The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Military takes control of Myanmar

King Heffy

4 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

Really ?

You don't think that guys like Putin,Ping and military leaders see the leader of the most powerful and supposed democratic nation in the world acting despotically ,then they think they can ignore democratic norms.

Seems like basic human nature 101 to me.

The US is (arguably) not the most powerful nation anymore nor is it the most democratic. The last half of the 20th century, possibly might have, but it's falling by the wayside fast.

4 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

In hindsight she didn't deserve winning the Nobel Peace prize because of she didn't take any action to stop that inhuman treatment of the Rohingyas.

Nearly everyone is wise in hindsight.

The committee that hand out the award are often trying to empower the recipient.

2 hours ago, The Lock said:

I don't know if the actions in the US really change what's going on in other countries that much. We've seen a lot of countries have coups for decades and I don't know how many countries are really looking to the US in terms of what they should be doing.

They are still the largest economy and have by far the most powerful military.

Sure there have been coups,the US has sponsored or opposed many of them when it has suited their purposes.

16 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

Really ?

You don't think that guys like Putin,Ping and military leaders see the leader of the most powerful and supposed democratic nation in the world acting despotically ,then they think they can ignore democratic norms.

Seems like basic human nature 101 to me.

Putin was doing his thing long before Dumbpf showed up. Same with Jinping. 

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

They are still the largest economy and have by far the most powerful military.

Sure there have been coups,the US has sponsored or opposed many of them when it has suited their purposes.

Military sure, but I think we're going a different direction now from military being the most powerful force. It's why China's now focused on diplomacy and giving out loans to other nations. Diplomacy's going to be king from now on, not military.

As far as economy goes, US is highest, but that's going to not be the case pretty quickly.

7 minutes ago, The Lock said:

The US is (arguably) not the most powerful nation anymore nor is it the most democratic. The last half of the 20th century, possibly might have, but it's falling by the wayside fast.

According to global firepower the US  still retains its top spot as  the undisputed military power in the world.

As for the rest you are missing my point

5 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Putin was doing his thing long before Dumbpf showed up. Same with Jinping. 

They have upped their game since trump has taken over.

China has really ramped up their threats and bullying here in the Pacific.

I suggest you do some research on relations between Aus and China in the last year or 2.

The have been using trumps weapon of choice,tariffs to bend Aus to their will.

2 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

They have upped their game since trump has taken over.

China has really ramped up their threats and bullying here in the Pacific.

I suggest you do some research on relations between Aus and China in the last year or 2.

The have been using trumps weapon of choice,tariffs to bend Aus to their will.

And? Russia invaded the Ukraine before Trump was president and China violated the agreement with Hong Kong a few years back. They’ve been the way they’ve been for some time now. If anything, they influenced his thinking. 

7 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Military sure, but I think we're going a different direction now from military being the most powerful force. It's why China's now focused on diplomacy and giving out loans to other nations. Diplomacy's going to be king from now on, not military.

As far as economy goes, US is highest, but that's going to not be the case pretty quickly.

Diplomacy ?

They have threatened us here in Aus.

As I stated in another post they have bullied us with tariffs on billions of dollars of our products,a play out of trumps playbook,which they did after trump imposed tariffs on some of their product's.

Trump has empowered despotic leaders and right wing groups around the world that is undeniable.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Ilunga said:

Diplomacy ?

They have threatened us here in Aus.

As I stated in another post they have bullied us with tariffs on billions of dollars of our products,a play out of trumps playbook,which they did after trump imposed tariffs on some of their product's.

Trump has empowered despotic leaders and right wing groups around the world that is undeniable.

I'm talking about world diplomacy. It's not all about the US in terms of that. China's given out loans now to 150 countries. Do you think they're doing it out of goodness of their own heart? No, they're gaining favour with the rest of the world.

Empowered maybe, but these groups were already right wing and doing coups. The US coup is child's play compared with a lot of these other countries where the coups are successful. It's a big deal in the US, sure, but I also think it's easy to overexaggerate/overestimate whatever country you're in since you live there. It's understandable, but then we also have to consider that it's biased too.

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

And? Russia invaded the Ukraine before Trump was president and China violated the agreement with Hong Kong a few years back. They’ve been the way they’ve been for some time now. If anything, they influenced his thinking. 

With the Hong Kong example they have ramped up their game as well since trump came to power.

Locking up more people not even pretending to look like they are going to stick to the handover agreement they made.

Sure Putin has always been Putin but when there is no POTUS pressuring him to change his ways rather one that blatantly likes him there is even less hope of change.

38 minutes ago, The Lock said:

The US definitely not the most democratic country.  The democracy index doesn't list the USA as a "full democracy".

• Cheers 1

Just now, BoKnows said:

The US definitely not the most democratic country.  The democracy index doesn't list the USA as a "full democracy".

Exactly, the US is now considered a "flawed democracy" with 24 other countries ahead of it, and flawed democracy isn't dependent on where you are compared with other nations but the actual scores your country has.

6 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Exactly, the US is now considered a "flawed democracy" with 24 other countries ahead of it, and flawed democracy isn't dependent on where you are compared with other nations but the actual scores your country has.

I'd imagine after the events that take place recently their score will drop even more.

Just now, BoKnows said:

I'd imagine after the events that take place recently their score will drop even more.

Maybe. Depends on how the next 4 years under Biden goes I would think. At least the party that turned the country into a flawed democracy is no longer in power for now.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, The Lock said:

Maybe. Depends on how the next 4 years under Biden goes I would think. At least the party that turned the country into a flawed democracy is no longer in power for now.

Hopefully they rebound and get more than 2 parties.

• Cheers 2

21 minutes ago, BoKnows said:

Hopefully they rebound and get more than 2 parties.

I think that is essentially the next logical step. The republicans are being asked to choose between real democracy and Trump and so far it’s not going well. They may well splinter into some sort of Trumpian party and a form of the old Republican Party, (hopefully pre-Tea Party.) It will divide support but it may also draw some dems like Manchin and Gabbard.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

I think that is essentially the next logical step. The republicans are being asked to choose between real democracy and Trump and so far it’s not going well. They may well splinter into some sort of Trumpian party and a form of the old Republican Party, (hopefully pre-Tea Party.) It will divide support but it may also draw some dems like Manchin and Gabbard.

Isn't Trump starting a Patriot party? America should have the Republicans, Democrats, Libertarian, Green, and Progressive party.  Five options from people to choose from with ranked voting.  The whole 2 party system where the two parties can't stand each other is getting pretty stale.

• Cheers 1