The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Jalen Chatfield

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Have we heard anything on 'taxi squad' rules yet?

I'm thinking we might go with a 20'ish man roster + taxi squad and he could easily be in there.

saw on the tweety that its looking like 26 man roster + 4 additional taxi guys. So Loui + 3. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

saw on the tweety that its looking like 26 man roster + 4 additional taxi guys. So Loui + 3. 

How will that work with salary cap?

Only 23 of the 26 need to fit under salary cap?

Let's say the Canucks can only have a 21 person roster for cap reasons. Do we still get 5 other guys and the 4 person taxi squad? Or teams that have the cap space can fit 26 guys?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

How will that work with salary cap?

Only 23 of the 26 need to fit under salary cap?

Let's say the Canucks can only have a 21 person roster for cap reasons. Do we still get 5 other guys and the 4 person taxi squad? Or teams that have the cap space can fit 26 guys?

not sure, I'll see if I can find the tweet and edit if I find it. 

here it is:

Edited by Jimmy McGill

14 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Have we heard anything on 'taxi squad' rules yet?

I'm thinking we might go with a 20'ish man roster + taxi squad and he could easily be in there.

We keep 23 normally and have the dress 20(18 skaters and 2 goalies). If the NHL allowed 3 more players to be on the roster then that might just suffice. Teams could have 5 extra skaters(example 3 forwards and 2 D) and an extra goalie on top of the 20 they play.

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

not sure, I'll see if I can find the tweet and edit if I find it. 

here it is:

1 hour ago, Where's Wellwood said:

Well, since 23 was the max under the cap, and it's just the max increasing, seems like all of those 26 would have to fit under the cap

1 hour ago, Junkyard Dog said:

We keep 23 normally and have the dress 20(18 skaters and 2 goalies). If the NHL allowed 3 more players to be on the roster then that might just suffice. Teams could have 5 extra skaters(example 3 forwards and 2 D) and an extra goalie on top of the 20 they play.

Yeah I'm still unclear how this all works with cap/taxi squad/expanded rosters. Very few teams will be able to fit 26 guys under the same cap as 23.

I was already thinking we might carry between 20 and 22 players due to cap reasons and then role with the taxi squad to cover injuries. And I'm sure we wouldn't be alone in that scenario.

There's got to be some sort of mechanism to fit those extra the guys in. Is it that those three extra guys won't count against cap but they're not just subject to waivers (where as taxi guys would presumably need waivers/contract not require waivers).

We may need @mll to explain it to us idiots :lol:

Edited by aGENT

7 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Kid's got rock star hair..gotta be a high ceiling! :^)

(loading up with righty's is good too)

LOL, How is this for matching rock star appeal? Oh Jalen! :wub:  

You're some kinda wonderful...

Edited by Canuck Surfer
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Phil_314 said:

If he does do well, hope he doesn't get the pro-rated (or actual) 40 games needed to protect him, esp. if Juolevi and Rafferty also do well.

Best case would be Olli pans and breaks out, Rafferty breaks out, reach agreement to sign Edler in off-season (IF Rathbone isn't ready), play Chatfield 39 games and he proves himself, then let Benn walk as UFA and still have Jalen be exempt.  Then next season

Quinn - Myers
Juolevi - Schmidt
Edler* - rookie**
**one of Rathbone, Chatfield, Rafferty earns a bottom pair spot

That will be nice if she works out like that. Letting Tanev and Stecher go was a blessing in disguise. Love those guy and will follow their careers BUT we needed change on the back end and it starts with youth. If that works out accordingly we can avoid the Benn type signings or the somewhat desperate trades to fix the defence. They kind of stuff we’ve had to do that last 5 years or so cause we had an empty pipeline 

3 hours ago, Virtanen#18 said:

He's always high on things..... which explains the very few activities this offseason!

I think Benning did fine? Nate Schmidt is a fantastic signing, Holtby, Hawryluk..

Schmidt Top D man plays, PP, KP and regular shift playing up to 23 - 25 minutes..Schmidt played most minutes for Vegas in this years playoffs

Schmidt will make give Vancouver another offensive weapon on defence to go along with Hughes..So lucky to have Schmidt and Hughes  on this teams defence 2 top offensive D men..

Holtby working with Canucks goalie coach Ian Clark, will get his game back to being a top 15 goalie again...Look what Clark did for Markstrom...

Hawryluk very aggressive player much like Motte another great pickup...

Ferland will be on injury reserve so 3.5 million...More good things will happen....

You have to understand its civid time owners have to use caution signing player with so much uncertainty..

Benning Has team in the right direction but we will always have negative sarcastic fans...

Would be strange not to have 15% - 20% negative sarcastic post..

Least the important people don't pay attention to these posts....

Benning report card "B" 

2 hours ago, Where's Wellwood said:

Well, since 23 was the max under the cap, and it's just the max increasing, seems like all of those 26 would have to fit under the cap

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Yeah I'm still unclear how this all works with cap/taxi squad/expanded rosters. Very few teams will be able to fit 26 guys under the same cap as 23.

I was already thinking we might carry between 20 and 22 players due to cap reasons and then role with the taxi squad to cover injuries. And I'm sure we wouldn't be alone in that scenario.

There's got to be some sort of mechanism to fit those extra the guys in. Is it that those three extra guys won't count against cap but they're not just subject to waivers (where as taxi guys would presumably need waivers/contract not require waivers).

We may need @mll to explain it to us idiots :lol:

well, you have to figure since only about 5 or 6 teams could afford 3 more guys there must be some kind of cap overage situation being cooked up. 

It'll be unfair to some team one way or another no matter what, but given the inevitable covid outbreaks that will occur they need to do something to have a season. 

2 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

wish we signed dominque now, so dipietro can get games when the AHL starts, wonder if we bring him up just incase.

4 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Its not about the points, its about playing consistently and being dependable.  

Jalen will be given a chance to show his stuff, pretty sure Green is more concerned about Chatfield's defensive details, consistent work ethic, and willingness to pay attention to the key details of the game to help his team. Points will never be the bread and butter of Chatfield's game, he will always be a puck moving stay and home dman, By that standard, evaluating him based on points sort of misses the context and overall picture of the player.

Management has consistently brought his name up as someone who seems to be ready to try it in the NHL, I think they are full aware he isn't coming in to bring offense or point production.

4 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Benning seems to be this guy's biggest fan. I'm not as high on him, but I do hope he can become an NHL  player someday. 

I agree with AJ on this one.

But yes, I hear Jim saying nice things about Chatfield, I just don't hear it from Green.

He came up for a while last  year but couldn't get a sniff.

I could see him as the # 7 or 8 and not see him play

or maybe he plays on the wing like Biega and Pedan

I don't believe everything Jim says

I'll go out on a limb here and say it will take 3-4 injuries before Chatfield plays a minute.

1 minute ago, lmm said:

I agree with AJ on this one.

But yes, I hear Jim saying nice things about Chatfield, I just don't hear it from Green.

He came up for a while last  year but couldn't get a sniff.

I could see him as the # 7 or 8 and not see him play

or maybe he plays on the wing like Biega and Pedan

I don't believe everything Jim says

I'll go out on a limb here and say it will take 3-4 injuries before Chatfield plays a minute.

I'd say Chatfield is probably our #8 guy, behind Rafferty as the #7. Sautner might challenge Chatfield for #8, but he's two years older, so his ceiling is likely already reached.

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I'd say Chatfield is probably our #8 guy, behind Rafferty as the #7. Sautner might challenge Chatfield for #8, but he's two years older, so his ceiling is likely already reached.

I would say you are correct

he may also be passed my Tryamkin at some point.

I thought I heard a rumor that the Canucks wanted to get bigger on the back end, or did I just make that up?

if you average Tanev, Stech and The Fantom you get 6'196.3#

if you average Schmidt,Juolevi.Raff and Chatfield, you get 6'.3/4" and 189#

Chatfield is taller but only 2#s heavier than Stecher.

looks like we will be relying heavily ( pun intended) on Benn, Myers and Edler to clear the front of the net

2 minutes ago, lmm said:

I would say you are correct

he may also be passed my Tryamkin at some point.

I thought I heard a rumor that the Canucks wanted to get bigger on the back end, or did I just make that up?

if you average Tanev, Stech and The Fantom you get 6'196.3#

if you average Schmidt,Juolevi.Raff and Chatfield, you get 6'.3/4" and 189#

Chatfield is taller but only 2#s heavier than Stecher.

looks like we will be relying heavily ( pun intended) on Benn, Myers and Edler to clear the front of the net

Yeah, if Tryamkin comes back, I think he'll be fighting for that #6 spot with Juolevi, but we'll see how he is and how willing he even is to be a #7 or #8. That would of course bump Chatfield down to fighting for #9 with Sautner.

• Huggy Bear 1