The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) What would we have to give up to get the 2022 and 2023 1st round picks from Buffalo?

Okay here's my thinking - Buffalo is a tragedy. Everyone wants out, and they've also spent so long "rebuilding", I doubt they can afford to do another full rebuild through the draft. 
We know they're still gonna stink for a couple years no matter what - its going to take time to right the ship, and so they've probably got the best chances of picking 1st in 2022 and 2023.. When Shane Wright and Connor Bedard will be draft eligible respectively.

What would we have to give up to get those two picks?

Would you part with one of our stars (Hughes or Petey) for both picks + Reinhart? 

Imagine if we got both Wright AND Bedard.... We'd be the new Pittsburgh w Crosby and Malkin. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 3

21 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

Okay here's my thinking - Buffalo is a tragedy. Everyone wants out, and they've also spent so long "rebuilding", I doubt they can afford to do another full rebuild through the draft. 
We know they're still gonna stink for a couple years no matter what - its going to take time to right the ship, and so they've probably got the best chances of picking 1st in 2022 and 2023.. When Shane Wright and Connor Bedard will be draft eligible respectively.

Would you part with one of our stars (Hughes or Petey) for both picks + Reinhart? 

Imagine if we got both Wright AND Bedard.... We'd be the new Pittsburgh w Crosby and Malkin. 

Or, we could just trust that Benning will find outstanding value in the draft, as usual.

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

Can we trade you?

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, FaninMex said:

HAHAHA. Considering your name and your trade topics, plus the fact that school is out, I wonder who the child is. 

Jus sayin stop being a little prick and we'll all be good. 
Ideas are for discussion - personal attacks are really not welcome, nor do they make you look smart. So sit down and mind your manners, child. 

2 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

Open to this, I can throw in 20 bucks, should get us halfway there?

1 minute ago, Losing With Pride said:

I'm good for a toonie.

At this rate we will be able to buy the Sabres' concession stands by the time that Wright and Bedard retire.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

Jus sayin stop being a little prick and we'll all be good. 
Ideas are for discussion - personal attacks are really not welcome, nor do they make you look smart. So sit down and mind your manners, child. 

There were no personal attacks except from you when you called me a child. I simply asked if we could trade you. Don't insult someone then go and hide behind your mothers skirts and say I did it.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Monteeun said:

I'm actually happy picking 9th. Going for 1st is unnecessary. Obviously i want the 1st, i mean, everyone does but not at the cost.

Yeah I mean - me too. We've found great value in the top 10, outside of picking top 3. Petey, Hughes, Podz probably too. 

Just imagining what it'd be like to have a once in a generation talent like Bedard. But if we had to sell everything to get him - its not worth it. Especially after the ELC is done - the massive contract TO gave to Auston Matthews, Edmonton gave to McDavid.. I don't think these top heavy deals do the team any favors. Patel Bure makes a very interesting point about an "internal cap" - and I tend to agree. If we can keep our top player to like 6.5-7m/year, it sets the stage for much better value contracts. 

There were no personal attacks except from you when you called me a child. I simply asked if we could trade you. Don't insult someone then go and hide behind your mothers skirts and say I did it.

shhhhh quiet, its oke

5 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

shhhhh quiet, its oke

Ok let's see.

1. Buffalo do not have those firsts as the season has not been played and the lottery has not taken place. For all we know the trolls on here could be right and we miss the playoffs and win the lottery.

2. When was the last time you saw someone trade the first overall?

Shhhhh quiet little one. It's OK.

• Haha 2
  • RoughGame 1

2 minutes ago, FaninMex said:

Ok calm down guys/gals, let's keep it civil.   This is an out of the box proposal, who cares if the value is off, that's a pretty different idea.  

Problem with anything regarding Buffalo is Eichel and Skinner.   One needs surgery or a long re-hab ala Gary Roberts style, and few people on the planet including pro athletes can do what he did.    Skinner absolutely needs to at least provide 5-6 million value or they are hooped.   Might as well keep their picks and start over IMO.   A tough thing given that means another 5-7 years for the team.   But the right thing is rarely the easy thing, case in point what JB did last off season. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Ok let's see.

1. Buffalo do not have those firsts as the season has not been played and the lottery has not taken place. For all we know the trolls on here could be right and we miss the playoffs and win the lottery.

Every freaking year someone makes a thread about trading for the first.    We did once... do you know when? 

5 minutes ago, FaninMex said:

Ok let's see.

There ya go - discussion points! I like it. That was the whole point of the topic.

1. Yes - this is accurate! That's why my point was "they've probably got the best chances of picking 1st in 2022 and 2023". We'd have no chance of trading for the 1OA once the spot has been confirmed in either of those two drafts - Wright and Beard being generational talents, it just wouldn't make any sense to trade once the spot has solidified. But.. I wanted some thoughts from folks on a. the odds of Buffalo picking 1st in either of those two drafts, and b. the desire Buffalo may have for stars that can play now, rather than entering yet another rebuild.

2. Sedins?- Nope I'm wrong - we got the #2 and #3 overall, and made a deal so we could get the Sedins

I didn't make this post with a specific trade in mind - rather, in what circumstances might it make sense to acquire the 1st rounders from the team that's most likely to pick 1st in two drafts that will have generational talents. 

Edited by eeeeergh