The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Age learning to Skate

UKNuck96

11 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

I like Bobby Hull story.

He and his sister got a second hand pair of skates to share as kids.  So Bobby and sister each had i skate to use.

They learned to skate on 1 skate with a shoe on the other foot.....

After a few months.... i think he convinced his sister to give him her skate... So he had 2 to use. 

Amazing story of coming from a not well off family and having the drive to excel.   I think i got the story more or less correct. 

Doesn't make a lot of sense to me...why not just share both skates, by taking turns....:unsure:

Also, Bobby had a brother (Dennis) but I don't think he had a sister....

10 hours ago, UKNuck96 said:

Question for the parents out there - how old were your kids when you first took them skating and when did they start getting regular lessons? 

My 2 daughters started skating @ 3 yrs old. they are now 7 & 9 and they both are star 1 figure skaters, level 3 powers skaters and play hockey on two different hockey teams, mixed house and all girls atom\pee wee team

10 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Doesn't make a lot of sense to me...why not just share both skates, by taking turns....:unsure:

Also, Bobby had a brother (Dennis) but I don't think he had a sister....

OOps...  it is Gordie Howe that told that story....  sorry.

Gordie also played forward , D and goalie on his childhood teams....

Edited by kingofsurrey

2 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Were you outside, or at one of the arenas? I can't recall if it was cold enough for lakes to freeze over last year....

Good Morning Rupert

At the arena, just before the Covid...funny thing is that you can pretty much get onto the ice at Prince Rupert anytime, but it was just to get out.....

O another note.....I will have to look you up when I am up there........there must be a coffee in the works somewhere.......

PS....I might even be moving that way...closer to the Grand Kids in Port Edward

5 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Good Morning Rupert

At the arena, just before the Covid...funny thing is that you can pretty much get onto the ice at Prince Rupert anytime, but it was just to get out.....

O another note.....I will have to look you up when I am up there........there must be a coffee in the works somewhere.......

PS....I might even be moving that way...closer to the Grand Kids in Port Edward

Sounds like a plan. You can PM me when you're in town. (I work pretty close to Tim's, so that's probably the best option)

• Cheers 1

We first put our son on skates when he was 3, but he didn't really enjoy it. At 4 it was slightly better. At 5 it started to resemble skating and he would also occasnioally shoot the puck properly. The wife won't let him play organized hockey, though - too dangerous. Not that he would show any interest in it...