The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Lynn Valley Library Stabbings, Multiple Victims

-DLC-

4 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Where?   Let's hear how they go about their daily lives out there?  (FTR I've known people out there, so am curious as to what information you can provide).

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/this-map-shows-where-vancouver-residents-can-get-free-and-low-cost-food-1.4941163

There are other places/programs not listed here as well. We would be hearing about deaths from malnutrition if people could not find sustenance on the streets.

Everyone spends their time differently.

6 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

For sure, that is why homeless people die at the younger age, are in worse health shape, more likely to be killed, assaulted and raped etc. Because it’s more humane to let them live in the street.

You ever look at stats or is this is just your opinion?

I've been homeless before and have spent extensive time in hospitals.

I'm speaking from a point of knowing how absolutely barbaric it is to keep people in those places.

I - and most people - would rather live shortly and well than long and in a bad way.

• Huggy Bear 1

42 minutes ago, GoCanucks16 said:

I'm speaking from a point of knowing how absolutely barbaric it is to keep people in those places.

I - and most people - would rather live shortly and well than long and in a bad way.

You can only speak for the "I" part....not the "most people".

And you didn't address the part about dignity...basics like water/washrooms.

Sure...food is handed out provided you get there.  Ha - you don't think people are dying on the street?  Turn the news on.  

Fires (trying to keep warm)

Fights in homeless camps

Overdoses

This "I'd rather die" stuff is unproven if you've been there, done that and didn't.  It means it's not quite that dramatic because you, reportedly, got out/free.  So it seems you wouldn't rather die because you didn't (which is awesome if any of this is to be believed...this is the internet so it's face value right now).

People in crisis due to mental health are not experiencing a great life and any help they can be provided with is better than no help.  You wont' change my mind on that.

Anyhow....good for you for getting out of the situation.  I'm not sure I believe it (if you have to Google things rather than referring to your own "experience") but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.  At least officially.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, GoCanucks16 said:

Do you mind me asking....where did you stay when you were homeless?  And which hospitals.  I truly want to be more educated on this if I'm way off base.

Global News has confirmed the man accused of a deadly stabbing rampage in North Vancouver’s Lynn Valley on Saturday is Yannick Bandaogo.

Court records show Bandaogo, born in 1993, is charged with a single count of murder, as of Sunday.

One woman was killed and six other people injured, when Bandaogo allegedly began stabbing people in North Vancouver’s Lynn Valley public library around 1:45 p.m. on Saturday.

According to police, he then moved outside and continued attacking people.

Witness video appears to show a man injuring himself with a knife before being subdued by police.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7724965/north-vancouver-stabbings-murder-charge/?utm_medium=Twitter&utm_source=%40globalbc

man canada system is literally messed up literally  we pay ten million dollars to a terrorist that killed an american with a grenade, kill a polish dude at the airport because 6 garbage human cops cant bother to calm guy down but we let mentally ill people walk around no problem lets let karla homolka walk around have a regular life and the guy in winnipeg that cut off a guys head is free as well wtf.  As a canadian we should be ashamed how the governments dealing with homeless mentally ill and our garbage criminal system my buddy died of fentyol laced coke 3 yrs ago he didnt have enough time to call 911 his dad found him in his room with a cigarette  that burnt his hand because he was already dead  there were texts  with him on cell phone with the douchey dealer thar implicated him guess what the cops said. Hes a small fish we wont be charging him hell guy should be in jailfor life. My friends son is 8 has no dad think about that before you do drugs these days. Canada needs real leadership in out government not corrupt asshats that do sketchy business deals  behind closed doors.

• Cheers 1

16 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

What about potential threat to themselves or others? as i asked. Just wait for them to do something and let the courts decide? 

My bro is Bi-polar. Currently in a manic spiral. The 2 times he tried to kill himself, he later admitted he wasn't himself. He was happy it wasn't his business, as he still lives.

He's big and tough and hates meds so we keep doing the same game.

So, I care about a Dr's opinion. By bro doesn't trust them but I think they are experts, you know due to the training and expertise. 

I have a problem with this because I've witnessed firsthand, a great friend of mine, whose wife forced him into seeing a "Dr", who prescribed "medication" to treat his "bi-polar disorder", which completely screwed up "his" life. She kicked him out of the house, was homeless, and a hopeless drunk. It wasn't until he got off the pills and started making his own rational choices, that his life became "semi-normal" again. Fair enough, some people simply cannot make a valid choice.

However, my friend is now making $50 cash an hour and still sober, and that's because he had to come to his own conclusion, make his own choices. We all have to.

2 minutes ago, BarnBurner said:

I have a problem with this because I've witnessed firsthand, a great friend of mine, whose wife forced him into seeing a "Dr", who prescribed "medication" to treat his "bi-polar disorder", which completely screwed up "his" life. She kicked him out of the house, was homeless, and a hopeless drunk. It wasn't until he got off the pills and started making his own rational choices, that his life became "semi-normal" again. Fair enough, some people simply cannot make a valid choice.

However, my friend is now making $50 cash an hour and still sober, and that's because he had to come to his own conclusion, make his own choices. We all have to.

I suppose each case is different.

By bro is 52 and has been in and out of hospital by his own doing due to police being called because of his behaviour. He was diagnosed when he was 17. It's been a long haul.

He hated his time in the psyche wards. But what he hated more was the treatment by the cops, tasered, broken ribs, dislocated shoulder. One time they held him under their cruisers exhaust as my screaming mum looked on.

One of my friends that I have lost touch with, also Bi-polar, put himself in UBC ward. The loss of his expected child sent him spiraling. His wife left him due to his behaviour. He credits his time 'inside' with saving his life despite also hating his time in there. He got well.

I also had an employee that was Bi-polar. Her story was not so good. I'll save that one but she refused to seek help.

So I have witnessed first hand in a very big way. I understand the intense amount of support some people need. My bro is lucky. We can financially and emotionally support him. We are a big family. Some people have nobody.

Thing I have noticed about the people I know with Bi-polar is that they are all different but what they all share is high intelligence. They can become very successful in life but the other thing they all share when in manic stages is delusions of grandeur mixed with paranoia. This leads to lack of trust of almost every other person.

I agree with you in one regard. They have to do their part, come to their on conclusion, they have to want to get better. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

By bro is 52 and has been in and out of hospital by his own doing due to police being called because of his behaviour. He was diagnosed when he was 17. It's been a long haul.

He hated his time in the psyche wards. But what he hated more was the treatment by the cops, tasered, broken ribs, dislocated shoulder. One time they held him under their cruisers exhaust as my screaming mum looked on.

One of my friends that I have lost touch with, also Bi-polar, put himself in UBC ward. The loss of his expected child sent him spiraling. His wife left him due to his behaviour. He credits his time 'inside' with saving his life despite also hating his time in there. He got well.

I also had an employee that was Bi-polar. Her story was not so good. I'll save that one but she refused to seek help.

So I have witnessed first hand in a very big way. I understand the intense amount of support some people need. My bro is lucky. We can financially and emotionally support him. We are a big family. Some people have nobody.

Thing I have noticed about the people I know with Bi-polar is that they are all different but what they all share is high intelligence. They can become very successful in life but the other thing they all share when in manic stages is delusions of grandeur mixed with paranoia. This leads to lack of trust of almost every other person.

I agree with you in one regard. They have to do their part, come to their on conclusion, they have to want to get better. 

Like you said, each case is different, and just like life, each one of us is individual - we all have to come to terms with ourselves psychologically. 

Sorry to hear about your brother and anyone who have issues with their lives. It's not a joke. 

I wish your brother the best. 

• Like 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

6 minutes ago, BarnBurner said:

Like you said, each case is different, and just like life, each one of us is individual - we all have to come to terms with ourselves psychologically. 

Sorry to hear about your brother and anyone who have issues with their lives. It's not a joke. 

I wish your brother the best. 

Thank you.

That means quite a bit to me right now. He's in a really bad state currently. Thankfully so far he hasn't had to go back inside as the durability of his fam, specifically our 75 yr old mum, has been right by his side. He's agreed to try some meds but sees that as very private and personal issue so we are hoping he is sticking to it. The stuff he is on should level him out in about another week, we hope. He, like many others, refuses Lithium which is a standard quicker fix. 

I'm somewhat a health nut and have been trying to talk to him about treating his body better, loving himself more and he seems to be listening.

Thanks again. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Thank you.

That means quite a bit to me right now. He's in a really bad state currently. Thankfully so far he hasn't had to go back inside as the durability of his fam, specifically our 75 yr old mum, has been right by his side. He's agreed to try some meds but sees that as very private and personal issue so we are hoping he is sticking to it. The stuff he is on should level him out in about another week, we hope. He, like many others, refuses Lithium which is a standard quicker fix. 

I'm somewhat a health nut and have been trying to talk to him about treating his body better, loving himself more and he seems to be listening.

Thanks again. 

You're sincerely welcome. 

None of us are perfect, and we ALL need support in some way or another. 

A friend of mine called me last night from the USA, out of the blue - it was awesome. She is such an amazing human being, and to hear her and the support she gives me, and her husband, is so amazing. Support is the key. 

I really do wish you, your brother and everyone the best.

Be well.

• Like 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

Getting a proper diagnosis and good care can be tough...I have a family member who was ordered to see a psychiatrist in order to stay in school.  An ultimatum.  I went with her...the guy was an absolute quack.  He spoke the entire time, all but for the last 10 minutes or so where he asked her a few quick questions.  Then prescribed anti depressants.  She was 15 at the time.  As we left the building she said "do I have to come back here?" and, in not wanting to influence her I asked why.  "Because that guy's a freakin alien".  I agreed, we laughed and we left.  It took awhile and a bit of a meandering path to get her "proper" care.

Most here know Matt Good (of the Matthew Good band).  He's been quite open about his near death experience when he was mis diagnosed.  Bi polar is tricky.

It's definitely not an easy "fix" and not all methods works for every person.  But being homeless is a struggle and just compounds the problems.  Being locked away isn't great (either) but at least you don't have to battle the elements, crime, the police, etc.  Lonely and isolated isn't ideal but that's where they need to find a solution that is an upgrade from the previous facility.

I've lost a few friends to mental health issues (suicide/overdose) and it's definitely a work in progress.

Who knows what this fellow suffered from (if anything).  But his freedom, if he was afflicted, has now ended tragically for many more than just him.

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Thank you.

Thanks again. 

He's lucky to have you.

My brother battled addiction for a decade...we came close to losing him.  Dragging him out of crack houses as a rival dealer "war" was erupting.  It was ugly.  Dad and I, frantically moving him out of there.  Borrowed my neighbour's van for the day and it was chaos...one big swoop in and out.  Was horrible...a dog (beautiful german shephard) came limping from the backyard, cut from the large broken front window that, apparently, was the start of the outburst the night before.  I intervened (of course...no way I was leaving that dog behind).

Twice we endured these "get him out of here" moves.

He was "lost", completely.  In a fog.  

It isn't easy but that little glimmer of hope and support can finally break through.  D's been clean and sober over 10 years now.  He's "back".   I hope you find the serenity and peace one day too my friend.  It sure ain't easy.  <3

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 2

52 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Heartbroken to hear the treatment your brother has suffered.

Your friends story also touches my heart.

Give your a brother a hug from me my friend and tell him some stranger in Aus cares.

• Like 2
  • Huggy Bear 1