The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Where did the enthusiasm go ?

Rate this topic

snucks

23 hours ago, iinatcc said:

Reminds me of that season after the Oilers made it to the 2nd round.

Exploded out of the gate in the 1st regular season game and just fell apart. 

Sure it's early but I wouldn't be surprised if the team ended up like Oilers in their 2017 - 2018 season 

And the Avs had their first run with Roy, and stunk for a bit and is now a powerhouse. Things don't happen over night. I have a feeling that had it not been for covid we probably wouldn't have made the playoffs as we were in a tailspin in February /March. I think doing well last year in the playoffs gave us such high expectations for the team we forget that we were bubble at best. We may have won a couple rounds but there was no way we were hoisting lord Stanley's cup. 

2 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

On the bright side #1: this is only 4 games, and some teams are going to come together and start faster than others. Its going to be a crazy 4 month sprint.

On the bright side #2: If this continues, we will get a good shot at (Insert name of shiny new prospect here) in the draft this summer.

Good points.

For me, the bright side is that Gaudette looks much better this season while Hoglander looks like a legit prospect.   Virtanen also looks like a decent bottom 6 player even if it doesn’t look like he’ll live up to expectations.   

People will disagree with me for saying this, but Eriksson should be in our line-up.  Reunite Horvat, Pearson, and Eriksson and get them to take on our toughest match ups.   

Keep Hamonic away from Hughes and Edler and use him in lesser roles.  Let him get reacclimated to the NHL.   Consider putting Hughes and Schmidt together as a way of jump starting the Pettersson line from the back end.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

Was hoping this would be a rah rah thread to boost the CDC’s morale.. 4 games in and the sky is almost falling (or, for some, fell before the season has started which gives them a perfect time to vent and show how right they were lol)

Personally feel this is a win win year, if we make the playoffs, great - if we don’t then hopefully the hockey gods are good to us finally draft wise.   Although aside from OJ - who still has potential, they have been already.    It’s undeniable that we need another top six star performer, and one more all around stud D.  Both of those things will happen once the cap sheds if management plays its cards right - and for sure would be a little easier missing the playoffs.    Remember when Luongo came ... this team feels a lot like that - we knew something special was coming - he didn’t disappoint, and gave us arguably the best goalie showdown in Canucks history the first round ... next year did not qualify ... after that a run of first overall banners. 

2 hours ago, DarkIndianRises said:

Good points.

For me, the bright side is that Gaudette looks much better this season while Hoglander looks like a legit prospect.   Virtanen also looks like a decent bottom 6 player even if it doesn’t look like he’ll live up to expectations.   

People will disagree with me for saying this, but Eriksson should be in our line-up.  Reunite Horvat, Pearson, and Eriksson and get them to take on our toughest match ups.   

Keep Hamonic away from Hughes and Edler and use him in lesser roles.  Let him get reacclimated to the NHL.   Consider putting Hughes and Schmidt together as a way of jump starting the Pettersson line from the back end.

Your not the only one who sees this as an opportunity.   For whatever reason LE on the second line works...now with Hoglander and AG looking ready to burst (he’s had as many or more opportunities then most our forwards in a limited role) - bet with JV on that line we’d give other teams a very difficult time with match ups and one of the better third lines in the league...

On 1/19/2021 at 9:51 AM, snucks said:

After watching 4 games only the first one seemed to have effort and enthusiasm . It is a far cry from the teams play last year. Last year the even the coach got my approval. I don't see this team doing well. There seems to be no chemistry. When that goes away it makes every one look bad. OK there is time to recover, a get back some respect but I don't see it. Perhaps too much was dealt away but we still have Edler wounded leg and all.

I just got here late to the thread, but I would like to champion a really good club we have this year and suggest that in the great north, we have a lot of hosers playing hockey eh bud. I would think that almost every club 'could' make the playoffs with the one off divisions that see all the Canadian teams play each other. 

Take aways I like:

9 goals in three games, but blanked in one. 

It is literally just one week, the opening week of the season. We usually would give them 10, 15 or 20 games before analyzing the set of games. Covid shortened season ratios say we should then give them 7, 10 or 14 games to make the same analysis. 1w 3l with a minimum three games to go before I will even start to worry. 

The club is one of the best built versions of our team since I became an ensconced and alert fan around 1979/80..I like the Naslund Era a little better thus far, but I think this club is deeper than we ever were back then. I like 22 players, just counted from teh roster page on CDC, out of the 27 players listed there, includes taxi squad i guess. 

I think at the 14 or 15 game mark we will be having a much different conversation, however, note that Pod is coming in April and IF we don't get into the post season, there will be a high draft pick coming in the offseason. I am not worried. Even if we miss the playoffs during covid season, we will be that much better next year for the experience and the reinforcements. WOuld be nice to draft Atu Raty, right, and come back next year with 24 players that are really worth getting to like and know, at that point we will be a contender, even I take off my rose coloured glasses! 

Cheers guys, I hope to be much more active in Canucks Talk this year, its been a long while that I have been sidelined over in Fantasy Hockey, out of choice, but with 2011 so far back in the rearview now, it is time to get back to basics and be Primaly Optimistic about this club! lol

2 hours ago, DarkIndianRises said:

Good points.

Yeah - I do disagree with you.  Particularly after Miller's return.

The team doesn't need to be spending Horvat's line in matchup - or subbing in Eriksson to make that more viable.

The idea may have made more sense when EP was forced to center a line....but two things make your idea - thankfully - more and more an expiring shelf life.

A healthy Miller means that the top line less and less needs tilted ice to be successful.   And an improving Gaudette means that his line is going to get wrecked with less frequency - so the LE to the 'rescue' thing - imo - isn't as convincing.

The other aspect of this is that he has to actually earn a spot on the roster - that being another 'bottom line' - which he arguably did not, on performance.

I think there's yet another argument against it - that being that the team is at such a critical mass of youth - that people should probably temper their short term expectations.  Personally I'd look at this as (another) 'development' year for this team.   I'm not going to assume they are incapable of repeating last year's achievements - but I sure as hell don't 'expect' it.   Stanley Cup teams - tend to be composed of cores that are in the 25+ range....this core - is still pretty green.  I think Green has already been 'sacrificing' results to some extent in recent years - ie playing Gaudette at center (prematurely) to move his development along (when they were a stronger team with Sutter and Beagle centering the bottom 6 lines).    Is it possible that they'd be slightly 'better' with LE in the lineup as opposed to Hoglander?  I'm not so sure (Hoglander has fared decently and not just from an upside perspective - good enough 'underlying' numbers - and 2nd among forwards (behind Motte) in blocked shots thus far.

Anyhow - I personally would prioritize preparing players like him and Juolevi for NHL careers - and to take it a step further, I might even get another veteran or two out of the mix (ie Roussel and Benn) in order to bank the bonus cap and clear more cap deck for ensuing seasons....  I understand why they might not take that route (I'm not ownership and my imperatives are probably slightly different than theirs).