The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] St. Louis Blues at Vancouver Canucks | Jan. 27, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Just now, RowdyCanuck said:

Has jakes speed not made that line more dangous?

also read the whole post! I said await until after the season so that means the draft smart one ! 

Your right cause a lot Gms will point at petey and say his making Jake a top line player just like how Tom Wilson or Brandon Saad or Andrew Ladd were top players......

brock has more market value and if Brock doesn't improve or shows maybe a different play style would fit him better then why not trade him?

cause in theory Jake would be our top rw and Brock would be our third.......so we would only have to fill a third line spot and we would probably add a good young D man.....so where's the holes in the roster?

ok i re-read your post, my apologies.

jakes speed is awesome for that top line.  Whats holding me back is im not convinced the kid can read plays that EP can dish out dynamically and on the fly.  Its not the foot speed im worried about.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Darius said:

Hey I fully admit i may be out to lunch here because I do appreciate some of you other observations but right now I see that top line winger position as BB.  Jake could be a very good second line player or a wicked 3rd line defensive guy that can burn you but I dont see the top tier processing power required to play with EP.  just my take and i could be fully wrong.

Lines are made of a primary pair and a winger that compliments that dynamic and adds a different element.  It's Miller and Petey, not Petey and Boes.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

Jake producing numbers similar to Boeser changes the gameplan, imo.  

I get what your saying Stawns, we need the best 4 forward lines, 3 D lines a starting goalie and a back up that we can get. 

Love Boes but others have to admit that "deadly shot" he had when he first came here is not there anymore for some reason. Injured still? He is still a great player who is still learning so he has not shown his full potential yet. That shot though was his "bread and butter". 

If I am looking at a player like Jake and a player like Boes playing as our top RW in the playoffs? Sorry guys but I want Jake to be that RW. He is bigger and faster and can still play with the big boys. As he has proven lately. 

I think that Boes still might have a spot on Bo's wing though as there are 2 bigger bodies on that line as there is playing with Petey. This is the ideal situation in the playoffs IMO. At least until Petey and Boes fully develop. 

When you look at our D core, on the other hand, we need help. We are an injury to Tanev or Edler short of being a catastrophe. Stech, Benn and Fantenberg are OK, but OK does not help us in the playoffs. Myers is a step up to these guys but he seems more effective with less ice time(responsibility).  Hughes is still learning and still needs seasoning. 

LE or Leivo may suffice to allowing Pearson and Bo to do their thing as secondary scoring but Boes definitely "UPS" that lines offense. 

So its a tough call as we need either that top winger or that top 4 D man. I think the top 4 D man is harder to come by and one that is younger to boot to fit in with the rest of the core. 

JB has a tough job ahead of him and all the while trying to keep everything within the Cap limit. I don't envy his job but I trust him. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Darius said:

ok i re-read your post, my apologies.

jakes speed is awesome for that top line.  Whats holding me back is im not convinced the kid can read plays that EP can dish out dynamically and on the fly.  Its not the foot speed im worried about.

I agree and that's why I say wait until after the season then you have a better idea of what you have.

also petey is showing his Crosby like and doesn't need elite winger but guys like Miller and Jake.....

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, stawns said:

Lines are made of a primary pair and a winger that compliments that dynamic and adds a different element.  It's Miller and Petey, not Petey and Boes.

this is my last response here, gonna leave it at this coz at the end of the day I want Jake and BB both on this team contributing to their best ability.  We need both those guys going to keep climbing the standings.

Miller and EP - you are right.   Thats the dynamic duo thats stirring the pot.  But before you write of BB as trade bait consider this: Miller was far more inconsistent and far more frustrating to deal with at BB's age.   I think what we have seen from BB is a baseline.  He will improve.

Id rather work on developing our own young D men than spend a king's ransom trying to trade for that unicorn top tier rw d.

Edited by Darius
  • Like 1

Well all I can say is I hope we continue to build internally. Boes is part of our young core as JB stated many times. I hope Virtanen continues his great play and Boes continues to develop his overall game. Looking forward to that.

And sorry for any snarly remarks. I do not agree at all that Boeser is a trade chip. And there’s plenty of growth to be done over the next few years for this team. I’m passionate about this team that JB has Built. And I believe we fans are too overreactive. Maybe we can make the playoffs for once and see what’s up then. A couple months ago everyone wanted Green fired and now Boeser seems to be the flavour of the week.

The likes of Petey and Hughes have given a lot of mis perception because they are so good and quick. This is pretty rare. 

Continue to Build and have your Team developed JB

• Cheers 1

18 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Agreed 100%. Moving star players for lesser pieces is a surefire way to to shoot a rebuild in the foot. It amuses me that Boeser goes a few games without a point and suddenly he's useless when the fact that this is the longest stretch he's ever gone without a point is a testament to his incredible consistency. 

Canuck fans are spoiled now. 

I agree that trading the best player in a trade is usually the wrong move. Especially now when we have too many nhl level players. If we were ever in a position to add quality from quantity it would be now.

But I disagree that Canuck fans are spoiled. If anything Canuck fans are still shell shocked from the Cam Neely trade. Which is really sad because it was so long ago and good trades have happened since. 

Fans remember the Neely trade but forget the Butcher/Quinn for Ronning, Courtnall, Momesso and Dirk trade And Sumdstrom for McLean and Adams, Corrie D'Alessio for Kay Whitmore ( Pat Quinn's vesion of filling the age gap). Trades from a time when it was neccesary to trade for volume because the cupboards were more bare than when Jim got here. Or Lumme for a 2nd (another Age gap move, but successful.)Lumme played 900 NHL games after the trade to Vancouver.

If we were spoiled it was during the Pat Quinn era.

If you want to look for current trades, Galchenyuk for Domi and Sergasev for Drouin are a couple of examples or quality and similar age players going in both direction.

I do not understand why so many fans like you view all trades to be DUMPS. 

2 hours ago, Devron44 said:

Of course he has the value. That’s why you don’t trade him. He’s more valuable on our team then a trade that may or may not work. Also we wouldn’t being having this conversation If LE wasn’t in the line up or Green didn’t switch the lines. People reading into this change is just crazy. We got some nice D prospects coming as well.

Canucks fans are absolutely nuts. We haven’t even seen the playoffs yet in how many years and we are talking about trading a top 10 RW. 22 year old. It’s absolute insanity.

I am a big fan of Brock.  I do see him as a tier below Hughes, Pettersson and Horvat.  These guys are not going to be even considered.  

Miller, Brock and now Jake are the second tier guys.  Not to deride or negate their abilities or value.  

It's a luxury of riches and fairly well balanced.  

This is when a GM has to decide if presented with a offer if it is better or worse for his club.  

I do not think Brock will ever be dealt, but if it was for an equal value player, that would be a GM decision.  

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, LateNightBus said:

My thought is how will BB react if he reads this forum, but I guess that comes along with being a Canucks player, the critiques and the laurels.

I surely hope not.  Players should never go to the forum and read.  It is akin to the players reading newspaper the morning after the game.   We as a fan are mostly not aware of the inside scene and make an ugly comment if things went wrong in a game or days after game.  It is of my opinion that players shouldn't go to a team or hockey forum, neither should the management team read anything about the team.  We as a fan know nothing until we become a part of insider.   Even if we are an insider, then we will no longer post any message on the forum.  We can only speculate on the forum for our entertainment and nothing more.    This is the job of the management team and the coaches to criticize the players privately and expect them to improve, not the fans on the forum.     We simply express the opinion of players by booing at the game and they know it.

1 hour ago, lmm said:

I agree that trading the best player in a trade is usually the wrong move. Especially now when we have too many nhl level players. If we were ever in a position to add quality from quantity it would be now.

But I disagree that Canuck fans are spoiled. If anything Canuck fans are still shell shocked from the Cam Neely trade. Which is really sad because it was so long ago and good trades have happened since. 

Fans remember the Neely trade but forget the Butcher/Quinn for Ronning, Courtnall, Momesso and Dirk trade And Sumdstrom for McLean and Adams, Corrie D'Alessio for Kay Whitmore ( Pat Quinn's vesion of filling the age gap). Trades from a time when it was neccesary to trade for volume because the cupboards were more bare than when Jim got here. Or Lumme for a 2nd (another Age gap move, but successful.)Lumme played 900 NHL games after the trade to Vancouver.

If you want to look for current trades, Galchenyuk for Domi and Sergasev for Drouin are a couple of examples or quality and similar age players going in both direction.

Those were two trade that laid the foundation for the Canucks '94 run, I don't think fans from that era will forget those trades, but I do agree with you I think we got pretty spoiled by some of the moves The Mighty Quinn made.

Edited by mikkim
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, lmm said:

We still have a bunch of prospects marinating that will be filling those depth roles while still on entry level deals/cheap contracts. Podkolzin, Hoglander, Lind, Madden, Rafferty, Wu, Jasek, Rathbone, etc....Not all of them will make it, but some of them will. Depth really isn't an issue for us going forward imo. In terms of top 6 forwards, we're probably set for the next decade or so, and the most glaring organizational hole we have is a game breaking Dman that can play the right side. Depth isn't a huge organizational concern right now imho, which is why I don't think it makes sense to move a gamebreaker like Boes in that kind of deal. 

On 1/27/2020 at 10:03 PM, 1-d said:

damnit my car flag must have become a fossil by now in the garage.

Lo the last time I used them was during the Cup run , we moved and I’ve yet to dig them out since there was no need .

hopefully digging them out soon ::D

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, mikkim said:

I think there is more to it than just that, Green rewarding Jake for his strong play of late and trying to create 3 potential scoring lines probably has a lot to do with the move

Yeah, I did state in one of my post, that roster fluidity is the intended goal to make it harder for teams to prep.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

We still have a bunch of prospects marinating that will be filling those depth roles while still on entry level deals/cheap contracts. Podkolzin, Hoglander, Lind, Madden, Rafferty, Wu, Jasek, Rathbone, etc....Not all of them will make it, but some of them will. Depth really isn't an issue for us going forward imo. In terms of top 6 forwards, we're probably set for the next decade or so, and the most glaring organizational hole we have is a game breaking Dman that can play the right side. Depth isn't a huge organizational concern right now imho, which is why I don't think it makes sense to move a gamebreaker like Boes in that kind of deal. 

your answer is almost like you interpreted my statement completely backwards.

How does adding quality from quantity equal adding depth?

How does having to many NHL forwards already equal adding depth?

anyway carry on.

9 minutes ago, lmm said:

your answer is almost like you interpreted my statement completely backwards.

How does adding quality from quantity equal adding depth?

How does having to many NHL forwards already equal adding depth?

anyway carry on.

I misinterpreted your post. Apologies. 

• Cheers 1

On 1/28/2020 at 3:20 PM, bree2 said:

yes we get attached to good players such as Brock who has given his all to this team. so Jake has played a few games and was okay , nothing that Brock hasn't done. Jake is fast I will give him that, but Physical as some say , one hit last night, Motte had 6.  Jake should be hitting more.  doesn't matter that Jake was drafted higher, Brock has been better overall, not just a few games. 

On 1/28/2020 at 3:49 PM, lmm said:

well Bree, yes and no.

In the last 15 games Jake has out scored brock 12-11, so they are close. But Brock has gone cold since moving to the Gaudette line while the Pete Line has continued to score with Jake. 

And sure Draft position does not matter, however Jake was considered something to be drafted that high, and he is a Jim pick. Many have written Jake off as an "at best 3rd liner" He is starting to look more like the player drafted 6th over all than a "3rd liner at best"

As for Jake's physicallity, sure we'd like more, but the smart player does not start shennanigans when beating the bigger Stanley Cup champs in a 2-1 game. The Canucks beat StL in a tight game. would you have preferred Jake started a melee that either got him a penalty or inspired StL to start taking runs at Hughes and Petey?  there are certainly times when I wish Jake would "back up his actions" but I don't think this game was one of them.

Hey Bree 

speaking of a game where a little more aggression was needed, that San Jose game really could have used some push back.

Virtanen 1 hit, Bo/Pearson/Myers/Roussell all with 0

9 hits total 2 each from Petey and Tanev and 3 from Motter in 7 mins

As the game got away from San Jo in the 3rd they started to take it to the Canucks physically with no push back what so ever

Motte injured... no push back

That was a game i'd like to have seen some physicality to slow the bruising down.

That is the kind of game where Canucks get injured