The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sharing Thoughts on Covid, Hockey and Other Things (Warning TLDR)

Rate this topic

-DLC-

On 8/5/2020 at 9:13 PM, NucksIn50 said:

Well said Deb and yes you do you Bri... fingers crossed for ya and hope you land the new job. :)

Unfortunately I was not selected for the position. It gives me the opportunity to apply for more jobs, and find the best job for me. 

I was thinking back to over a year ago when I was in Vancouver for the NHL Draft.  It was the last time I was in Canada, and I remember walking around Vancouver, and randomly thought for an instant, that I better enjoy this because one day I may not be allowed to enter Canada. It was a random thought, out of the blue.  And I then remember telling myself, no that is not going to happen, I will always be allowed to go to Canada. 

A year later, the border is closed between the United States and Canada, and will probably be closed for months and months. It's strange how these random thoughts come to mind, and you never dream of it happening. 

There are many unknowns with the Coronavirus.  I went to London, England back in January.  I had to be exposed to this virus, and this virus had to be circulating unknown in Europe and the US in January.  I took the Tube many mornings when it was extremely crowded, including the evenings, and went to many of the tourist spots.  I even spent hours and went shopping in Terminal 5 which is a hub for International travel and very busy, and took the Tube to and from the airport.  I also arrived back to SeaTac airport from London on the same day as the person with the first known case of this virus in the United States.  I spent over an hour at customs because they were not satisfied with my purchases, and I really doubt they cleaned the self kiosks at the time to swipe your passport.  So many unknowns. 

• 2 weeks later...

I tried to use the shutdown to reset some lifestyle habits and so far, so good.  I saw that many people succumbing to Covid were obese and I guess that was the trigger to put many things into action that I already knew.  My first step was to not eat in the car.  I was so bad for eating during my commute to work (and you do not eat dark leafy greens in the car).  It was easy to do, since I was working from home during the start of the lockdown.  I noticed once I stopped doing that my cravings for sweets decreased too.  I then tried to up my protein at breakfast.  That really helped keep me full during the day.  I would also end the day with some yogurt as well.  I've also upped my veggie intake by having a rotating type of salad on the ready in the fridge.  That really helps me portion control more calorie dense things like pasta during meals. 

I did a couch to 5K program too.  I'm now running once every 3 days for 35 minutes.

All in all, I've lost 30lbs since mid-March.  I still have a ways to go before I'm at a healthy weight but I don't want a crash diet so I will stay the course as long as I keep losing.

As far as hockey goes, it has come back like an old friend.  Same emotions, same familiarity, same enjoyment, as if it never left.  Heh, with the money I'm saving not eating crap in the car I've started to put together a Canuck card binder.  It's my goal to have in this binder every player that has played a game with the Canucks, their hockey card in a Canuck jersey.  Once I get an online order I made, I'll be about 80% of the way there.  I'm putting them in order of games played so here is page 2 (#10 to 18 on the all-time Canucks game played list):

Spoiler

1171631910_page2.thumb.jpg.0b89024706aebcee8275ebf8f697ef44.jpg

Heh, I know some people have made fun of the Canucks and all their jersey changes over the years, but it does make for a more interesting binder.  I don't think it gets more Canadian than fighting temptation for junk food with hockey cards but 5 months in it's still working :gocan:

• 3 weeks later...

When I take my essential walks, I am frustrated of these non mask wearers.  I am tired of crossing the street when I see someone not wearing a mask.  Why can't everyone wear a mask? Gosh, there are all sorts of masks out there for everyone! Even those Maple Leafs masks! Or better than that, Boston Bruins! 

Trying to think ahead and make plans.  I saw that the NKOTB concert is next year.  I need to make a plan for something exciting.  Something to look forward to. It's my way of helping myself get through this. 

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...

Okay, I'm going to share something personal here!

In early March, my daughter started getting mild fever and fatigue and muscle weakness. I had to leave work to pick her up from school several times as well as coming from home several times as well. It wasn't known yet that those were symptoms of COVID. I kept her home the week before spring break.

I started getting sick soon after. I missed a few days of work before we closed it up because of the virus. We are just getting going again soon. Anyway, I didn't know that voice messages cost me 28 cents per until after COVID hit. I got a ton of messages and it drained my phone. I didn't even get to check the messages as they only hold them for 5 days. My computer started glitching because I couldn't get security updates because of a key? I suddenly had no phone and no email access.(doesn't recognize device). I started getting even sicker. The news told people not to go to ER unless very ill and to get a hold of your doctor by phone etc.instead. It got to the point of incredible pain in my chest and every time I coughed it was like an equalizer jumping upwards and downwards at the same time. Pain and weakness and all sorts of other symptoms.

My biggest fear was passing away in the night and my daughter finding me. I couldn't put her through that, so I planned to walk some where else or try to get to ER if I could if it got much worse. I actually put my shoes and coat on for several nights and sat in the dark terrified to fall asleep. Thankfully, I started getting better and eventually recovered. I have been getting recurring symptoms since then and my daughter has as well. I want to get tested to find out if we had it back then.

Years ago I injured myself at work. My doctor said muscle sprain if it gets worse come back and see me and promptly went on an 8 week vacation. His replacement refused to do any tests even though the injury got more and more painful instead of getting better in 7-10 days. They stuck to muscle sprain and I got no diagnostic tests and no proper treatment. Years later they have found a broken rib that healed funny along with cartilage damage along the rib which comes out of place from time to time and takes around 6 weeks to settle back down once it is put back in place. They also found an enlarged muscle beneath my scapula with fatty masses indicating a previous muscle tear beneath the scapula. I now also have arthritis and bone spurs. Chronic pain and discomfort causes me to have anxiety attacks and depression. Doctors have tried to put me on Oxy for pain. When I refuse they say, I guess you're not in that much pain then. I had a severe reaction to an anti-depressant which almost killed me. Now I am very leery of pharmaceuticals.

Doctors now don't want to do things for me that other people take for granted. A doctor once apologized for not being able to help me and said that they are there as gatekeepers and decide who gets treatment and who doesn't. He now practices in another province. So, I wanted to know what kind of test to ask for so I don't get a run around from my doctor.  I got some decent replies from several posters and then a series of smug responses from a poster who was never trying to be helpful, but instead chose to be a condescending d-bag. CDC at its finest.

Edited by RWMc1
  • Upvote 1

Been at home for months except for taking essential walks mainly at night. My sleeping schedule is messed up. Read an article on CNN that the pandemic is not forever.  I've been thinking where I would love to go, and if there were no restrictions and safe, I would love to go:

Camping - San Juans, Northern Vancouver Island, Lake Quinault 

Whistler

La Prairie, QC

Iceland

Does anyone else have a place they would love to go or do that they cannot do right now?

1 hour ago, brilac said:

Been at home for months except for taking essential walks mainly at night. My sleeping schedule is messed up. Read an article on CNN that the pandemic is not forever.  I've been thinking where I would love to go, and if there were no restrictions and safe, I would love to go:

Camping - San Juans, Northern Vancouver Island, Lake Quinault 

Whistler

La Prairie, QC

Iceland

Does anyone else have a place they would love to go or do that they cannot do right now?

Vietnam's next on my list, followed by Cuba.  I don't think I'll feel comfortable getting on any plane prior to a vaccine though.

• Like 1
23 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Vietnam's next on my list, followed by Cuba.  I don't think I'll feel comfortable getting on any plane prior to a vaccine though.

I'd love to go to Vietnam. I'm considering my options for potentially moving overseas after this pandemic is over. Places like Singapore, Malaysia, Japan, New Zealand, most of Europe I'd also seriously consider.

The best thing would be if I could keep working remotely (I have been since I got out of university in April) and just be able to live anywhere. lol

EDIT: I also want to say I'm glad things have gotten better for you deb and, brilac, I hope you are able to find a good position somewhere (if you haven't already looking at the age of this thread).

Edited by The Lock