The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Article on 10 bold moves for the Canucks

An interesting read and I like most of what was written

https://www.nucksmisconduct.com/2021/7/14/22577011/vancouver-canucks-bold-moves-nhl-offseason-2021?fbclid=IwAR16-YVrzShzS4ocFgq-TjJ8evDRQhlLmy3KkK16IATcvmi5d4cicCGsXr8

Graves would be nice but I don’t see how that defence is any better. Nutivaara is a bottom pair at best and left handed. You’re pairing him with Hughes? 

I’m not down with trading Schmidt just to trade him. If it’s true Schmidt isn’t happy. Winning fixes everything imo. We shouldn’t move him just to save cap space. There are other avenues.

Reimer would be a good Vet back up. I like that. Is Granlund suited for a third line center role. Or is he mostly a top 6 offensive guy or bust? 

I think that roster kinda stinks to be honest. Rather Hamonic if the price remains right 

I like reimer and graves the most of it all. I dont mind cheap deals for a year to see how they do. Need to have the cap space for that nasty Big RHD next offseason. Was really hoping we could make a deal before the ED to fix our 3C but idk doesnt look like thats going to happen.

39 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Graves would be nice but I don’t see how that defence is any better. Nutivaara is a bottom pair at best and left handed. You’re pairing him with Hughes? 

I’m not down with trading Schmidt just to trade him. If it’s true Schmidt isn’t happy. Winning fixes everything imo. We shouldn’t move him just to save cap space. There are other avenues.

Reimer would be a good Vet back up. I like that. Is Granlund suited for a third line center role. Or is he mostly a top 6 offensive guy or bust? 

I think that roster kinda stinks to be honest. Rather Hamonic if the price remains right 

Not that I have a lot of interest in Nutivaara now but I remember saying that I didn’t like the rumours back in March talking about a possible trade of  Virtanen for Nutivaara.  SMH, that looks like that would have been a home run now!

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Not that I have a lot of interest in Nutivaara now but I remember saying that I didn’t like the rumours back in March talking about a possible trade of  Virtanen for Nutivaara.  SMH, that looks like that would have been a home run now!

I dont think it was nutivaara. Cant remember now who it was but it was a forward.

3 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

He tricked us with his 18 goals lol. He was breaking out. Curse you JV 

• Haha 1

1. Burying Eriksson and Roussel in Abbotsford wouldn't be considered a bold move.  Eriksson is heading there regardless and Roussel might stick around as the 13th forward

2. Buying out Virtanen and Holtby has been talked about at length.  I think Holtby can get traded and I think they buy out Virtanen

3. Reimer is an option as a backup as are about 5 other goalies

4. We have more than one thread on trading Schmidt and it has been reported he may be on the block. I'm sure we can get more for Schmidt than a former 7th round pick smallish defenceman in Nutivaara

5. Graves will get taken by Seattle or Colorado makes a deal with Seattle to take someone else, so this trade will never happen.  Vancouver isn't trading 2 2nd rounds picks or Juolevi and a 2nd rounder for Graves.  Benning will just re-sign Edler to fill the role on the left side

6. YES to Jani Hakanpaa.  NO to Mark Pysyk

7. NO to Mikael Granlund and Alex Wennberg.  I like Wennberg but he will cost too much

8. No to all those forward fillers

9. Benning isn't going to offer sheet anyone

10. Edler is coming back, that is pretty obvious

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

I don't mind any of the D-men they suggest we acquire, but all together that defense is atrocious.

You'd be relying on Graves - Myers to play as the shutdown pair which has yikes written all over it.

We need stabilizers on defence not depth D-men and/or projects.

Simply put, it's put up or shut up time for Benning when it comes to composing a competent defence.

The frustrating thing with this team is how we were in rebuild mode and it was kind of half baked (we had net negative draft picks, a lot of I’ll advised moves, long contracts) and after last playoff run we had the team to be competitive. But because our roster is so horribly managed (32 million dollars spent on 16 goals, replacement defensive value and bottom end goaltending) we lost key pieces in Toffoli, Tanev, Markstrom and Stecher. All quality team guys who played a big part in our success. 

Now I don’t really know where the team is. We have a window before we pay big money to Hughes, EP but still have so many garbage contracts on the books. Jim Benning did a terrible job managing cap and our roster