The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Canucks- Senators

Canucks trade:

Virtanen 2.55m- has the skills just never put them together and seems to be in coach Green's doghouse from his Utica days, time to move on he has been passed by others

Roussel 3m- Veteran who can help the younger Senators maybe?

for

Pacquette 1.65m or Nick Paul 1.35m- serviceable bottom 9 F with a much lower cap hit to Roussel's

Watson 1.5m- Agitating winger who will hit and drop the gloves. Good to have for future playoff games I believe anyway...

2022 3rd round pick or 2021 TBL 2nd maybe?

Canucks gain some cap space, get a veteran C/LW with lots of playoff experience in Pacquette or Paul who is a cheaper contract coming back. Physical player in Austin Watson and a future draft pick. Senators get a player with a chance for him to succeed in a role with their young up and coming roster. Fresh start should do Jake well, I would think/hope for his hockey career.

Canucks shed so salary with the ability to fit Podz and Tryamkin later this season, so called free TDL additions. The draft pick is a nice future asset. The return on Jake for some might not look so great but we are moving out just over 5.5m while only taking back 3m or so...gives up some cap flexibility to bring over the 2 Russians when their season ends.

• Haha 1

I'm curious about the reasoning for Ottawa to make this trade, let alone adding a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

In our cap world, and one where Jake has been a healthy scratch in recent games, is his inclusion supposed to be a sweetener for the Sens to take on Roussel's contract?  Even on paper he's hardly a young gun anymore, and Watson alone has put up as many points as both the guys going back and as you mentioned both are cheaper too.  If Jake hasn't shown consistency but plays a similar game as the two players they're trading, I wonder why Ottawa does it?  I don't see Jake beating out any of Brady/ Connor Brown (he hustles)/ Nick Paul (0.5 p.pg.)/ Dadonov/ Stutzle/ Batherson (he's pretty skilled) for a top-9 winger spot, and then there's finding a fit for Roussel in the bottom-6 with his inflated salary.   

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

I'm curious about the reasoning for Ottawa to make this trade, let alone adding a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

In our cap world, and one where Jake has been a healthy scratch in recent games, is his inclusion supposed to be a sweetener for the Sens to take on Roussel's contract?  Even on paper he's hardly a young gun anymore, and Watson alone has put up as many points as both the guys going back and as you mentioned both are cheaper too.  If Jake hasn't shown consistency but plays a similar game as the two players they're trading, I wonder why Ottawa does it?  I don't see Jake beating out any of Brady/ Connor Brown (he hustles)/ Nick Paul (0.5 p.pg.)/ Dadonov/ Stutzle/ Batherson (he's pretty skilled) for a top-9 winger spot, and then there's finding a fit for Roussel in the bottom-6 with his inflated salary.   

Change of scenery...and just cause we have seen Jake and have our opinions doesn't mean another team like Ottawa not seeing his speed and shot and thinking they could take a risk on the player. We  need grit in the bottom 6, Jake doesn't provide it enough or consistantly. Watson would bring that element to us but lacks the speed and "potential" skill to that of Jake.

Feel free to make your own proposal if you feel like you have a better way to try and shed some salary, move on from a bust of a draft pick and bring in some elements to our team that we lack. Just tried a different proposal vs the Jake for Bennett ideas that will be spewed all over...

• Vintage 1

24 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

Me too.

11 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

seeing his speed and shot and thinking they could take a risk on the player.

O.K so maybe they like Jake's speed and shot.

12 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

a better way to try and shed some salary, move on from a bust of a draft pick

Oops, why would Ottawa want a "bust" of a draft pick again?

And why do people keep talking about Jake being a "bust"?

Last season he scored at a 20 goal  pace, plays low 3rd line minutes and costs a bit over $2.5 mill.

News flash for CDC posters:

Jake is not:

Cam Neely

Todd Bertuzzi

Rick Nash

nor does he get paid like them. Why expect that from him?

"But he was a 5th pick over all" 

Gretzky had no draft position at all, thus every other player in the league at that time should have been better than him.- So much for the draft position argument

• Vintage 1

20 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Change of scenery...and just cause we have seen Jake and have our opinions doesn't mean another team like Ottawa not seeing his speed and shot and thinking they could take a risk on the player. We  need grit in the bottom 6, Jake doesn't provide it enough or consistantly. Watson would bring that element to us but lacks the speed and "potential" skill to that of Jake.

Feel free to make your own proposal if you feel like you have a better way to try and shed some salary, move on from a bust of a draft pick and bring in some elements to our team that we lack. Just tried a different proposal vs the Jake for Bennett ideas that will be spewed all over...

Fair enough, and kudos to you for keeping things fresh with different ideas.  

For the cap hits leaving, I think the inclusion of Roussel would be a non-starter.  If management can overlook the domestic violence charge that Watson had as an indictment of his character then I can see him as an attractive asset as he goes hard to the net and has similar strength as MacEwen.  Then again that's a big if.

My proposal would be Jake with salary retention to Buffalo for Sheahan and a 4th.  Sheahan's a similar versatile big body but with less aggression than Watson, but he's played with guys like Crosby on a pinch and has done pretty well, so he could be another injury depth fill-in (he has 3 seasons of scoring above 30 points).  The reason I'm retaining is because Buffalo has $1.1 million in space and Sheahan makes $700k, so we'd probably have to keep a bit of it to make it work in the books.  They only have Hall, Olofsson and Reinhart carrying the scoring load among wingers, and with Cozens (unproven)/ Skinner (underperforming)/ Rieder (probably best suited in a PK role)/ Lazar/ Thompson/ Mittlestadt all not really earning a 2nd line role so far, Jake could have a chance beside Eric Staal if he proves up to it, and with retention Buffalo could jump on it (won't pretend to be an expert on our expansion cousins but based on stats that's what I'd think).

53 minutes ago, gurn said:

Me too.

Last season he scored at a 20 goal  pace, plays low 3rd line minutes and costs a bit over $2.5 mill.

Jake is not:

Cam Neely

Todd Bertuzzi

Rick Nash

Gretzky had no draft position at all, thus every other player in the league at that time should have been better than him.- So much for the draft position argument

neely nash and bertuzzi never won a cup just saying  lol  theres hope that jake gets one to prove the haters wrong 

4 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

Canucks trade:

Virtanen 2.55m- has the skills just never put them together and seems to be in coach Green's doghouse from his Utica days, time to move on he has been passed by others

Roussel 3m- Veteran who can help the younger Senators maybe?

for

Pacquette 1.65m or Nick Paul 1.35m- serviceable bottom 9 F with a much lower cap hit to Roussel's

Watson 1.5m- Agitating winger who will hit and drop the gloves. Good to have for future playoff games I believe anyway...

2022 3rd round pick or 2021 TBL 2nd maybe?

Canucks gain some cap space, get a veteran C/LW with lots of playoff experience in Pacquette or Paul who is a cheaper contract coming back. Physical player in Austin Watson and a future draft pick. Senators get a player with a chance for him to succeed in a role with their young up and coming roster. Fresh start should do Jake well, I would think/hope for his hockey career.

Canucks shed so salary with the ability to fit Podz and Tryamkin later this season, so called free TDL additions. The draft pick is a nice future asset. The return on Jake for some might not look so great but we are moving out just over 5.5m while only taking back 3m or so...gives up some cap flexibility to bring over the 2 Russians when their season ends.

Nick Paul and Paquette are not interchangeable imo - Paul has considerably more trade value - is a good under-the-radar-as-yet target with solid indicators to uptick.

But I agree with you on the gist of the framework of your proposal.  Make it Paul and Paquette - and probably don't expect as high a pick.

18 hours ago, gurn said:

Me too.

Jake is not:

Cam Neely

Todd Bertuzzi

Rick Nash

Ahem - like everything you said . BUT JV was a 6th overall and there is a distinct drop off from 5-6 ha ha ha.   I thought this might be fun like the grammar/speeillling police.   I was wrong.   I liked what you said but next time - if your going to use hyperbole - can we say JV was a first overall because i'd just like to use a Canuck draft pick and first overall once in the same sentence. 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Wouldn't touch Watson given his history of domestic violence.  Benning wants character guys and a scumbag like that would not mesh well with our group.

Can we go after Hoffman instead?   I'm sure a lot of us have towed the line with a crazy ex .. it's not his fault!   Too late guilty until proven innocent.   

Maybe JB will pick up De-not so Angelo today on waivers.