The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] build the the best line up for next year.

On 5/15/2020 at 5:28 AM, Junkyard Dog said:

I don't think he replaces Tanev at all, at least not right away. His ceiling could be a solid top 6 D for all we know. He really is a wildcard in how good he'll be. People can assume but nobody will know till we all see him play. It would be dangerous to have him replace Tanev next year. It could really backfire and stall any sort of uptrend so we should probably try to keep Tanev if we want to be good

He already did replace Tanev in his rookie year, while not in total ice time, mostly zone starts and as a shut down guy for the other team's top players. As far as how good, the baseline is already pretty high for him, I like Tanev's game, Tryamkin may not be all the way there at first but he is still only 25.

Next year the team is going to struggle, the cap problems insure that as well as players getting old and the team needs to get 3 or 4 more draft picks onto the team, they need more than 4 players under 25 on it full time.

On 5/17/2020 at 11:21 PM, KKnight said:

Don't kid yourself. I think JV returns much more than a bottom pairing dman. JV was on pace to 45ish points. Up until now 45 points would have been a career high for Pearson and JV is 4 years younger than him. Not to mention he plays on our third line. I think people often devalue what Virt could bring back in a trade, but that's saying we even want to trade him. 

You are correct, for a hockey town there are a lot of fans here that believe whatever management says publicly and don't use their own opinions of what they see on the ice which is really odd.

JV has speed and a wicked wrist shot, all he needs is to be put into a top six role all year and have practice shooting, that he hits hard is a bonus not a necessity.

On 5/17/2020 at 7:21 PM, KKnight said:

Don't kid yourself. I think JV returns much more than a bottom pairing dman. JV was on pace to 45ish points. Up until now 45 points would have been a career high for Pearson and JV is 4 years younger than him. Not to mention he plays on our third line. I think people often devalue what Virt could bring back in a trade, but that's saying we even want to trade him. 

Maybe our definitions of second pairing defenseman are different.   On a good team Edler and Tanev are second pairing guys.    Does JV get you one of them at the same age?   Doubt it.   Pearson was a lot more established then JV, and well we traded guess what - a younger bottom pairing defenseman for him (and yes both needed a change is scenery).   I suppose it’s possible we could get a second pairing guy for him.   But it doesn’t seem likely - middle six players aren’t hard to acquire (and JV plays up and down the lineup including some time on the top line) heck Bear cleared waivers twice.   

Edited by IBatch

19 hours ago, Lazurus said:

He already did replace Tanev in his rookie year, while not in total ice time, mostly zone starts and as a shut down guy for the other team's top players. As far as how good, the baseline is already pretty high for him, I like Tanev's game, Tryamkin may not be all the way there at first but he is still only 25.

Next year the team is going to struggle, the cap problems insure that as well as players getting old and the team needs to get 3 or 4 more draft picks onto the team, they need more than 4 players under 25 on it full time.

You are correct, for a hockey town there are a lot of fans here that believe whatever management says publicly and don't use their own opinions of what they see on the ice which is really odd.

JV has speed and a wicked wrist shot, all he needs is to be put into a top six role all year and have practice shooting, that he hits hard is a bonus not a necessity.

What I’ve seen on JV is a team that has been extremely patient with a former sixth overall.   Management rushed him and maybe it created development issues, maybe it did not.  To say he’s beat out BB who came in after proper development and earned and kept his top six spot is kind of ridiculous given throughout his career JVs also had his chances (including at the start) and couldn’t make heads or tails of what to do with it.   He’s turned into a valuable player  - and just as likely had his breakout last season as he’s likely to get better given he’s right at that age where breakouts occur.    Had a good streak this year and bounced BB down to the third line...maybe more of that to come maybe not.     His cap hit is going up now and his value will diminish proportional to whatever gains he doesn’t make - the teams not getting the same breaks we were getting cap wise anymore with him.   Sure he’s fast.   Unfortunately his head doesn’t match the skill set or something (yet).   5 x 5 he’s one of our better players too.  If we sign TT our R side should be sorted for years and all three of those guys can move around.   Like everyone else I’m hoping he keeps putting it all together - and come playoff time his intangibles shine as well.    Not there quite yet. 

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

What I’ve seen on JV is a team that has been extremely patient with a former sixth overall.   Management rushed him and maybe it created development issues, maybe it did not.  To say he’s beat out BB who came in after proper development and earned and kept his top six spot is kind of ridiculous given throughout his career JVs also had his chances (including at the start) and couldn’t make heads or tails of what to do with it.   He’s turned into a valuable player  - and just as likely had his breakout last season as he’s likely to get better given he’s right at that age where breakouts occur.    Had a good streak this year and bounced BB down to the third line...maybe more of that to come maybe not.     His cap hit is going up now and his value will diminish proportional to whatever gains he doesn’t make - the teams not getting the same breaks we were getting cap wise anymore with him.   Sure he’s fast.   Unfortunately his head doesn’t match the skill set or something (yet).   5 x 5 he’s one of our better players too.  If we sign TT our R side should be sorted for years and all three of those guys can move around.   Like everyone else I’m hoping he keeps putting it all together - and come playoff time his intangibles shine as well.    Not there quite yet. 

BB has had bad injuries, he still wraps his wrist and his shot is not the same.

The status quo was a non playoff team or at best a team close to getting in the playoffs but not there and no money to get better no draft picks in the first two rounds this year.

JV has always been or had good defensive stats but it seems under this regime it all about putting the players in there place, dominating them rather than working with them. JV got labeled a big hitter and pegged to do that by this management, fact was he was bigger than most of his peers and hit them hard but he was drafted because he scored goals. That seemed to be a secondary skill in Benning's eyes even after two shoulder injuries, Square peg in round hole. Let the kid play and take the hitting as a big bonus not a requirement for a roster spot.

JV, sign him 4 mil avg over 6+ years with no clause.

Edited by Lazurus

On 5/21/2020 at 10:22 AM, Lazurus said:

No he didn't. Tanev is a high end shutdown guy and Tryamkin barely has a seasons worth of experience. As it stands now he should be expected as an improvement to the top 6.

To Minni: Boeser + Gaudette + Stetcher (rights)

To Van: Dumba + Greenway (rights)

Miller Pete Toffoli

Pearson Bo Virtanen 

Hoglander Greenway Big Mac
Motte/Rous Beagle Sutter

Hughes Dumba

Edler  Brogan

Tryamkin Myers

Markstom

Demko

2021/2022

additions Podkolzin, Rathbone, 

subtractions Edler, Sutter

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/16/2020 at 3:12 PM, smithers joe said:

81,500,000 to spend. only canucks that we own.  removing whoever you want. what would your team look like?

Miller-Pettersson-Toffoli

Pearson-Horvat-Boeser

Ferland-Sisson-Leivo

Roussel-Beagle-MacEwen

Motte

Edler-Dobson

Hughes-Myers

Tryamkin-Rafferty

Fantenberg

Markstrom

NewBackUp