The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

On a positive note: Olli Juolevi is getting better every game

Rate this topic

*Buzzsaw*

16 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Breaking out the ole vcr

There was a time that i did that for sure ... those things weren't easy to work were they as far as programming goes ... actually still have one ... thank god for HD TV and PVR.. although it did make my 1000 or so dvds practically useless.  That said have some doozies - Gretky's 50 best goals one of my faves ... Still haven't seen some of his stuff duplicated.   Imagine talking a snap shot off the face off with a few seconds left down a goal , every player blocking the net like it's soccer or something, and the puck going through all those limbs top

far corner and in - without hitting anything on the way... was the master at faking a shot then post and in ... nobody will ever score as many 5 x 5 goals as he did ever.  Ovi would have to play at the same level until he's 45. 

Edited by IBatch

5 hours ago, IBatch said:

Why can't we just keep both?  OJ Myers looks like a legit top four paring at the moment ... TG is relying on Myers and QHs the most as far as double shifting goes ... we only have three more years after this one left and at the end he will still be younger then Edler is now.

His cap hit argument doesn't hold water.   Even with covid other d's with similar stats are getting paid.   Petry is a year older, also in his prime (and having a career year to boot - something that Myers for sure could still do as well, Edler best hockey in years happened when he went to the Worlds a few years ago) 6.25 x 4 taking him until he's a couple years older then Myers will be when his deal is done.  Trouba, who was often a trade suggestion on this forum is getting 8 and is terrible this year - and injured again.   

Im all for improving our defense, keeping Tanev and acquiring Schmidt would have likely worked out better for us because we won't find many opportunities via free agency this year at least to improve it.   All the teams are working for the ED.   Yes Seattle will have left overs - doubt they will sell them to a team in their own division, that's bad business.   So don't expect that unless we pay a pretty premium for that luxury.    I guess we could always try and bring Guddy back - his 4.5 million deal is up this year lol.    We need more players like Schmidt and Myers - not less. 

That's because of the Seattle expansion draft requirements, no? Teams have to leave at least one d-man who is under contract for next season, has played X number of games and stuff like that. The Canucks have only two guys who meet those criteria, Myers and Schmidt. Looking at the forwards who will likely be made available by the Canucks, I am assuming that the Seattle management will target d-men and build from there. I'm assuming there's a good chance that Myers/Schmidt will be among the better draft eligible d-men : https://www.capfriendly.com/expansion-draft/seattle 

As to the rest of your post, I don't disagree, however, this expansion draft (along with the cap situation) will put a curve in how things go. One thing that the Canucks could do is trade for another veteran d-man (with a reasonable contract and shorter term) who meets the draft requirements, which means that both Myers and Schmidt could be protected.

regards,  G.

On 2/23/2021 at 10:49 PM, *Buzzsaw* said:

Putting aside the game result, which I won't comment on... it looks to me that Olli Juolevi is finding his skates in this league.

Kinda reminds me of Dan Hamhuis with his offensive vision... he has an understanding of the pass in the offensive zone and when to jump up... handles the puck with a calmness which is promising.

He isn't putting up the points yet, but I predict he will... he is just starting to get his head wrapped around what he needs to do to contribute.

Defensive play is better too... after the mixed results early on in the season.  His weak point is to get to far into the O-Zone and get caught, but that is improving.

He shows his calmness in the D-Zone too... I think he will be a solid #3 or #4 D if he can put some meat on his bones, get up close to 200 lbs and get some more confidence.

?

he's been solid defensively since day 1.

his outcomes were actually better earlier in the season - and that was with harder minutes.

still looking great though.

• Haha 1