The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks exploring possibility of trading Brock Boeser

6 hours ago, J-23 said:

Anyone that’s okay with giving up those guys for Tofolli to only play 10 games with us, is out of their mind.

Funny how everyone on these forums used to hype Madden up but now that’s he’s gone, he’s overrated.

You're massively oversimplifying it. First of all, who could've predicting a pandemic would halt everything? Were you able to predict that we would only get 10 games? Likely not, so we were acquiring him to finish the year and hopefully some playoffs games (in which we may still get this year). So what if we were struggling just before the pandemic? Toffoli had 10 points in 10 games, so he was contributing and we would've been far worse off without him and without Boeser at that time. We weren't giving up and management backed the team up and the players will appreciate that. Just see how the players feel in Buffalo with their management.

The hype for prospects is always high. Just like how our players are so overvalued in potential trade proposals. Madden was a decent prospect in which why he has value in a trade, but he certainly has his flaws too. This hasn't changed from before the trade or after.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

I would not trade BB6...however, if they are going to make a trade from a position of strength for a position player then it should be this guy ...not Risto.

2 memorial cups with two different teams....Pietrangelo potential.

29 pts in 20 games in the Memorial cup playoffs...this guy is a winner! Head and shoulders above Risto

Capture.PNG

Edited by Pete M
  • Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, Pete M said:

I would not trade BB6...however, if they are going to make a trade from a position of strength for a position player then it should be this guy ...not Risto.

29 pts in 20 games in the Memorial cup playoffs...this guy is a winner! Head and shoulders above Risto

[...]

NYI look to be in an even more complicated cap situation than the Canucks.   They have just over 10M in cap space to sign RFAs Barzal, Pulock and Toews.  

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, bree2 said:

well if they trade Boeser, then i will have to rethink about watching the Canucks.  because we have others on the team that are far less important than Boeser. 

Yeah, convince LE to retire, after paying his bonus, so he can go back to Sweden and play the next two years for $1.5/year ...if that is what they are willing to pay for an old player who is well known in Sweden....problem solved, and LE would be leaving on a good note.

59 minutes ago, Pete M said:

Capture.PNG

And what makes you think Noah Dobson is even available? Would you trade Quinn Hughes for say Ehlers?

I get that you don't rate Risto highly (and that's fine as that's your opinion), but you're not being realistic in your valuation of Brock. If you want Dobson, you're adding a significant amount with Brock to attain him if NYI wants to part with an ELC dman that is younger and helps with their own cap issues.

• Cheers 2

8 hours ago, WCE said:

Depending what we could get 

I would consider moving Boeser for Seth Jones or Damon Severson

Or maybe clear more cap space Boeser & Eriksson for Shea Weber & others 

Seth Jones is a #1 dman, not a chance Boeser is even close to that conversation. Severson on the other hand is probably pretty close in valuation.

• Cheers 2

10 hours ago, NHL'er said:

I would consider Boeser for Dobson +

Agreed.

Teams deal players they are strong in position wise for players they are weak in position wise.  Suddenly our top 6 is excellent.

Trading Boeser for an equally good young player on D that has first pairing upside would not be a bad idea if we could also dump some cap like Ericksson's corpse at the same time.

Interesting indeed.

9 hours ago, WCE said:

Depending what we could get 

I would consider moving Boeser for Seth Jones or Damon Severson

Or maybe clear more cap space Boeser & Eriksson for Shea Weber & others 

Haha...wow. Weber is 34. Boeser does not get traded for a 34 year old. That would be stupid. 

No offence.

7 hours ago, mll said:

Thomas Drance says that there's a widespread sense that top players will continue to be paid and the players that are going to be squeezed are the mid-level veterans - the late 20s players in the 2-3.5M range. He thinks it's problematic for the Canucks as they have several players that fall in that category which makes finding trade partners particularly challenging.  Teams are not looking to add a Roussel at 3M or Sutter at 4.4M.  MacIntyre doesn't even think the Canucks will be able to move Benn at 2M.

Luckily for us those talking heads are constantly wrong about what happens in real life. 

14 hours ago, J-23 said:

What?

I don't see what is so confusing. If Hoglander is ready to step into a top 6 role (I don't like him in a non scoring role) then we don't need both Taffoli and Boeser. If he is not there, then I want our top 6 to include Boeser. I know it is unlikely, but that is the point, its fine to explore options, but it should be very unlikely we trade Boeser. 

49 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Seth Jones is a #1 dman, not a chance Boeser is even close to that conversation. Severson on the other hand is probably pretty close in valuation.

The Devils identified D as their weakness.  Would they even consider parting with him.  I do think they would be interested in Boeser but possibly for draft picks rather than create a hole on an already weak defence.  

Fitzgerald has been confirmed in the GM job and he was talking of using picks to find players.  That was pre-pandemic but not sure much has changed since and he's now in charge.  He calls Hischier, Hughes and Blackwood the pillars to build around.  He referenced the trades they made to get Palmieri and Johansson (both went for draft picks) as the kind of trades they are looking to make.  

Benning was apparently interested in Tyson Barrie - there were rumours last draft and again this TDL.  There's no more UFA interview period but free agency could possibly open up the same day as the draft if the schedule is respected and the finals don't go to game 7.  On the same day they could sign Barrie in free agency and trade Boeser for draft picks.

7 minutes ago, mll said:

The Devils identified D as their weakness.  Would they even consider parting with him.  I do think they would be interested in Boeser but possibly for draft picks rather than create a hole on an already weak defence.  

Fitzgerald has been confirmed in the GM job and he was talking of using picks to find players.  That was pre-pandemic but not sure much has changed since and he's now in charge.  He calls Hischier, Hughes and Blackwood the pillars to build around.  He referenced the trades they made to get Palmieri and Johansson (both went for draft picks) as the kind of trades they are looking to make.  

Benning was apparently interested in Tyson Barrie - there were rumours last draft and again this TDL.  There's no more UFA interview period but free agency could possibly open up the same day as the draft if the schedule is respected and the finals don't go to game 7.  On the same day they could sign Barrie in free agency and trade Boeser for draft picks.

Yeah I wasn't suggesting that the Devil's make that trade, just saying in terms of value.

I don't think we can afford Barrie (nor am I too interested in acquiring him), but yes that is another route that could be taken.

• Cheers 1

To me the point is something has to move............period

So, when we look at it, it is one of the following

1. We trade a prospect or pick along with a cash dump to sign everyone we want

2. We let an asset walk for free and accept the lose

3. WE trade a current player for futures to open up cap space

So, again, ok, does our current team have the potential to win the cup as it is? Keeping Tanev, Markstrom, Toffoli and lessers, are we strong enough to play the Tampa Bays, Colorado's, Edmonton's, Boston's, Washington's and Pittsburgh's etc., and beat them in a 7 game cup final series. Could we even get to the finals with that team? Keeping in mind we would have lost one of Podkolzin, Hoglander or our 2021 1st?

Or are we better to let one Tanev or Toffoli walk away and promote from within?

Or are we better to move a player from our strength, to remove cap, and promote from within?

I see these as the questions............I am not into the blame game....unscheduled things have changed with Covid-19, you can't blame anyone of that.

I absolutely do not see how moving Boeser's 5.875 Million for a RHD fixes our current cap problem, as much as it does fix a positional need, and I believe that fixing the cap issue is the goal on Benning's table.

5 minutes ago, Baer. said:

If somebody calls and offers a young top 4 D for boeser you take it and run

Depends on who. DeAngelo is a young top 4 D. But I feel like that leaves us hurting in the defensive end quite a bit. So I dunno if I "take that and run." If we're trading Boeser it needs to be a do it all Dman. Like a Parayko. 

1 minute ago, N7Nucks said:

Depends on who. DeAngelo is a young top 4 D. But I feel like that leaves us hurting in the defensive end quite a bit. So I dunno if I "take that and run." If we're trading Boeser it needs to be a do it all Dman. Like a Parayko. 

He had 53 points...New York wouldn't offer that deal ...

6 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Yeah I wasn't suggesting that the Devil's make that trade, just saying in terms of value.

I don't think we can afford Barrie (nor am I too interested in acquiring him), but yes that is another route that could be taken.

I would target more reliable players in their own zone rather than Barrie, Dumba (not that the Wild would trade him for a winger) but there was apparently interest in Barrie.  Don't think he's going to get his ask of last year.  He hasn't had the best of seasons and the cap is staying flat.