The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

7-11 in Ontario to seek on-site liquor sales

ImConfused

Booze  

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/7-11-beer-wine-in-store-1.5916069

Convenience store chain 7-Eleven Canada says it is preparing many of its Ontario shops to serve beer and wine in the store.

The company says it is planning in-store service of a small selection of Ontario-made beer and wine products.

7-Eleven says the beer and wine would be offered during limited hours in designated consumption areas of some Ontario stores.

The retailer says the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario is still reviewing its liquor sales licence applications, which were filed after the Ontario government decided to extend beer and wine retailing to convenience stores.

7-Eleven says the alcoholic drinks would complement its push into fresh and hot food, and would build on the chain's long history of controlling access to age-restricted products.

A statement from the chain says that if the licences come through, staff would take the Smart Serve training program, which is designed for workers who sell, serve, deliver or handle alcohol in Ontario.

Is it really that bad being a Leafs fan that you have to get tanked in a 7-11? I mean don't get me wrong, I love a good liquor-slurpee from time to time, but I can't even begin to think of all the potential issues with this brilliant plan?

What do you guys think?

Spoiler

Sorry about the 2nd thread of the day I promise there won't be a third lol

Yours truly,

ImConfused :emot-parrot:

• Sad 1
  • Vintage 1

I like the idea of going to a 7-11 and being able to grab some beer or wine. Cross the border and you can buy wine and beer in any gas station convenience store. Why not here? Oh right, because the Liquor Control Board of BC is an antiquated government institution. 

• Cheers 4

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

I like the idea of going to a 7-11 and being able to grab some beer or wine. Cross the border and you can buy wine and beer in any gas station convenience store. Why not here? Oh right, because the Liquor Control Board of BC is an antiquated government institution. 

They got beer in the gas stations at Quebec.  My first time buying beer legally was in a gas station in a tiny town in Quebec.

• Vintage 1

There are 5 liquor stores here within a two minute drive. The mall then took out a great clothing store and replaced it with.. more liquor. 

It would be 6 if 7-11 went this route.. and as if there aren't enough sketchy individuals and losers hanging around 7-11.

Edited by Tortorella's Rant

I mean, that's just another party trying to grab some of that billion dollar liquor industry money. No surprise. 

It'd be convenient, but do we really need more liquor stores? I'm not against it, there are plenty of European countries with better approaches to alcohol than us. Just seems excessive, or perhaps simply something I'm not used to. 

So long as they're not selling to anyone underage I don't really see an issue. 

4 minutes ago, ImConfused said:

So what do you guys think about the on-site consumption thing though? Is it really feasible to have a bunch of people on the sauce inside a convenience store? How do you keep that under control is what I'm getting at I guess?

I think just selling is fine. Not sure why 7-11 would want to serve. They would need to be designated as a club or bar at that point. I don't think a convenience store should be able to operate as such.

I'd be surprised to see 7-11 get it before that province allows LRS ( private liquor stores). They do have a few private wine shops. ( VQA only I think).

Everything is Gov ran Ont regarding Liquor. Not like BC

31 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

There are 5 liquor stores here within a two minute drive. The mall then took out a great clothing store and replaced it with.. more liquor. 

It would be 6 if 7-11 went this route.. and as if there aren't enough sketchy individuals and losers hanging around 7-11.

No new liquor stores can move within 1k of another. You shouldn't see any more around you with that kind of saturation. 

Edited by bishopshodan

You guys remember the idea we would get liquor in grocery stores etc... here in BC?

In short it was all a play brought to you by Jimmy Pattison. He met privately with Crusty Clark. She had the Yap report pushed out ( poll of 500 BC'rs). People got stoked thinking they will be able to buy booze from the corner stores like in Europe. 

They approved the concept but then for some reason had to decide what a 'grocery store' was...there answer was 'at least 10,000 sq ft'.(hmmm, who owns such big 'shop?')

So there goes any corner store booze sales.

When the new licenses were released JP bought up 95% of them.  That's why you will likely on find wine on the shelves of his mega stores. 

• Vintage 1

30 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The rip on corner/grocery stores in the states is that they become liquor stores mostly and little else.

It's one of our BC gov's reasons for making sure grocery stores are at least 10,000 sq ft and they can't allocate too much space for booze. 

18 minutes ago, ImConfused said:

So what do you guys think about the on-site consumption thing though? Is it really feasible to have a bunch of people on the sauce inside a convenience store? How do you keep that under control is what I'm getting at I guess?

Bro people gonna be putting henney in their big gulps.  Forget the club boys are turning up at 7/11

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, ImConfused said:

That’s already the situation at my 7-11 from about 6pm to 6am every day over the weekend, and most weekdays, to be honest. Just full of kids and young adults (and a few grizzled veterans) who are drunk or high or both. The staff handles it just fine and I’ve never seen them have any  problems.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

You guys remember the idea we would get liquor in grocery stores etc... here in BC?

In short it was all a play brought to you by Jimmy Pattison. He met privately with Crusty Clark. She had the Yap report pushed out ( poll of 500 BC'rs). People got stoked thinking they will be able to buy booze from the corner stores like in Europe. 

They approved the concept but then for some reason had to decide what a 'grocery store' was...there answer was 'at least 10,000 sq ft'.(hmmm, who owns such big 'shop?')

So there goes any corner store booze sales.

When the new licenses were released JP bought up 95% of them.  That's why you will likely on find wine on the shelves of his mega stores. 

Another reason that the BC LIberals should have been shipped into Mariana Trench.

• Upvote 1