The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks interested in Wayne Simmonds

7 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

If we could get NJ to take LE, even if we retained a bit that would be awesome. Madden would be included for sure as would Stecher plus more

LE plus Madden plus Stecher for Simmonds and an expiring cap dump?  

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, Alflives said:

LE plus Madden plus Stecher for Simmonds and an expiring cap dump?  

we need to add a pick still, or maybe JB goes all in gets Vatanen in a deal, thinks he can re sign him for a decent amount and the package gets real big from us. That gets too complicated to figure out the logistics on here...

• Cheers 3

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

True.  That’s not my point.  It’s about bad signings that need to be dumped (by adding sweetener to each one) so we can afford to keep our current guys who are contributing to winning.  Those future assets are our pipeline of cheaper ELC support players who are supposed to be coming up over the next 5 years to keep our window for winning open longer.  That process diminishes our prospect pool, to a point where every one of them left needs to contribute to the big club as a support player to the current young core.  That’s not a recipe for sustainable winning.  

Of course, but it’s something basically every GM has to deal with at times. I’m not necessarily giving JB a free pass or defending him but he’s done an amazing job getting us those future assets and if those assets give us the ability to off load a “bad“ contact then I mean it’s served it’s purpose imo. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, WolfxHaley said:

Of course, but it’s something basically every GM has to deal with at times. I’m not necessarily giving JB a free pass or defending him but he’s done an amazing job getting us those future assets and if those assets give us the ability to off load a “bad“ contact then I mean it’s served it’s purpose imo. 

Again, I totally agree.  However, JB’s philosophy to rebuilding was to soften the blow to the team’s young players by trading picks/prospects for more NHL ready younger players and vets. As a result we have fewer of those top end grade A prospects than we should.  We are now stuck between a rock and a hard place.  Do we trade away our future pipeline of grade A prospects and to picks in order to dump the crappy cap eating contracts JB signed to soften the blow to the young guys, or do we keep our pipeline and picks as it is, but lose some of our really important contributors to winning to the cap crunch?  I have no answers here.  I just want to dump the bad cap eating contracts without losing any of our picks/prospects to do so, and sign guys who we need to win like Marky, Tanev, Stecher, Jake, etc.  What do we do?  

53 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Again, I totally agree.  However, JB’s philosophy to rebuilding was to soften the blow to the team’s young players by trading picks/prospects for more NHL ready younger players and vets. As a result we have fewer of those top end grade A prospects than we should.  We are now stuck between a rock and a hard place.  Do we trade away our future pipeline of grade A prospects and to picks in order to dump the crappy cap eating contracts JB signed to soften the blow to the young guys, or do we keep our pipeline and picks as it is, but lose some of our really important contributors to winning to the cap crunch?  I have no answers here.  I just want to dump the bad cap eating contracts without losing any of our picks/prospects to do so, and sign guys who we need to win like Marky, Tanev, Stecher, Jake, etc.  What do we do?  

I think we missed an opportunity this year - which is very difficult to do when we are in the mix but I think the Canucks should have given a few more guys a chance to play. 

I am not suggesting we scratch Eddie and play Rafferty 40 games but give these guys a sniff.

This will provide more information on what do to with Stecher, Tanev, Sutter etc.

Edited by Chris12345
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

I think we missed an opportunity this year - which is very difficult to do when we are in the mix but I think the Canucks should have given a few more guys a chance to play. 

I am not suggesting we scratch Eddie and play Rafferty 40 games but give thsse guys a sniff.

This will provide more information on what do to with Stecher, Tanev, Sutter etc.

Ya, that’s the kind of thinking I’m looking for.  Can JB and his staff know if a guy like Rafferty is ready to take on (let’s say) Stecher’s role by just watching him in the AHL?  Do players need NHL games for our coaches/scouts to make that decision?  If that’s true, then who can we let walk this summer because we know there is a younger and cheap guy coming up on his ELC to take those minutes?  

Rafferty for Stecher?

Lind for Leivo?

more? 

22 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Ya, that’s the kind of thinking I’m looking for.  Can JB and his staff know if a guy like Rafferty is ready to take on (let’s say) Stecher’s role by just watching him in the AHL?  Do players need NHL games for our coaches/scouts to make that decision?  If that’s true, then who can we let walk this summer because we know there is a younger and cheap guy coming up on his ELC to take those minutes?  

Rafferty for Stecher?

Lind for Leivo?

more? 

Exactly  because contract management plays a huge role as does timing.

Is Rafferty better than Tanev when his contract comes into play? Stecher?

Levio vs Lind with the dollar value?

I would have a goal that 1-2 rookies per year make it - but only 1 on D just simply for contract management.

Then your vets roll out for picks.

Put these rookies in tough roles too. Have fun against Vegas or Calgary. None of this LA stuff on the road.

Edited by Chris12345
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Chris12345 said:

Exactly  because contract management plays a huge role as does timing.

Is Rafferty better than Tanev when his contract comes into play? Stecher?

Levio vs Lind with the dollar value?

I would have a goal that 1-2 rookies per year make it - but only 1 on D just simply for contract management.

Then your vets roll out for picks.

Thanks for the explanation JB ... I mean Chris.  Seriously though, I’ve not heard things explained this well before.  Hearing this makes me relax, as a crazy fan, a bit.  I thought this year was our last year for being good.  Stop worrying Alf. :picard:

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Thanks for the explanation JB ... I mean Chris.  Seriously though, I’ve not heard things explained this well before.  Hearing this makes me relax, as a crazy fan, a bit.  I thought this year was our last year for being good.  Stop worrying Alf. :picard:

A scotch or 6 clears the brain.

Edited by Chris12345
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Chris12345 said:

A scotch or 6 levels the clears the brain.

Maybe it’s the curse of the day one Canuck’s fan or something?  But I find it really hard to think we can be a top team for more than a couple years, and then the inevitable crash to the bottom happens again.  Your explanation though makes me believe this current window for being good is sustainable.  Plus, this Scotch I’m drinking helps too.  :lol:

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Maybe it’s the curse of the day one Canuck’s fan or something?  But I find it really hard to think we can be a top team for more than a couple years, and then the inevitable crash to the bottom happens again.  Your explanation though makes me believe this current window for being good is sustainable.  Plus, this Scotch I’m drinking helps too.  :lol:

What scotch?

I am not afraid of top or bottom. I don't want second round exits for 6 years.

That's terrible. Very hard to rebound.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

I guess we just hope for the best from management! Ideally I’d love everything to be done perfectly without risks but risks can work out in our favour as well, just look at the Miller trade. 
I think we are pretty much in agreement with things though haha, just enjoy the ride and see how things unfold.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Chris12345 said:

What scotch?

I am not afraid of top or bottom. I don't want second round exits for 6 years.

That's terrible. Very hard to rebound.

Looking at our current roster, and young core (Marky as our goalie, with Demko in the wings) and the pipeline of really good young prospects coming along, is there any reason to not hope for a decade of winning and more than one Cup?  

2 minutes ago, WolfxHaley said:

I guess we just hope for the best from management! Ideally I’d love everything to be done perfectly without risks but risks can work out in our favour as well, just look at the Miller trade. 
I think we are pretty much in agreement with things though haha, just enjoy the ride and see how things unfold.

I think I’m just a super tense fan who worries WAY TOO MUCH.  Alf needs a slap. :picard:

49 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Looking at our current roster, and young core (Marky as our goalie, with Demko in the wings) and the pipeline of really good young prospects coming along, is there any reason to not hope for a decade of winning and more than one Cup?  

I've been a fan for long enough to assume that won't happen but hope for the best.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

I've been a fan for long enough to assume that won't happen but hope for the best.

I wasn’t a drinker until 1970, when I started routing for the Canucks .  Of course I wasn’t old enough to drink until 1970, but who’s counting?