The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Canucks first 6 games back will determine there Playoff chances

Rate this topic

Arrow 1983

Do You Believe the Canucks Can still make the Playoffs  

91 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think it's asking too much of this sick band of brothers to go for run.  Remember, this is a variant they are dealing with, which has far worse side effects that the original.

Personally, I will enjoy watching the youngin's perform and will cheer for the team as if they are making a playoff run.  When we reach the end of the season, we will have a pretty good idea of how close to NHL ready the prospects are doing.  We will also see that our team will have a very favourable draft pick this year.

• Vintage 1

I agree with the OP, it is a longshot, but not impossible.  MTL has a pretty brutal schedule to finish up as well, and it isn't like they have been playing well as of late.  Our team could come out well rested, and hungry or flat and out of shape, we don't know that yet.  We also have guys like Boyd, Vessey, Bowey, Highmore, and likely Lind, Rathbone who will be looking to make a mark, who knows how these guys fit in.  

Best case, MTL SH*** the be and goes 5-10 down the stretch and we sneak in, worst case, we end up missing and get a prime draft pick. Either outcome is fine by me.

• Vintage 1

11 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

It's not happening, man. Demko would have to play out of his goddamn mind, and I'm not even sure if playing out of this world for 19 games is going to do it. The team dug its grave early in the season, to be honest. After such a poor start, they could not climb out of that. There was just no way, and then the health of the players have been hit pretty hard with COVID, so I'm not sure how that's going to affect their on ice performance. I'm not even sure if Demko was affected by COVID, if he was, the chances nose dive from whatever low percentage we had to begin with to make the postseason. I just want this season to be done, so that the players can recover, rest, and get back to it next season, when I assume and hope, we'll be back in the arena watching live games again (one can hope). 

7 hours ago, appleboy said:

It is about where we select in the draft. Not about some imaginary playoff run.

Petey needs to get healthy. The rest of the club is coming off covid. 

Please stop the nonsense of a playoff run.

Play some kids.

3 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

I am not expecting a playoff appearance for the team this year. at all   It almost seems futile for them to "battle" after their COVID "battle" knowing the likelihood of making it is so extremely thin.  

I voted yes because I feel the first few games will set a tone in how much they do exert into this.  If they miraculously win a bunch in a row, it'll spark something.  If they don't (which is more likely) then they can just ease off, bring guys in to get through the duration and focus on staying getting healthy.

This year was a "well, we tried" fustercluck of a year.

2 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

I'm fine if we do miraculously go for a run, though was hoping more that the season could just be cancelled since they'd be recovering from a team-wide Covid situation, plus Schmidt's still out with it, who knows how recovered the guys are (and if our stars like Demko, Hughes and Horvat still feel it), not to mention Petey is also out.

Hopefully our patchwork defense with Rathbone, Sautner, Rafferty, Chatfield... behind Hughes/ Myers/ Edler are ready to go, and that the team wouldn't have more injury issues.  Strong play from Lind (if he plays), Highmore and Vesey would be icing on the cake too.  That being said, I'm not expecting many wins or qualification, just that they keep beating the Sens and get good experience for the kids. 

All of you mention Covid and I believe this is just an excuse for the fans to justify a believe that they will play bad. The truth is that most people who get Covid have little to no symptoms. I am not saying Covid is not real or anything like that, my point is that none of us know the extent as to how bad or non-existent the players symptoms where. If they weren't hockey players the ones that showed no symptoms would never have known they had it. This is true for the general public as there is many walking around in our communities that have Covid but show no symptoms and therefore, do not think to get tested this is true for people with the variants as well. Hockey players are mandated to be tested almost on a daily bases. Therefore, the Canuck Community as a minor segment of the whole showed that this variant spread to almost every one and it is interesting to note that Benn who tested positive prior to the Start of the season was one of few who did not go on Covid protocol this time around. 

I understand I am rambling and this did go in a different direction then when I started typing but the Canucks outbreak speaks more of how Covid and this Variant spreads more so then how they will come out of the gate. This outbreak could easily have given multiple players that didn't show symptoms a much needed rest in this very condensed schedule just as it could hinder them. No one can say with absolute certainty that this break will hinder them.

9 hours ago, FaninMex said:

Didn't you tell us all that we were eliminated a few months ago?

Yes I did and and at the time I was pretty sure of it as I stated in my post I was one that believed they where done. But then the Covid out break on MTL and Van happen and I think it might have changed the narrative. I all so said it would be hard but not impossible and the next 6 games will  give us a better picture of things to come. 

I think they're done. Recovering from Covid and injuries, running the gauntlet on the horizon, and coming back out of game shape combined with the hole they dug themselves earlier in the season is likely too big a hill to climb. 

OP is right.  Next 6 games will set the table.  Montreal lost again tonight.  They are 12 points ahead of us but we have 5 games in hand.  Cgy is 6 points ahead of us but we have 7 games in hand. Four of our next 6 games are against Ottawa.  

I am perfectly willing to accept that if the Canucks don't do well in their next 6 games that they are done.  But the OP just makes the point that if they win 5 of them they are going to be in it.  And that is true.

The other thread that talks about mathematical probability is complete bunk. Those probabilities change every time someone wins or loses.

This post is actually calm, reasonable and correct. Win 5 of the next 6 we are in the hunt. Do a lot worse,  we are not.

Good post.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

15 hours ago, appleboy said:

It is about where we select in the draft. Not about some imaginary playoff run.

Petey needs to get healthy. The rest of the club is coming off covid. 

Please stop the nonsense of a playoff run.

Play some kids.

The only thing I want is our team to avoid career altering injuries. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

may first we will know for sure. mtl and van have 8 games during that time. 

our schedule is pretty rough 4 games vs toronto and 4 games vs the sens. our first 2 games vs TO are basically a write off, id give very slim odds of even picking up a point. in the next 6 games if we win 3 of 4 from SENS and get 3 points from TO i'd say we got lucky. 9 points in 8 games. 44 points with 11 games remaining. With covid and injuries this would be a Great record in the next 8 games.

mtl 8 games they play EDMx2 CGYx3 TOx1 WPGx1 OTTx1. they need to do pickup 6 points or less for us to realistically have a shot. 53 points with 6 GR.

at this point for the rest of the season

if mtl went.677 they would finish with 61 points. canucks would have to have to go 7-1-3 or 8-2-1

if mtl went.500 they would finish with 59 points. canucks would have to have to go 6-2-3 or 7-3-1

if Mtl went. 333 they would finish with 57 points. canucks would have to have to go 5-3-3 or 6-4-1

if MTL Some how poops the bed in thier last 6 games and goes and goes 0.166 they would finish with 55 points. canucks would have to have to pickup 11/22 points.

in any of these scenarios our last 4 games vs cgy will be like a playoff series we will "likely" need to win at least 3/4 from them other wise we wont have enough points or CGY could pass us.

Edited by Petey_BOI

For me, I don’t even really care about the playoffs or hockey anymore this season.  I just want the players to be healthy and ok with no long term consequences of having gone through Covid.   

I’m actually quite concerned about the players playing 19 games in 32 nights given what they’ve just gone through.   Is this really the healthiest thing to be doing?    

Honestly, if the Canucks just forfeited the season after a few games, I’d be perfectly ok with it.

I have a dream for Canucks making the playoff, but I don't think so. 

Canucks is now a sick team, we are not sure they are totally out of COVID and injuries.

Just want the coach using more young prospects, to gain more NHL experience.

Hoping they play hard for every game.

Best wishes to the team!

16 minutes ago, BCNate said:

.500 gets them 59 points.  We need to go 11-7 to get there.  Flames lost too,  they need to go 9-2 to get to 59.

This is how I see it the key is the 4 Ott games

Right now the Canucks have 5 games in hand on MTL but are 10 points behind.

If in our next 5 games lets say we loss to Tor but win all 4 against Ott or We win against Tor and go 3 and 1 against Ott. We make up 8 points on MTL if they hadn't played in those days. That means we would need to go 7-6 in our remaining games as long as MTL keeps playing .500 hockey if they play worse than .500 hockey than it just makes it easier on the Canucks

Edited by Arrow 1983