The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[proposal] Trade Dipietro and the 9th overall.

39 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

This.  If the top of the class is that murky, then such a trade seems awfully risky.  And if you're Buffalo or Seattle, you'd want more for a 1st or 2nd overall pick.

I agree that a trade is risky, and Buffalo and Seattle have plenty of reasons to keep their picks. 

Buffalo's a disaster, truly. If anything they'll make the pick, move Eichel, and try to sell their long-suffering fanbase on yet another rebuild. Alternatively, they move the pick to try and get a 1c to replace Eichel, and sell the fanbase on the fact that they're trying. Tough choice, but I figure they'll market the pick as hope. 

Seattle would surprise me because it's their chance to make a splash with their fanbase a couple days after the expansion draft. It's an easy sell, easy marketing. 

Edited by Coconuts

It would cost a lot to move to move up to the top 2. Probably not the draft to be doing it though. Unless you are certain the guy you are getting is better than the guy you would have got at 9 plus all the assets you had to trade. I just dont see anyone that is that much of a sure star in this draft.

23 hours ago, Coconuts said:

I don't Virtanen holds much value right now, not after the season he had, and particularly given the ongoing legal scenario he's involved in 

I could see him being included in a deal if a team would take him on though, I don't see the Canucks wanting him back regardless of how the legal bit plays out, he's bad optics at this point and he's had plenty of chances

Nucks would probably prefer to roll the dice on someone else, likely one of their own prospects 

Jake might yet turn it around,.  But after this incident even clears,  he will never play good hockey in Vancouver.

14 hours ago, Coconuts said:

I agree that a trade is risky, and Buffalo and Seattle have plenty of reasons to keep their picks. 

Buffalo's a disaster, truly. If anything they'll make the pick, move Eichel, and try to sell their long-suffering fanbase on yet another rebuild. Alternatively, they move the pick to try and get a 1c to replace Eichel, and sell the fanbase on the fact that they're trying. Tough choice, but I figure they'll market the pick as hope. 

Seattle would surprise me because it's their chance to make a splash with their fanbase a couple days after the expansion draft. It's an easy sell, easy marketing. 

Another rebuild will be a disaster itself for Buffalo,  time to bring in a couple UFA’s

16 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Imagine if Alex Edler would have had a Solid Offensive #1 or #2 RHD as a partner, imagine how good that pairing would have been.

It’s over for Edler,.   Are we really going to hang on to fan favs ..   

Tanev for Hamonic was a very positive move for Vancouver.

Players who can engage in the physicality shut down game in the D end.

that stops everything .

looks boring to some, unaccounted in stats, 

but anything to stop the shot or play from proceeding wins the game Defensively.

4 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Another rebuild will be a disaster itself for Buffalo,  time to bring in a couple UFA’s

Seems inevitable though, with Eichel wanting out 

Buffalo likely moves some pieces and builds on the youth that remains, bringing in ufa's 

They lose any way you spin it imo 

• Cheers 1