The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Canucks first 6 games back will determine there Playoff chances

Rate this topic

Arrow 1983

Do You Believe the Canucks Can still make the Playoffs  

91 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This is interesting, at the start of the season, we were an exhausted team a lot of that first 6 weeks and highly disorganized. A lot of the other teams were relatively rested due to their easier, starting schedules.

Suddenly, we're a rested team while our opponents are exhausted. If we can manage our energy by rotating enough fresh players in from taxi squad etc, we could theoretically still make the playoffs. We're not going to catch Toronto, but we really could catch Montreal with how they are playing.

Its going to be an interesting finish.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

This is interesting, at the start of the season, we were an exhausted team a lot of that first 6 weeks and highly disorganized. A lot of the other teams were relatively rested due to their easier, starting schedules.

Suddenly, we're a rested team while our opponents are exhausted. If we can manage our energy by rotating enough fresh players in from taxi squad etc, we could theoretically still make the playoffs. We're not going to catch Toronto, but we really could catch Montreal with how they are playing.

It isn't theoretical the Canucks are makin the playoffs period. It is no longer if this or that they are making the playoffs

• Cheers 1

Last night might have seemed like a tough lose but it isn't.

My Original post showed that they could lose one against Tor but they didn't. So no big deal we lost one against Ott. Got to take the next 3.

MTL is 1-2 in the same time frame so they are right on track maybe even worse. They can only afford to lose 1 of their next 4

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Arrow 1983 said:

Last night might have seemed like a tough lose but it isn't.

My Original post showed that they could lose one against Tor but they didn't. So no big deal we lost one against Ott. Got to take the next 3.

MTL is 1-2 in the same time frame so they are right on track maybe even worse. They can only afford to lose 1 of their next 4

Agree - it's a long shot but fingers crossed.  My concern isn't so much now its the next few weeks when they're into playing 3 in 4 nights.  That's when its gonna be a challenge.

Another way to look at it is if the Canucks go 4 and 1 in their next 5, they would be tied with the Canadians after the same number of games.    The Canadians are ahead both in terms of win percent and points, but it's possible to catch them using the games in hand.  Not impossible.

• Vintage 2

On 4/20/2021 at 9:04 PM, VegasCanuck said:

Who said we were trying to catch Toronto? people were saying we couldnt even catch Habs couple of weeks ago

58 minutes ago, RogersTowell said:

Another way to look at it is if the Canucks go 4 and 1 in their next 5, they would be tied with the Canadians after the same number of games.    The Canadians are ahead both in terms of win percent and points, but it's possible to catch them using the games in hand.  Not impossible.

its very possible, especially with price injured. Habs would be one Allen injury away from basically throwing their season in the toilet. Am am not even mentioning Gallagher injury who istheir best player next to Toffoli.

9 hours ago, RogersTowell said:

MTL is actually in serious trouble now.   It seems like without those Vancouver games they simply aren't that good at playing anyone else.    Even if they stop the bleeding at play .500 the rest of the way, our winning percentage outside of them is actually not bad and getting better.   CAL is playing for their life right now.   So are we.    They are doing something else entirely. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

On 4/24/2021 at 6:55 AM, Mackcanuck said:

Pretty big gap in the standings for a team with only one more win than Vancouver. It's so frustrating to think when this is all said and done. Montreal could still get in and Vancouver outside looking in even if Van having a couple of more wins 

On 4/17/2021 at 12:15 AM, Arrow 1983 said:

Now that the Canucks have a much more firm date of return, I thought it would be fun to get back to talking about what we would be talking about, the up coming playoff picture.

Now I know that some of you have already written them off and to be honest I did to before the Covid outbreak. I am not delusional, I do realize that it would take a great run for the Canucks to make the playoffs. But I have been analyzing both the Canucks and Canadians schedule and I have started to change my mind about the Canucks playoff Chances. It seems that the Die hard fans of this forum who haven't given up on them might be right. 

Let me explain what is I see in the Schedule that might change your mind

As it stands Van has 4 games in hand on MTL but MTL has 12pts on Van. 

(interesting note if both teams where tied at seasons end depending on how the remaining games play out both teams have a path to the playoffs through tiebreakers. But if all games where won or lost in regulation or the Canucks managed to win more games in regulation then MTL, the Canucks would have the 1st and 2nd tiebreakers This is due to MTL having so many loser points. MTL only holds the 3rd Tiebreaker game results played against each other).

As I stated in the Title The Canucks first 6 games will determine their playoff chances. Here is why

Van plays Tor twice and Ott 4 times. that's 6 games no back to backs for the first 6 games. 

MTL plays 7 games in the same period, 1 Against Ott tonight (this is a back to back as they played yesterday). 2 against Edm 3 against Cal and 1 against Tor ( note, the Canucks play Tor the next day so the Canucks get Tor on a back to back but this is the Canucks first Back to Back the first game being against Ott).

For the Canucks to have any chance of making the playoffs I predict that Minimally they would have to split the first two Games against Tor and win all 4 games against Ott for a record of   5-1. I believe this is do able. The Canucks will have two games to get the rust off against Tor and should be fired up against a team they know they can beat and have dominated all season In OTT. The hardest part of this task will be the Canucks finding a win against Tor. Hard but not impossible.

Second part of this is MTL of course. Since returning MTL has been playing .500 hockey. I believe this is in part of their very condensed schedule. The Canucks had been playing far more games to start the season and MTL last half of the season was much more condensed then the Canucks to start with. After their Covid outbreak their Schedule became much more condensed and I believe it is starting to show in their play. 

It doesn't get better for MTL they have 15 game in 26 days while the Canucks have 19 games in 32 days

If MTL goes 3-4 in their next 7 games which I Believe is a very good possibility. Their records would look like this 

Van 21-19-3 45pts 43 games played with 13 games remaining

Mtl 22-17-9 53 pts 48 games play with 8 games remaining therefore leaving the Canucks 5 games in hand. 

If MTL Keeps playing at .500 hockey then their record would be 26-21-9 61pts. 

Then in the Canucks last 13 games of hockey they would need to go 8-5 for a record of 29-24-3 61 pts. 

I would just like to finish this topic reminding everyone about the Great run the Canucks made in last Seasons playoffs after they had a long break. If Demko is up to this Challenge as I believe he is The Canucks will make the Playoffs.

I've said this before and I'll say it again.. really? who gives a flying F if we make the playoffs or not, we're not going to win the cup and if the team doesn't make in then we won't put our guys through a gruelling meat grinder injury laden post season as it usually happens so should we be all that concerned if we do or not and on top of that we stand a better chance of a higher draft pick if we don't.. it's not a huge deal, really... 

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, iceman64 said:

I've said this before and I'll say it again.. really? who gives a flying F if we make the playoffs or not, we're not going to win the cup and if the team doesn't make in then we won't put our guys through a gruelling meat grinder injury laden post season as it usually happens so should we be all that concerned if we do or not and on top of that we stand a better chance of a higher draft pick if we don't.. it's not a huge deal, really... 

Of course it matters, first the Canucks are a business of entertainment the playoffs are entertaining.

Second, the playoffs are good experience for the players, for exactly the reason you said. It is a meat grinder and based on the way you think you would have players in their prime play their first playoffs game something some of them have not experience. So basically you want to throw away couple prime years to learn to win in the playoffs the meat grinder as you call it. Tell me a team that you have seen miss the playoffs multiple years and then win the cup in their first time in. How many win in even a round or 2.

Third injuries are a part of the game. Clearly you have never played at a high level. So let me tell you from experience I played in the BCHL go Merritt Centennials, and then in University. The players understand that they can get injured they play because they love the game. I can tell you I would take a hundred injuries even to play a single NHL playoff game. 

You seriously have no clue what you are talking about you talk as a fan who only cares about how you feel about the situation. I realized I wasn't talented enough to play in the NHL and pursued higher education but when players make it and I know guys who have they would do anything to play in the NHL ask a young guy that plays on the forth line. Or my friend Link Gaetz.

• Vintage 1