The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2022 NHL Entry Draft

OK here are a few clips of Yurov dominating the boards. I had a bunch more from U18s but those videos are now blocked as "private". Lol I put little notes with all my clips so I know what they are and one from U18s was called "this kid just doesn't lose battles." so you can imagine there are some even better than the ones I have here. In the two MHL clips he wears #22. The other couple are from 5NU17s where he wore #25 for Russia.

In this first clip he wins the first battle easily, but wait 10 seconds and it gets more interesting. That big bastard Morozov is listed at 6'1, 231:

This next one is the kind of one on two battle that is just normal for him to win:

Just gorgeous:

This one is a bit uglier, but Russia comes away with it:

On 2/21/2022 at 9:01 AM, HighOnHockey said:

I would say that top tier is a little deeper than last year. Maybe more like a top 12 or 14. I'll use my own rankings, but after Wright, 2-12 are almost interchangeable in my opinion.

1. Shane Wright

2. Ivan Miroshnichenko

3. Juraj Slafkovsky

4. Danila Yurov

5. Simon Nemec

6. Logan Cooley

7. David Jiricek

8. Frank Nazar

9. Matthew Savoie

10. Conor Geekie

11. Jonathan Lekkerimaki

12. Joakim Kemell

13. Gleb Trikozov

14. Brad Lambert

15. Seamus Casey

16. Kevin Korchinsky

17. Cutter Gauthier

18. Liam Ohgren

19. Denton Mateychuk

20. Pavel Mintyukov

I'm pretty bullish in my opinion of Trikozov; most sources would not have him that early. But I'd say the group that I have as the top 12 would be pretty close to consensus. Some people would include Lambert and/or Gauthier. I'd say there would also be reasonable cases to be made to include Ohgren, Korchinsky, Casey in that group, but those opinions would be in the minority. The top 12 should be very close to the top 12 I have listed, but the order could vary wildly.

Where are you picking again in FL? :lol: :ph34r:

On 11/28/2021 at 11:59 AM, HighOnHockey said:

I do not see Kemell as the primary threat for first overall at this point. His numbers look pretty special right now, yes, but in such a small sample size it would only take a few games to bring him back down to earth. Mikael Granlund put up 0.93 p/g at 5'9/5'10 and went 9th overall. Barkov put up .91 p/g at 6'2 and went 2nd overall. If Wright was performing as expected and as he's shown he could at U18s, it wouldn't really matter what Kemell or anyone else was doing - nobody in this draft class could touch him. As things stand currently, I still see Miroshnichenko as the primary threat to Wright. But Savoie and Cooley have been on fire lately.

As I talked about recently, I'm still putting more emphasis in player's total bodies of work, not just a 16 or 22 game sample set from this season. Prior to this season, I didn't consider Kemell as a serious challenger for the top 5, and saw him as a fringe top 10 option. Of course, players have different development paths and some don't start to come into their own until 17 (or much later), so "what have you done for me lately" is a crucial aspect of scouting, but the sample size is still just too small at this point.

Man oh man, has Kemell ever come crashing back down to earth. Pointless and minus 15 in his last 13 games. Still looks like a fringe top 10 option to me. Obviously tons of skill and huge upside, but too much risk for my liking. Now might be a good time to look at who is trending up and down.

Brad Lambert, I'm not sure how anyone could still in good faith put him in their top 10 and this point. After a half-decent rookie season in Liiga last year, he's regressed to not much better than half his p/g from last season, and continues to regress to just one point in his last 14 games after leaving his JYP because he was struggling so badly there...

On the other side of things, Yurov is trending up sharply with 23 points in his last 14 games and 17 in his last 8. Making a strong case for himself in the top five.

Juraj Slafkovsky will be moving up every list after his Olympics performance. Now looking like a lock for the top five and very strong possibility to go top three.

Frank Nazar has been absolutely on fire with 17 points in his last ten games. Should be pushing into most people's top tens by now.

Kevin Korchinski and Pavel Mintyukov are a couple of defensemen with NHL size and have both been putting up monster numbers for the better part of the season now. It's been very unclear who would be the next defenesemen drafted after Nemec and Jiricek. Ryan Chesley, Tristan Luneau and especially Elias Salomonsson have fallen since the start of the season, and guys like Mateychuk, Nelson and Casey will be hard-pressed to make it into the top 15 due to size. As a 6'2 June birthday with 8 points in his last 5 and 11 in 10, Korchinski has to be a pretty clear top 15 pick by now. Mintyukov not far behind is a pretty clear top 20 and in contention for the top 15. I wonder if Korchinski might even find his way into the conversation with Nemec and Jiricek by the time all is said and done.

Seriously have to wonder if what us happening right now in Ukraine is going to affect the standings or draft positions of the top Russian players like Yurov and Miroschnichenko

Could a non playoff team be lucky enough to snag one of them?  

Could...we?

On 2/26/2022 at 10:27 AM, HighOnHockey said:

Man oh man, has Kemell ever come crashing back down to earth. Pointless and minus 15 in his last 13 games. Still looks like a fringe top 10 option to me. Obviously tons of skill and huge upside, but too much risk for my liking. Now might be a good time to look at who is trending up and down.

Brad Lambert, I'm not sure how anyone could still in good faith put him in their top 10 and this point. After a half-decent rookie season in Liiga last year, he's regressed to not much better than half his p/g from last season, and continues to regress to just one point in his last 14 games after leaving his JYP because he was struggling so badly there...

I'm not super "High" on this. 

Quoting yourself to throw shade at a teenager who had a hot start then got injured then went to the WJC and clearly got concussed and is now experiencing a cold spell. Liiga is a tough league most 17 year old's experience difficulty with consistency. Don't throw your shoulder out patting yourself on the back. Re Kemell.

When Miro has a hot streak to finish a mostly less than impressive season the pom poms come out. Jus sayin. 

I thought you were high on Lambert? I feel like I was initially too hard on him and you assured me I was wrong. So I went back and watched more of him. I personally have him around 8-9 the raw tools are top 5 in the draft I think some regression is healthy for his development things may have been coming too easy for him. Will he drop outside the top 10 probably but I don't nessicarily think he should and will very likely make people look foolish. 

Good take on Korchinski he looks like a player. 

I agree with @Warhippy if Yurov were to fall into our laps that would be something to seriously consider. 

Still think Owen Beck is the most underrated player in the draft and is without a doubt in my mind a top 15 player. Details they F'n matter. He does all the little things I love to see Pk's, Fore checks, back checks, wins FO's, every time I watch the steel heads I see a kid competing hard always there facilitating the play positively. With enough skill to be a very good 2c/3c in the league. The kind you win cups with. Coaches will really like him. 

Ty Nelson is a beast not concerned about his size at all he's a brick $&!#house. He's unequivocally passed Casey for me as far as point producing PMD's go. Boy can he blast it too.

Ty Nelson (@KidNelly89) / Twitter

10 hours ago, hammertime said:

Quoting yourself to throw shade at a teenager who had a hot start then got injured then went to the WJC and clearly got concussed and is now experiencing a cold spell. Liiga is a tough league most 17 year old's experience difficulty with consistency. Don't throw your shoulder out patting yourself on the back. Re Kemell.

When Miro has a hot streak to finish a mostly less than impressive season the pom poms come out. Jus sayin. 

I thought you were high on Lambert? I feel like I was initially too hard on him and you assured me I was wrong. So I went back and watched more of him. I personally have him around 8-9 the raw tools are top 5 in the draft I think some regression is healthy for his development things may have been coming too easy for him. Will he drop outside the top 10 probably but I don't nessicarily think he should and will very likely make people look foolish. 

I agree with @Warhippy if Yurov were to fall into our laps that would be something to seriously consider. 

Still think Owen Beck is the most underrated player in the draft and is without a doubt in my mind a top 15 player. Details they F'n matter. He does all the little things I love to see Pk's, Fore checks, back checks, wins FO's, every time I watch the steel heads I see a kid competing hard always there facilitating the play positively. With enough skill to be a very good 2c/3c in the league. The kind you win cups with. Coaches will really like him. 

Ty Nelson is a beast not concerned about his size at all he's a brick $&!#house. He's unequivocally passed Casey for me as far as point producing PMD's go. Boy can he blast it too.

Tiny calves.

Ginger hair.

Freckles.

Can't even see his feet.

2/10 do not want.

:bigblush:

Edited by Warhippy
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, hammertime said:

Well, I don't mean to be a hater but I just felt the need to take the corrective extreme after many people were so drastically over-hyping Kemell early in the season.

I use party horns, not pom poms. But mainly my excitement with Miro came at the start of the season when Bob's list had him number two, after a year of fans on HF talking about a big three of Wright, Savoie, Lambert, while I was saying Miro was number two the whole time. His brief hot streak late in the season was actually not affirming but complicating. For a couple months prior I was considering dropping him down a few spots, but at the time just didn't see anyone else I felt worthy of replacing him for that spot. The goal streak just gave me the excuse to leave him at number two. Still lots of time to watch other players and decide if someone should pass him, but now Miro's season is over, and that 4 game stint wasn't enough to lock him in. Right now, I'd say there's a pretty good chance Yurov and Slafkovsky will both pass Miro on my final list. Possibly others as well.

I was quite high on Lambert yes, but it was a very timid high. I explained it in this post here, https://forum.canucks.com/topic/397867-2022-nhl-entry-draft/?do=findComment&comment=15969346

And he has not righted the ship at all. In fact he jumped ship, giving up on JYP and hoping a change in teams would solve his problems, but it has only made things worse. Too many red flags for an 18 year old in his second pro season.

I think I would be wary of drafting any Russians given the current climate. The Russian government might not be favorable to them coming to NA when the time comes. 

Ivan Miroshnichenko and Danila Yurov could drop in this draft.

Edited by Bure_Pavel

10 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I think I would be wary of drafting any Russians given the current climate. The Russian government might not be favorable to them coming to NA when the time comes. 

Ivan Miroshnichenko and Danila Yurov could drop in this draft.

Hell, they could be drafted and never play hockey again! 

Alright so I know this is the 2022 draft thread and it's still way too early for talk of the 2023 draft, but figured I'd do a bit of a preview of the 2023 draft class. I only included players I've seen play at least one game.

1. Connor Bedard C WHL Regina - I'll just come right out and say it: I think both of the top two are generational prospects. Bedard's greatest strengths are hockey IQ, explosiveness, and his shot. Parts Teemu Selanne and Joe Sakic the way he can at times explode into and other times seem to suddenly materialize in scoring areas just as the puck is arriving there.
2. Matvei Michkov RW SKA St. Petersburg - The human highlight-reel. Greatest strengths are quickness, skating agility and deceptiveness. But his shooting, passing, speed, IQ are all elite.
3. Leo Carlsson C SHL Orebro - Another December birthday, he's a hulking center with an impressive skillset who can operate at high levels in limited space-time. Already looks physically strong at the SHL level. Currently sits 2nd in SuperElit this year in p/g by a U18, only behind Liam Ohgren. Also 2nd in SHL p/g by a U18, only behind Lekkerimaki.
4. Adam Fantilli C USHL Chicago - Not the most astonishing numbers, but this kid is just a real piece of work. Meat and potatoes power forward with major skill and bite. I honestly thought he was clearly Canada's best player at YOGs over Savoie.
5. Dalibor Dvorsky C AllSvenskan AIK - Goal-scoring center with lightning-quick hands; uses his teammates well, knows how to find openings and doesn't need much of one to score. Looked absolutely sensational at Hlinkas. 3-5 in this draft could legitimately all be in contention for 1st overall in most drafts.
6. Lukas Dragicevic RD WHL Tri-City - Highly skilled 6'2 offensive defenseman.
7. Charlie Stramel C USNTDP U18s - Another late birthday '04. Big power center with skill.
8. Will Smith C USNTDP U17s - Highly skilled 6'0 center already playing up with the U18 club a fair amount and not looking at all out of place.
9. Quentin Musty LW OHL Sudbury - Power winger can skate and shoot with the best of them.
10. Mikhail Gulyayev LD MHL Omskie - Smooth skating 5'10 defenseman has been quarterbacking the powerplay for Russia's '04s as an under-ager at international tournaments. Currently putting up the all-time best p/g in MHL by a U17 defenseman ever, by a wide margin.

Honorable mentions:

Matthew Wood F - I have yet to see him play so didn't include him in my top 10, but going by the stats he should be easily in the top 10. At 16 he is putting up similar numbers in the BCHL to what Turris, Jost, Kent Johnson did at 17, plus he's 6'3.

Braden Yager and Calum Ritchie - A couple more highly skilled centers with NHL frames. The fact that these guys didn't make the cut for my top 10 shows what a legendary draft class it is shaping up to be.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

Alright so I know this is the 2022 draft thread and it's still way too early for talk of the 2023 draft, but figured I'd do a bit of a preview of the 2023 draft class. I only included players I've seen play at least one game.

1. Connor Bedard C WHL Regina - I'll just come right out and say it: I think both of the top two are generational prospects. Bedard's greatest strengths are hockey IQ, explosiveness, and his shot. Parts Teemu Selanne and Joe Sakic the way he can at times explode into and other times seem to suddenly materialize in scoring areas just as the puck is arriving there.
2. Matvei Michkov RW SKA St. Petersburg - The human highlight-reel. Greatest strengths are quickness, skating agility and deceptiveness. But his shooting, passing, speed, IQ are all elite.
3. Leo Carlsson C SHL Orebro - Another December birthday, he's a hulking center with an impressive skillset who can operate at high levels in limited space-time. Already looks physically strong at the SHL level. Currently sits 2nd in SuperElit this year in p/g by a U18, only behind Liam Ohgren. Also 2nd in SHL p/g by a U18, only behind Lekkerimaki.
4. Adam Fantilli C USHL Chicago - Not the most astonishing numbers, but this kid is just a real piece of work. Meat and potatoes power forward with major skill and bite. I honestly thought he was clearly Canada's best player at YOGs over Savoie.
5. Dalibor Dvorsky C AllSvenskan AIK - Goal-scoring center with lightning-quick hands; uses his teammates well, knows how to find openings and doesn't need much of one to score. Looked absolutely sensational at Hlinkas. 3-5 in this draft could legitimately all be in contention for 1st overall in most drafts.
6. Lukas Dragicevic RD WHL Tri-City - Highly skilled 6'2 offensive defenseman.
7. Charlie Stramel C USNTDP U18s - Another late birthday '04. Big power center with skill.
8. Will Smith C USNTDP U17s - Highly skilled 6'0 center already playing up with the U18 club a fair amount and not looking at all out of place.
9. Quentin Musty LW OHL Sudbury - Power winger can skate and shoot with the best of them.
10. Mikhail Gulyayev LD MHL Omskie - Smooth skating 5'10 defenseman has been quarterbacking the powerplay for Russia's '04s as an under-ager at international tournaments. Currently putting up the all-time best p/g in MHL by a U17 defenseman ever, by a wide margin.

Honorable mentions:

Matthew Wood F - I have yet to see him play so didn't include him in my top 10, but going by the stats he should be easily in the top 10. At 16 he is putting up similar numbers in the BCHL to what Turris, Jost, Kent Johnson did at 17, plus he's 6'3.

Braden Yager and Calum Ritchie - A couple more highly skilled centers with NHL frames. The fact that these guys didn't make the cut for my top 10 shows what a legendary draft class it is shaping up to be.

Michkov is a Russian Sidney Crosby