The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Shedding Cap Space

Sure we would like to have size, but Vegas speed really killed us. 

The Question is who stays and who goes . 

Ideally we need to shed cap space. 

Sutter- 4.375 Million 

Beagle- 3 Million 

Eriksson- 6 Million

Ferland- 3.5 Million

Pearson- 3.75 Million

Toffoli- 4.6 Million

Roussel- 3 Million

Edler- 6 Million

Myers- 6 Million

So what does Benning do this off season with Toffoli, Markstrom, Demko, Tanev and our cap issues. 

Free Agents 

Dustin Byfuglein

Alex Pietrangelo

Taylor Hall

Mikeal Granlund

Justin Shultz

Tyson Barrie 

Torey Krug

Evgeni Dadonov

Matt Martin

Mike Hoffman

Alex Galchenyuk

Erik Gustafsson

Pat Maroon

Sami Vatenen 

I would likely avoid free agency these next few years and just focus on shedding salary while re-upping our RFA’s.    

1) Let Markstrom, Toffoli, Domingue, Fantenberg, and Leivo walk.

2) Unqualify Stecher

3) Trade Baertschi with 50% retention

4) Re-Sign Tanev

5) Re-sign Virtanen, Motte, and Gaudette.

6) Sign a guy like Thomas Greiss as a back-up to Demko

7) LTIR Ferland

8) Domingue off the books.

I think doing all of the above would make us cap compliant for next season while still allowing us to be competitive.

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Eriksson (Podkolzin in April)

Motte-Gaudette-Virtanen

Roussel-Beagle-MacEwen

Sutter

Edler-Myers

Hughes-Tanev

Juolevi-Benn

Rafferty

Demko 

Greiss

In the following off-season:

1) Tryamkin replaces Edler (if not Tryamkin, some other all situations left D via UFA).

2) Hoglander replaces Pearson.

3) Let Sutter walk.

4) Eriksson moved with a very small sweetener to a cap floor team (1 year left + only 2 million in real dollars left).  If no one bites of Eriksson, pay him 2 million under the table to retire.  
5) Let Jordie Benn walk

6) Spooner off the books.

Here is one thing that I just noticed however:

Demko will be an RFA next season.  IF the Canucks commit to Demko and let Markstrom walk this year, it means that we will have to re-up Demko at the same time that we have to re-up both Hughes and Pettersson. .    

Anyways - if they find a way to do that, here is what the team could look like:

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Hoglander-Horvat-Podkolzin

Motte-Gaudette-Virtanen

Roussel-Beagle-MacEwen

Lind

Hughes-Myers

Juolevi-Tanev

Tryamkin-Rafferty

Rathbone

Demko

[Greiss or Dipietro]

I wish we could shed Sutter, Roussel, Beagle, Eriksson and Baer.  Who knows about Ferland ( he should just retire).

Pearson need to work on getting lean and faster, same with Toffoli. 

Need size with speed and we just dont have that. 

Maybe a sign and trade for Markstrom?

Dadonov, Hoffman, Granlund depeding on price?

Edited by Patrick Jane

To van:

Max domi

To mtl:

Roussel

Brisebois

2021 2nd

To van:

2021 2nd

To njd:

Tanner pearson 

To Van:

Eeli tolvainen

To Nsh:

Jake virtanen 

Sign tanev

Sign Domi

Sign Wayne Simmonds

Sign dadonov

Sign crawford 

Sign motte 

Miller pettersson Boeser

Domi horvat Dadonov

Tolvainen Gaudette Simmonds

Motte beagle macewen 

Edler Rafferty

Hughes Tanev

Rathbone Myers

Demko

Crawford

22 minutes ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

To van:

Max domi

To mtl:

Roussel

Brisebois

2021 2nd

To van:

2021 2nd

To njd:

Tanner pearson 

To Van:

Eeli tolvainen

To Nsh:

Jake virtanen 

Sign tanev

Sign Domi

Sign Wayne Simmonds

Sign dadonov

Sign crawford 

Sign motte 

Miller pettersson Boeser

Domi horvat Dadonov

Motte beagle macewen 

Edler Rafferty

Hughes Tanev

Rathbone Myers

Demko

Crawford

Montreal says eff no.  A couple of borderline NHL players and a 2nd is not going to get a 25 year old C who put up 72 points last season (when he was actually used as a C with decent line mates.).  

Picking the two French players off the roster isn’t going to add any value to the deal 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

To van:

Max domi

To mtl:

Roussel

Brisebois

2021 2nd

To van:

2021 2nd

To njd:

Tanner pearson 

To Van:

Eeli tolvainen

To Nsh:

Jake virtanen 

Sign tanev

Sign Domi

Sign Wayne Simmonds

Sign dadonov

Sign crawford 

Sign motte 

Miller pettersson Boeser

Domi horvat Dadonov

Motte beagle macewen 

Edler Rafferty

Hughes Tanev

Rathbone Myers

Demko

Crawford

Poile complains about inconsistency and work ethic.  Doubtful he'd see Virtanen as a solution.  Just a few weeks ago he talked of how he thinks Tolvanen could be a fit playing with Duchene.  

Montreal was interested in Roussel at the time but were not willing to beat what the Canucks offered him.  Insiders reported that he had a lot of suitors and Canucks had to overpay to get him as they were lower in the standings.  It's a flat cap and after playing only 7:30 on average during this post-season and just running around not sure there will be many teams, if any, interested in him.   Friedman was just saying that they are upset with Domi because of his lack of discipline and the dumb penalties he takes - Roussel does just that.

NJD's beat writer Masisak says he doubts NJD would want to keep both Gusev/Palmieri because they re not in the age group of the core they are building around.  Same would apply to Pearson.

Simmonds has lost a lot of foot-speed.  Great in the room by all reports but not sure he can hold a 3rd line role anymore.  

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

I would Like this Eriksson, Sutter, Beagle, Roussel, Baer, Benn, Ferland (LTIR), Markstrom Out

Markstrom( Rights), Eriksson, Olli Julevi  for 4th round any team. No retaining in Eriksson contract. 

Sutter, Baer and Benn to Ott for 4th round pick

Beagle, Roussel to NJ for 4th round pick 

Shed cap space. We wont get much 

Sign Toffoli 2 year 4 million

Sign Hoffman 5 year 6.5 Million

Sign Mikeal Granlund 1 Year 4 million

Sign Matt Martin 1 year 2 Million

Sign Tanev 3 year 5.5 Million

Miller Petey Boeser 

Hoffman Horvat Toffoli

Pearson Granlund Virtanen

Motte Gaudette Martin 

Hughes Tanev

Edler Myers

Fantenberg Stecher 

Demko 

?

14 hours ago, DarkIndianRises said:

I would likely avoid free agency these next few years and just focus on shedding salary while re-upping our RFA’s.    

2) Unqualify Stecher

4) Re-Sign Tanev

7) LTIR Ferland

I think doing all of the above would make us cap compliant for next season while still allowing us to be competitive.

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Motte-Gaudette-Virtanen

Roussel-Beagle-MacEwen

Sutter

Edler-Myers

Hughes-Tanev

Juolevi-Benn

Rafferty

Demko 

Greiss

1) Tryamkin replaces Edler (if not Tryamkin, some other all situations left D via UFA).

3) Let Sutter walk.

4) Eriksson moved with a very small sweetener to a cap floor team (1 year left + only 2 million in real dollars left).  If no one bites of Eriksson, pay him 2 million under the table to retire.  
5) Let Jordie Benn walk

Demko will be an RFA next season.  IF the Canucks commit to Demko and let Markstrom walk this year, it means that we will have to re-up Demko at the same time that we have to re-up both Hughes and Pettersson. .    

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Motte-Gaudette-Virtanen

Roussel-Beagle-MacEwen

Lind

Hughes-Myers

Juolevi-Tanev

Tryamkin-Rafferty

Rathbone

Demko

[Greiss or Dipietro]

One minor change to my above suggestion:  Keep Toffoli and move Boeser for a 2020 1st + good prospect.   Once you have done this, then move Eriksson right away via the “Marleau to Carolina deal” (Eriksson + 7th rounder + conditional 2021 1st for a 6th rounder).    

Next Season: (October until April)

Miller-Pettersson-Toffoli 

Pearson-Horvat-Virtanen

Motte-Gaudette-MacEwen

Roussel-Beagle-Sutter

Lind

Edler-Myers

Hughes-Tanev

Juolevi-Benn

Rafferty

Demko

VetBackUp

April 2021 - Podkolzin joins Canucks

Pearson-Horvat-Podkolzin

Motte-Gaudette-Virtanen

Roussel-Beagle-MacEwen

Sutter

Edler-Myers

Hughes-Tanev

Juolevi-Benn

Rafferty

Demko

VetBackUp

2021-2022:  

Motte-Gaudette-Virtanen

Roussel-Beagle-MacEwen

Lind

Hughes-Myers

Juolevi-Tanev

Tryamkin-Rafferty

Rathbone

Demko

[VetBackUp or Dipietro]

More importantly however, the assets from a potential Boeser deal (2020 1st and/or the good prospect from the Boeser deal) could possibly factor in somehow to the above line-up.

Alternatively, cap space permitting, you could elect to keep Pearson and move both Roussel and Beagle (50% retention each) if Hoglander wasn’t developed.

Pearson-Horvat-Podkolzin

Motte-MacEwen-Virtanen

Hoglander-Gaudette-Lind

Edited by DarkIndianRises

13 hours ago, DarkIndianRises said:

2) Unqualify Stecher

4) Re-Sign Tanev

7) LTIR Ferland

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Motte-Gaudette-Virtanen

Roussel-Beagle-MacEwen

Sutter

Edler-Myers

Hughes-Tanev

Juolevi-Benn

Rafferty

Demko 

Greiss

3) Let Sutter walk.

5) Let Jordie Benn walk

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Motte-Gaudette-Virtanen

Roussel-Beagle-MacEwen

Lind

Hughes-Myers

Juolevi-Tanev

Tryamkin-Rafferty

Rathbone

Demko

[Greiss or Dipietro]

You realize by making the moves you mentioned creates around 26 million right? The players you signed adds up to 12 million at most. 

3 minutes ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

You realize by making the moves you mentioned creates around 26 million right? The players you signed adds up to 12 million at most. 

I’m taking into account the season after next as well where we would have to re-up Pettersson, Hughes, and Demko.   Perhaps I’m missing something?  I’d be interested in seeing your math if possible.   

Edited by DarkIndianRises

Just now, DarkIndianRises said:

I’m taking into account the season after next as well where we would have to re-up Pettersson, Hughes, and Demko.   Perhaps I’m missing something?  I’d be interested in seeing your math if possible.

If we LTIR ferland and pay half of Baers contract plus Stech off the books and the other moves adds to about 26 million

After next season Sutter, Pearson, Edler, Benn for around 17 million. So even if we use the entire 26 million this season, next season those 4 contracts should be filled internally with Podz, Hogs, Rathbone and Joulevi and Woo hopefully.  So that leaves around 14 million for Hughes and Petey, I think Benning locks them both up long-term so he's going to need -2-3   million extra maybe? Either way with so many scenarios, it's gonna be interesting. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

If we LTIR ferland and pay half of Baers contract plus Stech off the books and the other moves adds to about 26 million

After next season Sutter, Pearson, Edler, Benn for around 17 million. So even if we use the entire 26 million this season, next season those 4 contracts should be filled internally with Podz, Hogs, Rathbone and Joulevi and Woo hopefully.  So that leaves around 14 million for Hughes and Petey, I think Benning locks them both up long-term so he's going to need -2-3   million extra maybe? Either way with so many scenarios, it's gonna be interesting. 

LTIR does not just come off the books.  The team might not want to use the full 3.5M of Ferland or they wouldn't be able to recall players or add anyone mid-season (eg Podkolzin).  Cap space is accounted for differently under LTIR and actually limits a team's flexibility and makes it more challenging to build an active roster up to the salary cap.  It creates recall issues in particular for ELC players with performance bonuses.  

Benning might try and move his contract if he really can't play anymore.  There might not be any takers as it's difficult to work around LTIR and he has 3 more years.  It's also unclear if his contract is insured.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, mll said:

LTIR does not just come off the books.  The team might not want to use the full 3.5M of Ferland or they wouldn't be able to recall players or add anyone mid-season (eg Podkolzin).  Cap space is accounted for differently under LTIR and actually limits a team's flexibility and makes it more challenging to build an active roster up to the salary cap.  It creates recall issues in particular for ELC players with performance bonuses.  

Benning might try and move his contract if he really can't play anymore.  There might not be any takers as it's difficult to work around LTIR and he has 3 more years.  It's also unclear if his contract is insured.

Ottawa won't have trouble reaching the floor. It doesn't mean they won't try to engineer them be a floor team this year. I realize its a long shot but they could do it such that Loui is their last 6 mil or so to reach the floor, saving Melnyk a lot of dough. 

5 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

Ottawa won't have trouble reaching the floor. It doesn't mean they won't try to engineer them be a floor team this year. I realize its a long shot but they could do it such that Loui is their last 6 mil or so to reach the floor, saving Melnyk a lot of dough. 

or they could just go to Arizona and take the Hossa contract.  It's only 200K in real cash and Arizona doesn't need it to reach the floor.

Eriksson costs 5M in real cash for 2 seasons.  There are simply more efficient ways to spend that money.

4 minutes ago, mll said:

or they could just go to Arizona and take the Hossa contract.  It's only 200K in real cash and Arizona doesn't need it to reach the floor.

Eriksson costs 5M in real cash for 2 seasons.  There are simply more efficient ways to spend that money.

but as you point out, LTIR limits other options, and they likey don't get a prospect or a pick of good quality either. 

1 hour ago, Robert Long said:

but as you point out, LTIR limits other options, and they likey don't get a prospect or a pick of good quality either. 

Ottawa will be above the floor but below the cap.  LTIR wouldn't impact them unless they get close to the ceiling. As long as they don't need the relief they can just keep the player on IR and function like any other team.  LTIR is problematic when teams are at the cap and need the relief.  

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, mll said:

In light of Demko’s recent performance, I’m wondering if Demko as a sweetener would get rid of both Eriksson and Ferland in its entirety (we’d take a one year contract back so that our trading partner could accommodate both Eriksson and Ferland).   

Hopefully, Ferland just retires and the Canucks give him a front office job of some kind.

Van

Gaborik 4.75 cap hit i think

Ottawa  

Stecher 3+ million 

Eriksson 6 million

We get a lower cap hit and for only 1 year.  Ottawa gets a younger right shot dman coming into his prime who won't be too expensive. They have the space for Eriksson for the next 2 years.   He will also provide some veteran penalty killing and will have much less pressure on him.

We save between 4-5 million. Re-sign Tanev 3 years 4.5 million.   We sign Toffoli.  Rafferty, Juolevi,  Brisebois, etc.  Take stechers minutes.

33 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

Van

Gaborik 4.75 cap hit i think

Ottawa  

Stecher 3+ million 

Eriksson 6 million

We get a lower cap hit and for only 1 year.  Ottawa gets a younger right shot dman coming into his prime who won't be too expensive. They have the space for Eriksson for the next 2 years.   He will also provide some veteran penalty killing and will have much less pressure on him.

We save between 4-5 million. Re-sign Tanev 3 years 4.5 million.   We sign Toffoli.  Rafferty, Juolevi,  Brisebois, etc.  Take stechers minutes.

Gaborik's contract is insured.  He is on LTIR and helps them reach the floor.  Can't see Melnyk moving out a contract that helps him save considerable money so that he can spend more than he has to.  There's probably a more efficient way to use up 9M in cap space. 

Edited by mll