The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brian Burke

Rate this topic

cuporbust

Brian Burke   

125 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Burke was one of the better GMs we have had. Sedins top that list. That was a HOF deal to get the picks to draft both of them.

Hes as boastful and arrogant as they come. But he has a Stanley cup ring as a GM, and has had success in more than one market. Hes candid , maybe too candid at times, but i love listening to his insight on running a hockey team, player contracts, league issues, and being in a hockey market. Really there are few left like him. We don't need a crowd of Burkes but we do need someone of his kind to balance off the ass kissers on the airwaves. Its always good to see someone take the other side, or have a free opinion.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

Burke was one of the better GMs we have had. Sedins top that list. That was a HOF deal to get the picks to draft both of them.

Hes as boastful and arrogant as they come. But he has a Stanley cup ring as a GM, and has had success in more than one market. Hes candid , maybe too candid at times, but i love listening to his insight on running a hockey team, player contracts, league issues, and being in a hockey market. Really there are few left like him. We don't need a crowd of Burkes but we do need someone of his kind to balance off the ass kissers on the airwaves. Its always good to see someone take the other side, or have a free opinion.

Well said.   Also his arrogance is almost completely in the past and really the most noticeable during the Burke/Lowe rivalry-debacle or whatever you want to call it.  That 18 months was media mana and everyone ate it up with smiles laughs grins and “holy f!cks can you believe these tow guys ?!!”   Lowe was a terrible GM, a great player though as his SIX cup rings boasted... his angle was constantly taking the Bert and Ernie sesame  street show - you know always poking away at Ernie and driving him nuts.  (Not unlike  the “true” Ernie show which was Goodenow vs Bettman ha ha) ...

It all started with Lowe offering a ridiculous 5million or so offer sheet to Penner.  Burke went ballistic (and rightly so) - saying things very close to “you might as well have just lobbed a hand grenade into every GMs roster handing out third contract money right away” every single chance he got - which was practically every day as the media grabbed onto it like a bull-dog on a bone half full of meat.     Lowe’s reaction was mostly saying things like Burke is a blowhard with no substance that loves the camera.  It was genius really because the media wouldn’t ever leave it alone - after every game would bring it up and it just made Burke look angrier and angrier and more like - well Ernie when Burt finally pushed him over the edge and he blew his top completely.  

In the middle of the drama Lowe’s stance was always his cup rings - championships... and Burke couldn’t beat him with that angle so started making it really personal - the point where he publicly challenged Lowe to settle it “in the ring in some barn without any media “....probably not wise as Lowe accepted his challenge calling him out like Rocky 5 “ Anytime - Anywhere “ ha ha.  I found the entire thing hilarious until tradegy struck and the thing stopped.  It’s obvious the personal toll of all the constant attention from the media was heavy - when your favourite son is dying wish is for them to make up.  

Thing is Burke was right.   It was a bad move.  It was also somewhat predictive in how things are going (which he has also expressed further concern about), star RFAs have started cashing in way way more then they should as of late.   Thankfully they must have some solidarity on the issue as last summer at least they wouldn’t sign them to the last minute and most received a lot less then expected.   Keller’s contract among others (Marner, Mathews etc) seemed to be 3rd contracts right?  

Burke has forgotten more about hockey then I guess most of us know.   He was was by far the most influential Canuck employee all-time (remember he was Quins right hand man) ... and he’s refreshing.   The arrogance is still there simply by reputation more then what he portrays.   Liked what he said when QHs was drafted about what they used to look for (Ohlund,Edler  Allen etc) in a defenseman - nothing at all wrong with that ... if QHs was 6’4” wouldn’t we all be that much happier about it?   And his Myers take was very very refreshing too.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1

On 7/13/2020 at 4:38 PM, cuporbust said:

Are you a fan , or not? Guy takes a pretty hard stance on things that could make him look like an idiot. Then again, he did do allot for this team. Are you a Burke fan or not ?

Yes, that is a small body indeed Brian. How's it worked out so far? Epic fail on this analysis that's for sure. Yes he signed , and no his size hasn't mattered. 

Burke is awesome.  His insight on the inner workings of a team and the process are well beyond what other analysts offer.  I enjoy his takes.

FYI,  I’d suggest watching his whole take on Hughes at the draft,   Not just 1 line.  He was very high on him,  and had lots of good things to say.  When you take 1 line out of a 2 minute talk,  you can make anyone look bad.

• Like 2

On 7/14/2020 at 2:59 PM, N7Nucks said:

Everyone has some garbo takes. So I don't hold Burkies misses against him, just like I'd hope people here wouldn't hold my garbage takes against me. Lol. He has passion about the sport and a lot of knowledge. He is by no means perfect, but I do respect his knowledge. I was also worried about Hughes' size at the draft. So again, not something I'd say "wow look at that dumb take." Guy is human like the rest of us. Right sometimes, wrong sometimes. But overall I think he is one of the better media personalities. He's not a guy that'll say "Canucks looking to trade Boeser" or something equally idiotic. So he is not a guy I have near the top of my "don't listen to" list.

Here's my "dumb take". Burke was on the draft day show to hype up everyone's prospects, which he had been doing until it got to Hughes. Instead of hyping our newest prospect he belittled his size. So screw that guy.

30 minutes ago, buddhahoodlum said:

Here's my "dumb take". Burke was on the draft day show to hype up everyone's prospects, which he had been doing until it got to Hughes. Instead of hyping our newest prospect he belittled his size. So screw that guy.

I just watched a clip from the Sportsnet youtube, and all he said was "That's a small body gentleman, that's a small body". I don't see that as belittling, I see that as an observation. Lol. Did you see Hughes at the draft? He looked very small. There was a little girl on stage that looked almost as big as him. I love the guy, but saying he was small wasn't a slight. It was just a fact. He's gotten bigger since then. So it doesn't matter in the long run that he was really small at the draft, but it was something to take note of. Most 18 year olds need to work on getting bigger, that was probably the line of thinking Burkie was going on. I dunno, but again. I don't wanna start crying over his statement that Quinn was small, cause that was something I too noticed when I was looking at Hughes pre-draft.

• Cheers 2

6 hours ago, buddhahoodlum said:

6 hours ago, BCNate said:

Burke is awesome.  His insight on the inner workings of a team and the process are well beyond what other analysts offer.  I enjoy his takes.

FYI,  I’d suggest watching his whole take on Hughes at the draft,   Not just 1 line.  He was very high on him,  and had lots of good things to say.  When you take 1 line out of a 2 minute talk,  you can make anyone look bad.