The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Jalen Chatfield

On 12/9/2020 at 2:10 PM, SergioMomesso said:

speaking of high. I just had to evict a bunch of people from my hotel that were on a 48 hour bender smoking every drug in the book. And they had the nerve to ask for the security deposit back and threatened to take me to small claims court. LOL

A 48hr bender sounds like a lot of damage. There is no way they get that money back! 

Edited by grandmaster

14 hours ago, King Heffy said:

If he can play a similar style to Tanev his size won't matter as much.

Its like some of you have chosen to forget that we just recently got rum out of the rink against Vegas.

If not for Demko putting in a Vezina/ Conn Smythe level performance that series wasn't even close.

Life got a little bit better with the return of Myers, but lets face it, it was Demko that kept us / got us back in that series.

Montreal has been a small team for the last decade, and the only time they look like they night make the playoffs is when he plays Hart level hockey.

You do recall that Tanev has battled injury his entire career.

Myers has been pretty injury free for the last 3 years, but Edler has missed an average 18 games per season the last 5 years.

When Alex Edler goes down, its going to be Tyler the Giant and the Smurfs guarding the fort

I hope you all enjoy Habs Hockey

19 minutes ago, lmm said:

Its like some of you have chosen to forget that we just recently got rum out of the rink against Vegas.

If not for Demko putting in a Vezina/ Conn Smythe level performance that series wasn't even close.

Life got a little bit better with the return of Myers, but lets face it, it was Demko that kept us / got us back in that series.

Montreal has been a small team for the last decade, and the only time they look like they night make the playoffs is when he plays Hart level hockey.

You do recall that Tanev has battled injury his entire career.

Myers has been pretty injury free for the last 3 years, but Edler has missed an average 18 games per season the last 5 years.

When Alex Edler goes down, its going to be Tyler the Giant and the Smurfs guarding the fort

I hope you all enjoy Habs Hockey

What other options do we have for a cheap guy who's responsible in our own end?  Woo needs at least a year in Utica playing big minutes.  It's likely that Chatfield is not the long-term solution, but it's in our best interest to give him a shot.

• Cheers 1

On 12/10/2020 at 4:53 PM, TNucks1 said:

i aint saying i would do that if i was him, but its unreal how far he fell off after that season with boston, its nuts. that first own goal is cursed lol.

that is what happens when the Manager does not recognize who is driving the bus and who is a passenger

2015-16 LE scored 63 points, the most he scored in the last 4 years

2015-15 Daniel Sedin scored 61 points, 4 years past his glory years

Loui was brought in to help the Sedins find their old glory on the strength of one good year in Boston over the 3 he spent there

What if rather than signing Loui the Canucks had traded Daniel to Boston for Loui?

Contracts and logicistics aside, I'd bet Daniel put up an 80 point season in Boston in 16-17.

5 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

What other options do we have for a cheap guy who's responsible in our own end?  Woo needs at least a year in Utica playing big minutes.  It's likely that Chatfield is not the long-term solution, but it's in our best interest to give him a shot.

To be honest, I do not  know

i do not watch Utica/ Junior /Euro games, so all the prospects are just names and stats to me.

I see Rafferty got more points and Chatfield got less and the rest of Utica d fell in the middle

And that Rafferty played 57/61 games and Chatter played 45/61

I am not convinced any of those players are NHL ready

The stat that jumps out at me is weight

If Edler and Myers go down for any reason this team has no size anywhere but an unsigned disodent playing in the K.

If Chatfield or any other prospect flourish in the NHL I think that will be great.

I will back any player wearing a Canuck Uniform, unless I really don't like them (couch Matt Cooke)

But this is a management problem and it is not my job to pretend we are set with a hand full of aces when our back end looks like it may well challenge the forward group of Virtanen/McCann/Megna/Chauputy/Vey/Etem/Granlund/Gaunce. Remember the battle cry of 2015-16-17, "we need to play our youth"

Everything that is old, is new again...on D

• Wat 1

1 hour ago, lmm said:

To be honest, I do not  know

i do not watch Utica/ Junior /Euro games, so all the prospects are just names and stats to me.

I see Rafferty got more points and Chatfield got less and the rest of Utica d fell in the middle

How do you expect to measure someone's competence in their own end with an offensive stat?

• Cheers 2

7 hours ago, lmm said:

see that list of forwards above?

I didn't watch their games either

So basically you have an opinion, but you don't have any facts to back it up, aside from stats. So that means if the Canucks have aces up their sleeves or not, you can't really know since you can't assess them for certain. So in other words, that long post you made can be disregarded...

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Dazzle said:

So basically you have an opinion, but you don't have any facts to back it up, aside from stats. So that means if the Canucks have aces up their sleeves or not, you can't really know since you can't assess them for certain. So in other words, that long post you made can be disregarded...

that is correct

I really won't be offended if you stop reading my posts

• Cheers 1

On 12/12/2020 at 11:38 AM, lmm said:

Do you mean he will have no choice like last year when Oscar Fantemburg could not crack the line up until Dec 1, as the 7th defenseman?

or do you mean like in the Vegas series  when he made 2 changes to his roster, Demko in for an injured Markstrom and Myers back from injury for Benn, in a compressed 5 games in 7 days?

I think history shows that Green will remove some one from the line up if they poop the sheets for an extended period, or any time if your name is Jake, but other wise he is pretty set in his top 6 and 12.

I think Green was out coached in the Vegas sreies facing an experienced NHL coach, but that he also out coached Evason and Berube in the first 2 series.

I hope he learned as much as his players with that playoff run.

I think Green did some good things during the playoffs, but I also think he "hit the wall" and  ran out of ideas against DeBoer and Vegas.

The only changes I remember from 2020 playoff not caused by injury or injury return was Sutter for Gaudette with Jake (or was it MacEwen?)  drawing in as Sutter's replacement on the wing and then Gaudette in for MacEwen (youth for youth) in Aug 19 against StL. I did say Green out coached Berube.

That was 2 changes that had positive effects on 2 sreies that the Canucks won , but he ran out of magic against Vegas

Over all I would not say Green has a history of playing youth over vets.

I literally said he will have to make changes because of the compressed schedule and injuries.  Last season was a massive outlier in terms of D health where we only used 8 guys with the truncated regular season.

The season before we used 14, the year before that 10 D, the year before that 10.  Before that it was 10-13 on average.  Those are years with a less compressed schedule where guys could rest more and be less subject to injury.

Count down our D depth to 10-12?  

Hughes-Myers
Edler-Schmidt
Juolevi-Benn
Rathbone-Rafferty
Brisebois-Chatfield
Sautner-Teves

Assuming at least 1-2 of those guys is going to be in Utica for development purposes (to get big minutes rather than sitting in the press box) and we won't have an unlimited taxi squad size ... we can expect most or all of our taxi squad to get playing time this season based even on historical injury rates.

• Cheers 2

On 12/9/2020 at 9:12 PM, Provost said:

With an (assumed) expanded taxi squad, we have to figure these slightly older guys are going to be the ones that stick with the club.  Some of the younger kids just badly need to play more for development and will get sent down even if they are likely better.  They can't spend a season not getting minutes.

I wouldn't be surprised if our team was carrying Sautner, Chatfield, Juolevi, Rafferty and maybe even Teves up here practicing and being rotated into the lineup while Rathbone and Woo play big minutes down in Utica (if there ends being a Utica).

3 hours ago, Provost said:

I literally said he will have to make changes because of the compressed schedule and injuries.  Last season was a massive outlier in terms of D health where we only used 8 guys with the truncated regular season.

The season before we used 14, the year before that 10 D, the year before that 10.  Before that it was 10-13 on average.  Those are years with a less compressed schedule where guys could rest more and be less subject to injury.

Count down our D depth to 10-12?  

Hughes-Myers
Edler-Schmidt
Juolevi-Benn
Rathbone-Rafferty
Brisebois-Chatfield
Sautner-Teves

Assuming at least 1-2 of those guys is going to be in Utica for development purposes (to get big minutes rather than sitting in the press box) and we won't have an unlimited taxi squad size ... we can expect most or all of our taxi squad to get playing time this season based even on historical injury rates.

And I literally said "But Green is not a "Rotate in and out kind of coach"

and I backed that with the Fantantberg  example and the 'compressed schedule' Vegas series example of times when Green did not "Rotate" players in and out.

I will add to those examples Tyler Graovac who dressed for 8 games, 7 full games as he was injured in game 8, so lets skip that one.

lets also skip the seconds played

5 full minutes played

Not eaxtly "show me what you got kid" minutes

There was also the Utica D that came up and warmed the press box, except for Sautner who played  2:49 in his one game

But I do agree with you, injuries will create a situation where Green is forced to play youth on D

but unless the roster changes between now and puck drop, either Green learns from the Vegas series and changes his ways or Joulevi plays 2:49 until the first injury and then (maybe) Chatfield comes in and plays 2:49 while Oly plays 10 mins.

2 injuries and a penalty will make for a very interesting kill.