The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Canucks first 6 games back will determine there Playoff chances

Rate this topic

Arrow 1983

Do You Believe the Canucks Can still make the Playoffs  

91 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 hours ago, Arrow 1983 said:

Of course it matters, first the Canucks are a business of entertainment the playoffs are entertaining.

Second, the playoffs are good experience for the players, for exactly the reason you said. It is a meat grinder and based on the way you think you would have players in their prime play their first playoffs game something some of them have not experience. So basically you want to throw away couple prime years to learn to win in the playoffs the meat grinder as you call it. Tell me a team that you have seen miss the playoffs multiple years and then win the cup in their first time in. How many win in even a round or 2.

Third injuries are a part of the game. Clearly you have never played at a high level. So let me tell you from experience I played in the BCHL go Merritt Centennials, and then in University. The players understand that they can get injured they play because they love the game. I can tell you I would take a hundred injuries even to play a single NHL playoff game. 

You seriously have no clue what you are talking about you talk as a fan who only cares about how you feel about the situation. I realized I wasn't talented enough to play in the NHL and pursued higher education but when players make it and I know guys who have they would do anything to play in the NHL ask a young guy that plays on the forth line. Or my friend Link Gaetz.

Are you for real?? this isn't the minors, this is the best league in the entire world for a reason and any team will do anything necessary to win no matter how dirty it is to get it .. and you call me clueless?? your hilarious!

11 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

Are you for real?? this isn't the minors, this is the best league in the entire world for a reason and any team will do anything necessary to win no matter how dirty it is to get it .. and you call me clueless?? your hilarious!

My point exactly they all want to be in the playoffs 

6 hours ago, Arrow 1983 said:

yeah me too... but if they don't then there's less chance of a serious injury that will screw our plans up going for the cup in the next cpl of years is something we don't need NOW, that could be disastrous for the place we want to be in then and we get a better chance at the lottery as well to get a high end D prospect.. and we all know how bad we good at the lottery so improved odds won't hurt either.. but look at it this way, you think we are going to stand much of a chance after the schedule we're going to put in even before the post starts IF we were to make it, that, Mr arrow, is realistic.. especially after getting decimated by covid too.. your expecting something that doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things involving a Stanley Cup, after 2 seasons it will, then our window will be open and another 3-4 seasons past that or more and a farm that's producing instead of selling it and that's why we have no cup.. we had two shots at it after doing that and all in 40 plus years.. you know better than that, so no, missing the post season this season would not be the end of the world...

22 hours ago, iceman64 said:

21 hours ago, Arrow 1983 said:

Sorry to butt in.  Just wanted to point out that it seems like you are both arguing from a different perspective. You are both right. Its just that,

Arrow is arguing from a players pov. 

iceman64 is arguing from a fans pov.

carry on.

42 minutes ago, kilgore said:

Sorry to butt in.  Just wanted to point out that it seems like you are both arguing from a different perspective. You are both right. Its just that,

Arrow is arguing from a players pov. 

iceman64 is arguing from a fans pov.

carry on.

So I'm right :) it is best for players not what's best for fans.

In the long run what's best for players is best for fans

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Arrow 1983 said:

So I'm right :) it is best for players not what's best for fans.

In the long run what's best for players is best for fans

Not necessarily.

Eddie Lack was on 650 today discussing the idea of bringing up prospects at the end of a season and what that says to the vets about the season being done.  You still have to walk a fine line. If the vets end the season sitting on the bench watching the team get taken apart by other teams with blow out after blowout to end the season, its a kind of disrespect.

And players already playing want to play more.  They still want to pad their stats. Some may be working on bonuses. And why would they want to give a younger player the opportunity to take their jobs next season if they make a good impression?  What if that's not better for the team?

Fans, for the most part, if the playoffs are mathematically out of reach, want to see the youth, the future.  They want them to experience NHL play. The more games the better.  Sitting Rousel, Beagle, Pearson, Sutter, and especially the newly acquired cast-offs, in order to do that is no problem for us fans. And one could argue, that it is the best for the team, long term. Invaluable experience for the younger prospects.  Which can be argued is better for the team winning sooner in the years ahead.  Even though vets still have something to win now....a bigger, or even simply another, contract. 

So do you care more about a veteran hockey player you will never meet, being able to help his chances of increasing his millions to more millions, maybe even on another team, by padding their stats a bit more in the last month of play, and keep them happy with coaches and management....or make them disgruntled with lack of minutes, but helping the team's future by giving more of the youth more NHL experience in a window where they can get that experience without the standings having any more importance?  Like Lack said, its a balance, can't go too far one way or another.  But I'd now put more weight on playing more kids.

10 minutes ago, kilgore said:

Not necessarily.

Eddie Lack was on 650 today discussing the idea of bringing up prospects at the end of a season and what that says to the vets about the season being done.  You still have to walk a fine line. If the vets end the season sitting on the bench watching the team get taken apart by other teams with blow out after blowout to end the season, its a kind of disrespect.

And players already playing want to play more.  They still want to pad their stats. Some may be working on bonuses. And why would they want to give a younger player the opportunity to take their jobs next season if they make a good impression?  What if that's not better for the team?

Fans, for the most part, if the playoffs are mathematically out of reach, want to see the youth, the future.  They want them to experience NHL play. The more games the better.  Sitting Rousel, Beagle, Pearson, Sutter, and especially the newly acquired cast-offs, in order to do that is no problem for us fans. And one could argue, that it is the best for the team, long term. Invaluable experience for the younger prospects.  Which can be argued is better for the team winning sooner in the years ahead.  Even though vets still have something to win now....a bigger, or even simply another, contract. 

So do you care more about a veteran hockey player you will never meet, being able to help his chances of increasing his millions to more millions, maybe even on another team, by padding their stats a bit more in the last month of play, and keep them happy with coaches and management....or make them disgruntled with lack of minutes, but helping the team's future by giving more of the youth more NHL experience in a window where they can get that experience without the standings having any more importance?  Like Lack said, its a balance, can't go too far one way or another.  But I'd now put more weight on playing more kids.

I can tell you with absolute certain that all the players in that room is still trying to make the playoffs.

Second there are maybe 2 or 3 guys in that locker room that need to pad their stats Sutter might be one. Edler is already Edler if he gets another goal or couple extra assets it won't mean much. Gms aren't stupid.

Most of the young core are already on contract. Hughes is a number 1 so again it won't matter with him it is term and how much for that specific term.

25 minutes ago, Arrow 1983 said:

I can tell you with absolute certain that all the players in that room is still trying to make the playoffs.

Second there are maybe 2 or 3 guys in that locker room that need to pad their stats Sutter might be one. Edler is already Edler if he gets another goal or couple extra assets it won't mean much. Gms aren't stupid.

Most of the young core are already on contract. Hughes is a number 1 so again it won't matter with him it is term and how much for that specific term.

I don't doubt that.

And every player wants to pad their stats. They have young families to feed. They all want to play. For more than one reason. I'm speaking more about after they are mathematically out.

No, GM's aren't stupid, neither are coaches. Its a balance for them too. They can see the long term benefits of playing the youth now for experience, but if the playoffs are still a possibility, they still want to play their vets.  Even if they are out of the playoffs,  coaches still want to pad their winning percentage stats too. That's where the interests of the GM may start to differ from the coach and start to pressure them to play the youth over some vets.

And the GM would not be wrong.  It is best for the team long term.  But a veteran player may not agree with that if he has to sit.  So if a fan agrees with looking long term and playing the youth, a veteran on the team may not agree with that for his own personal career reasons.