The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] St. Louis Blues at Vancouver Canucks | Jan. 27, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, mikkim said:

The morning guys said the idea came from fans texting them, emailing them, from reddit and hfboards, it was not there idea, controversy gets ratings, heck it made me listen through 15 minutes of commercials just to hear what the NHL exec had to say, unless it's a deal that blows JB's socks off I just don't see it happening

I think the idea came from an article in some sport’s journal, “The Athletic”.

There were a bunch of trade ideas, and the comments by NHL execs (off the record) on which team says no.  The NHL exec said the Canucks say no to Bess for Dumba, and the morning guys talked about why.  

I agree there is zero chance JB trades Bess.  

11 hours ago, Devron44 said:

If, if, If 

JB’s not trading him. He’s not a fool

A GM's job is to make the team better.  There's an over supply of wingers and a need for dmen and to replace the first they gave up for Miller.  Only 1-2 wingers are valuable enough in trade to bring back the pieces they need........Boes is the top of that list.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think the idea came from an article in some sport’s journal, “The Athletic”.

There were a bunch of trade ideas, and the comments by NHL execs (off the record) on which team says no.  The NHL exec said the Canucks say no to Bess for Dumba, and the morning guys talked about why.  

I agree there is zero chance JB trades Bess.  

That could very well be where it all started.

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

A GM's job is to make the team better.  There's an over supply of wingers and a need for dmen and to replace the first they gave up for Miller.  Only 1-2 wingers are valuable enough in trade to bring back the pieces they need........Boes is the top of that list.

Demko is being traded at the 2020 draft to recoup the first given to TBay.  We are resigning Tanev, and Rafferty will replace Stecher (who we let walk July first 2020.)

Bess is not getting traded.  We have the pieces in place already to win the Cup this spring.  :towel:

On 1/27/2020 at 10:40 PM, SergioMomesso said:

Boeser and Stech to Minny for Dumba and a 3rd?

You guys all laugh about this proposal and tell us all Boeser is untouchable. I’d like you all to re-watch the last 10 games and tell me how great he is. Everyone is giving Hughes a hard time on the STL goal. When it was Brocks pass back behind the net that put Hughes in a tough spot. And he did the same thing to Myers after a long shift in the dzone. 

10 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Yeah, Green and JB seems to be challenging him to evolve his game.

I think there is more to it than just that, Green rewarding Jake for his strong play of late and trying to create 3 potential scoring lines probably has a lot to do with the move

11 minutes ago, stawns said:

who are the wingers that can legit put up top line numbers on this team?

3 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

For all the rumblings about Brock, Gaudette 8s a shoot first center.  Gaudette's game is also evolving, but is there a player for player deal around for a setup guy that can get that 3rd line going?  Idk.

I'm not sure dealing Gaudette for a playmaking center is the solution.

If Gaudette is a 'shoot-first' center, perhaps that makes him a viable winger conversion - particularly when he's not quite NHL ready as a defensive center, not that strong in the faceoff circle yet....

Even with him on the wing, the team would still have 4 natural centers and 2 natural centers in the lineup playing wing (3 if you include Motte) - with 3 of them in the team's top 5 in assists.

It's an interesting question though.  With the number of centers they have, and a group of tyoung RW like Boeser, Virtanen, possibly Gaudette, as well as Lind and Bailey at the AHL level, and Podkolzin - maybe a prospect like Gaudette does become 'moveable' if they identify a player/position of greater need - and a NHL ready or near ready player that is also on an ELC - because players like Gaudette will give the team cap flexibility moving forward.  I'm not sure who might fit that criteria, and potentially be 'available' but it would be interesting to spitball.  I think having the wealth of talent at center, and both a veteran 'foundation' as well as developing 'succession' plans/players is a luxury the team probably enjoys having.

Edited by oldnews

16 minutes ago, stawns said:

The top of your list. LE doesn’t count as a second line winger. Pearson contract expires in 2 years. Virtanen has had a nice stretch but not proven

4 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

The top of your list. LE doesn’t count as a second line winger. Pearson contract expires in 2 years. Virtanen has had a nice stretch but not proven

You don't think Boes has the most value?  No other winger is going to bring in a top dman or get a top 10 pick, wouldn't you agree?

12 minutes ago, Darius said:

who are the wingers that can legit put up top line numbers on this team?

Miller, Virt, Pearson, Leivo

Podz, Hog, Lind

I think Boes is a great scorer, but Virtanen may make him expendable.  If he does, that's a huge return for the team, adding strength to an area of weakness (d) or getting a top 10 pick (or both).  It's nothing against Boes', at all.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

You don't think Boes has the most value?  No other winger is going to bring in a top dman or get a top 10 pick, wouldn't you agree?

Of course he has the value. That’s why you don’t trade him. He’s more valuable on our team then a trade that may or may not work. Also we wouldn’t being having this conversation If LE wasn’t in the line up or Green didn’t switch the lines. People reading into this change is just crazy. We got some nice D prospects coming as well.

Canucks fans are absolutely nuts. We haven’t even seen the playoffs yet in how many years and we are talking about trading a top 10 RW. 22 year old. It’s absolute insanity.

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Miller, Virt, Pearson, Leivo

Podz, Hog, Lind

I think Boes is a great scorer, but Virtanen may make him expendable.  If he does, that's a huge return for the team, adding strength to an area of weakness (d) or getting a top 10 pick (or both).  It's nothing against Boes', at all.

Come on Stawns...I said first line production.

The only guy that has shown me proven first line production is Miller.   Other than that I do not think you can win a stanley cup with any of those guys as your first line winger right now.  Leivo?  Pearson looks like a good second line guy.

Hog, Podz and Lind may be great prospects but ive lived through enough Canucks hockey to know what guys like Schroeder, Jensen, Schaeffer, Sandlak etc turned out to be after sounding promising.

Boeser is your only proven first line winger.  Jake has shown he can put up a 50 point pace so far, nothing more nothing less.  Boeser put up 50 points as a rookie.

• Thanks 1

Look I know the track

record is nice with Petey, Bess and Hughes. Now Virtanen. But you guys gotta stop pencilling these other prospects in Podz, Hogs, Lind Etc. They haven’t seen an NHL game yet. You really won’t know what you have for a year or 2 or 3 etc.

12 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Of course he has the value. That’s why you don’t trade him. He’s more valuable on our team then a trade that may or may not work. Also we wouldn’t being having this conversation If LE wasn’t in the line up or Green didn’t switch the lines. People reading into this change is just crazy. We got some nice D prospects coming as well.

Canucks fans are absolutely nuts. We haven’t even seen the playoffs yet in how many years and we are talking about trading a top 10 RW. 22 year old. It’s absolute insanity.

Sorry, I don't see it that way.  If Jake can put up similar point totals and add things to that line that Boes can't, then Boes' has far, far more trade value than he does as a third line winger on this team.  

I've been having this conversation for over a year now.  The d corp needs to be reinforced and JB wants that first back.......only two chips are going to bring that kind of return, Boes and one of the goalies.  

As I have said many times over, I don't believe this is something that's going to happen this season, but I do believe Boes will be moved at some point.  It's not insanity, it's a smart move that goes a long way to maintaining success.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

He is progressing, every year he has put up better numbers than the year before and this year his over all game is much better than previous years.

Just now, mikkim said:

He is progressing, every year he has put up better numbers than the year before and this year his over all game is much better than previous years.

Virtanen is my favourite player I’m well aware 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

Sorry, I don't see it that way.  If Jake can put up similar point totals and add things to that line that Boes can't, then Boes' has far, far more trade value than he does as a third line winger on this team.  

I've been having this conversation for over a year now.  The d corp needs to be reinforced and JB wants that first back.......only two chips are going to bring that kind of return, Boes and one of the goalies.  

As I have said many times over, I don't believe this is something that's going to happen this season, but I do believe Boes will be moved at some point.  It's not insanity, it's a smart move that goes a long way to maintaining success.

He’s not a third line winger! It’s temporary. Green is rounding his game. The Exact same thing he’s done in the past with Virtanen. 

12 hours ago, Devron44 said:

If, if, If 

JB’s not trading him. He’s not a fool

So you do understand it....so you weren't confused you were just using it as a down vote......ah

last I checked this is a forum and is filled with if's lol

its my opinion if you don't like it then ask....

Its not like I'm trolling and I actually laid out a decent theory....

You don't like it cause your a Brock fan......

21 minutes ago, Darius said:

Come on Stawns...I said first line production.

The only guy that has shown me proven first line production is Miller.   Other than that I do not think you can win a stanley cup with any of those guys as your first line winger right now.  Leivo?  Pearson looks like a good second line guy.

Hog, Podz and Lind may be great prospects but ive lived through enough Canucks hockey to know what guys like Schroeder, Jensen, Schaeffer, Sandlak etc turned out to be after sounding promising.

Boeser is your only proven first line winger.  Jake has shown he can put up a 50 point pace so far, nothing more nothing less.  Boeser put up 50 points as a rookie.

What's Virtanens production been for the last 20 games?  Did he produce on the third line?

Miller Petey Jake

Pearson Bo Leivo

I'm happy with that top 6 plus a possible top 10 pick or top 3 RD.