo could be that as well? Time will tell.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Reminds me of something.

Didn’t the Oilers do something like this years ago. I think that worked out nice for them. Real nice. I think you might be on to something here Rowdy 

And my point went right over your head........

also some value Brock more then theirs , 

okay I'll do this simple for you if you take Brock out of the line up right now.....your opening a third line roster spot.....you get where I'm going with this sonny.....

if Jake plays good the rest of the season and in the playoffs and we know no one will take Loui's contract off our books so if his finally found a spot on Bo's wing then why pay to off load him?

so that would leave Brock on the third line and that's not his game.....his a skill guy but his not speed and skill....we are playing a speed game in Vancouver right? 

Get it now?

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Stop making trade proposals involving Boeser...

God you would think we had it so good the last 5 years. Are we that soon to forget how awful we’ve been over that span?

Now we’re gonna trade one of our young stars who’s a character guy and a key piece to the team?

Give your heads a shake.