The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) Low risk/High reward

Scanning through teams that may have to expose a good, young player, I came across 24 year old Mathieu Joseph.

LW/RW

19 pnts in 56, regular season, games while averaging 10:56 ice time.

That's pretty impressive, given his limited role on a stacked team.

With the ED coming soon, the Lightning will be making some tough decisions. Getting compensation for players they may have to expose would, obviously be of great interest.

2021 3rd round pick for Mathieu Joseph

With so many holes still remaining in our lineup, I find it very difficult to believe Green couldn't find him a fit in our top six.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

I think GM’s are going to be far more leery about deals like this after seeing that none of them worked out in the Vegas expansion draft.  A team can lose 1 asset with no compensation or 2 assets for minimal compensation. I think most will prefer to just lose the one player 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, komodo0921 said:

Scanning through teams that may have to expose a good, young player, I came across 24 year old Mathieu Joseph.

LW/RW

With the ED coming soon, the Lightning will be making some tough decisions. Getting compensation for players they may have to expose would, obviously be of great interest.

With so many holes still remaining in our lineup, I find it very difficult to believe Green couldn't find him a fit in our top six.

I like the idea, but for our bottom six.  

19 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

I think GM’s are going to be far more leery about deals like this after seeing that none of them worked out in the Vegas expansion draft.  A team can lose 1 asset with no compensation or 2 assets for minimal compensation. I think most will prefer to just lose the one player 

Yup, this is definitely fair.

I'd focus on getting centers first, though I like the idea of targeting TB.  Acquire Ross Colton for a low pick for 4th line C and sign either Goodrow/ Coleman for 3rd C if others aren't available, and all of a sudden we'll have a swift, gritty two-way group in the bottom-6 (presuming we terminate/ waive Jake, could run Motte - Coleman/ Goodrow - Podkolzin and Roussel - Colton - MacEwen/ Lind as bottom 6).

In fact I'd love it if, in one fell swoop, Vancouver addressed all its needs through TB (2021 1st and 5th for Cernak and Colton, then sign the 3rd C).

5 hours ago, komodo0921 said:

LW/RW

That’s a great find and I like this idea a lot.  Well done sir.

Edited by Patel Bure

5 hours ago, komodo0921 said:

LW/RW

I saw this guy too, TB has him, raddysh, katchouk, that all need protecting tho

4 hours ago, Canucks Curse said:

I saw this guy too, TB has him, raddysh, katchouk, that all need protecting tho

There isn't anyway TBL can protect all their forwards or defensemen. They will be relying on the fact that Seattle can only take one player (and probably sweetening the deal to help them take the right asset from TBL perspective, i.e. one on a ~$5m contract like Johnson, Palat, Killorn, McDonagh).

They will be looking to trade one more of those $5m guys listed above, and then they will fill remaining spots on their roster with league minimum salary players.

Guys like Joseph, Cernak, Colton, Raddysh, Stephens, Maroon, Rutta, Foote, etc will be essential to TBLs ability to beat the cap this coming season as their cap hits are all low (or will be low for resigned RFAs).

Also picks are probably not high on TBLs priority list right now. The only way I can see them trading someone like Joseph is if we send back a good NHLer on retained salary (e.g. Motte at 50%) but I can't see how that helps us.