The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2022-23 salary cap, Boeser and value of our 2nd line player?

Rate this topic

grouse747

4 minutes ago, IBatch said:

I agree with this to a degree.   One thing that we should all be counting on at this point is JB has his own script, none of us our privy to it - and he's following it.   Made some risky plays this off season.   Not the first time and it won't be the last.    Miller is a solid player for us and also is a nucleus for helping EP and the team move forward as a vet.    Easy to like this guy, his bubble starting lineup video was something else.    Pearson will get traded first.  It will  help pay for these guys.   That's the script at least - but like i said - JB doesn't follow the script we have.   Why i'm not so sure. 

I don't think Pearson has NT clause next season and 2022 season 10 team list? 

Pearson is okay depth guy, sure hope Horvat is free of Pearson..

2. Hoglander -- Horvat -- Garland ---(  Podkolzin  swithches with Hoglander against big heavy teams..

3. Pearson  - Dickinson -- Podkolzin ---- ( Hoglander ))

4 hours ago, Provost said:

I don’t think it is panic time at all, but it is not like we have a ton of cap space moving forward to add pieces.

Boeser next offseason, Bo/Miller/Hoglander the year after; Podkolzin and probably one/both of Petterson and Hughes coming off a bridge deal the year after.

I head mentioned a while back that this is the team we are going to have for a few years.  No significant help coming and no significant cap space to add players.  It would be swapping guys out to being different guys in.

That isn’t a terrible thing… we now have the core pieces and some (hopefully) decent supplementary guys.  If we are a playoff team next season with this group we can reasonably expect a little more internal development and maybe push towards being an actual contender in a while.  Of course the reverse is also true, if none of these moves pan out and/or current players don’t continue to improve we will be in for a full rebuild in 2-3 years.

I am content to let it play out and see.  My only wish is that we made some of these moves last offseason.  Benning said he wasn’t willing to trade this year’s 1st round pick to shed salary then… but he did anyways this year.  If we had have bitten the bullet and exited some of that cap last offseason we maybe could have kept a guy like Toffoli and built on the momentum we had in the bubble.  We were kind of the talk of the league and other players might have signed with us for a discount to be part of an up and coming team.

Ownership might of had something to do with that last season?Covid spending ect... Taffoli got signed 2nd day of free agency..

1 hour ago, playboi19 said:

Some were panicking thinking that Gaudette would play the final year of College and not sign with the Canucks.

He did sign and gave the entire team Covid. Be careful what you wish for folks.

Well played Playboi :lol:

39 minutes ago, IBatch said:

I agree with this to a degree.   One thing that we should all be counting on at this point is JB has his own script, none of us our privy to it - and he's following it.   Made some risky plays this off season.   Not the first time and it won't be the last.    Miller is a solid player for us and also is a nucleus for helping EP and the team move forward as a vet.    Easy to like this guy, his bubble starting lineup video was something else.    Pearson will get traded first.  It will  help pay for these guys.   That's the script at least - but like i said - JB doesn't follow the script we have.   Why i'm not so sure. 

Have to say that I'm happy he is reacting to the less than impressive season, we just had. 

I'm fairly sure JB was contend to sit tight until next off season, but the fact Arizona suddenly wanted to play ball, kind of just play into Bennings hand. 

It will also have. Strengthened his position, when it comes to signing EP and QH.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

49 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Have to say that I'm happy he is reacting to the less than impressive season, we just had. 

I'm fairly sure JB was contend to sit tight until next off season, but the fact Arizona suddenly wanted to play ball, kind of just play into Bennings hand. 

It will also have. Strengthened his position, when it comes to signing EP and QH.

It for sure did all of that.  It's miraculous in a way.  I'm not in shock anymore.   I'm not 100% sold either.   But do recognize what he did wasn't supposed to be possible either.    It strengthens his position for everyone on the team showing he's ready to win.  And of course he opened up the cap for them too.    Garland is a big if.   Big as in is he the next Martin St. Louis or LE lite.   OEL to a lesser degree not too worried about that, but still risk as far as both of these guys go.   For better or worse he's locked us in.   

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

15 for the pair ... would you do that?   And where is the money coming from anyways ... our fourth line is Motte Sutter/Gadj/McEwen/Dickinson.    He's spent his fourth line money already.   Third line?  Well personally it would be Hogs/Gadj  Miller Podz for me.    We can't make Pearson cheaper then league  min.   And he's staying with Horvat pretty sure of that.   Maybe Pearson can given us 2 at most.   Where are the raises for other guys going to come from?  Hogs will need one too.   And Podz the year after.     There is for sure a reason why this is a topic.   And more then anything, where is the money to bolster our D coming from?  

That's a lot of apprehension about this.......I hear what you're saying but one step at a time.  I just think talk of trading Miller is premature.  It may come down to that being the best decision but if he plays like he can, it would be a terrible decision.  You pay him market value and target other players instead through trades, cuts, etc.  

But to answer your first question, yes, I would sign Boeser and Miller to 15 if they are playing like a legitimate top 3 duo.......I would be hesitant to do so for a long-tern contract though.

3 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

Of the current forward group I think Pearson will be the first large contract moved (not Miller or Boeser) in order to create cap space and provide space for young talent.

Motte may or may not be resigned depending on his ask next off season.

If a UFA upgrade on the RHD is available then Hamonic or Myers may also be moved.

Hope Motte keeps playing like a dog on a bone and we re-sign him.  Speed and hard on the forecheck is playoff hockey.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

4 hours ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

Hope Motte keeps playing like a dog on a bone and we re-sign him.  Speed and hard on the forecheck is playoff hockey.

100% true. Motte is a warrior. I love his game. I guess the only things will be "can we still afford him" and "can he stay healthy playing that way"?

10 hours ago, IBatch said:

If we had "bitten the bullet" last off season, the cost for OEL would have been significantly higher. 

So you position is that it is good we didn’t clear cap last year because Benning couldn’t be trusted to not do something stupid with the extra space?

That is such a ringing endorsement!

You do know that we didn’t “have to” trade for OEL… Benning is allowed to say no to deals he doesn’t like.

7 hours ago, IBatch said:

It for sure did all of that.  It's miraculous in a way.  I'm not in shock anymore.   I'm not 100% sold either.   But do recognize what he did wasn't supposed to be possible either.    It strengthens his position for everyone on the team showing he's ready to win.  And of course he opened up the cap for them too.    Garland is a big if.   Big as in is he the next Martin St. Louis or LE lite.   OEL to a lesser degree not too worried about that, but still risk as far as both of these guys go.   For better or worse he's locked us in.   

Yep, he sure has. 

Its make or break time. If this goes pear shaped, Benning and and his coaching staff will be history, and rightfully so. This is his team now, and while I do like the look of it, lets see it produce the one place it matters...on the ice.

Honestly, I think they will succeed, but regardless I'm just happy that we have a team, that, on paper, looks ready to compete, as I'm sick and tired of losing....

• Vintage 1

4 hours ago, spook007 said:

Yep, he sure has. 

Its make or break time. If this goes pear shaped, Benning and and his coaching staff will be history, and rightfully so. This is his team now, and while I do like the look of it, lets see it produce the one place it matters...on the ice.

Honestly, I think they will succeed, but regardless I'm just happy that we have a team, that, on paper, looks ready to compete, as I'm sick and tired of losing....

Amen to that.  This team will be ready to go and get some retribution/redemption.    On paper, our top 11 is all decent-excellent  for their roles...haven't seen that, in well hardly ever.   Has the potential to be one of or even the best ever.   D should be fine - serviceable to very good depending on OEL, OJ, QHs and Rathbone.   Goaltending - Demko (enough said lol).    Strength down the middle and goaltending are two things that can win cups... 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Provost said:

So you position is that it is good we didn’t clear cap last year because Benning couldn’t be trusted to not do something stupid with the extra space?

That is such a ringing endorsement!

You do know that we didn’t “have to” trade for OEL… Benning is allowed to say no to deals he doesn’t like.

Lol of course and that's what he did.  My position is the cost to clear cap like he did this year, with a year left on everyone's deals, would have been enormous - in response to your post "wishing he did it a year ago".... guess i should have been clearer about that.   And of course i know he didn't have to.   I wanted to wait and let the cap shed naturally, keep adding to our pool in the meantime, and possibly re-set with a Miller trade following the same path COL did in a way.    Never thought he'd clear 12 million in space, during flat cap, at such a low cost.   Didn't seem possible really.  Happy he did, it extends the window, it might never get wide enough now but at least it's open right now and not one or two year's  later.    Seems like more reps a team gets in the playoffs, the better chance of winning a cup.  Can't think of any team that was bad and then just won first crack or two.   I'm also super curious if this team has the same "bubble" magic - think it does.   

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

10 hours ago, spook007 said:

Yep, he sure has. 

The funny (but true) thing you write is that you think this team will succeed, but if they don't, JB and coaches will be history.  Is it the GM's fault if the moves don't work out when at the time of the transaction the move seemed successful?  It shouldn't be.  We should not blame the GM but the players and coaches......that is, if we deem OEL's contract to be not unreasonable at this point.  This is, of course, not what happens in the business, but sometimes I feel like organizations spin their wheels by changing staff vs growing with them.

• Vintage 1

6 hours ago, IBatch said:

Amen to that.  This team will be ready to go and get some retribution/redemption.    On paper, our top 11 is all decent-excellent  for their roles...haven't seen that, in well hardly ever.   Has the potential to be one of or even the best ever.   D should be fine - serviceable to very good depending on OEL, OJ, QHs and Rathbone.   Goaltending - Demko (enough said lol).    Strength down the middle and goaltending are two things that can win cups... 

Does this team have enough bite, forechecking and toughness to win in the playoffs?  Burr, Kes, Torres, Hansen, Lapierre players are what made the Canucks a playoff team vs a very good regular season team in that era.

21 hours ago, IBatch said:

Bubble Starting Lineup, Millzy pumps up team Clip:

https://twitter.com/Canucks/status/1292167172639186944?s=20

Edited by playboi19

2 hours ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

The funny (but true) thing you write is that you think this team will succeed, but if they don't, JB and coaches will be history.  Is it the GM's fault if the moves don't work out when at the time of the transaction the move seemed successful?  It shouldn't be.  We should not blame the GM but the players and coaches......that is, if we deem OEL's contract to be not unreasonable at this point.  This is, of course, not what happens in the business, but sometimes I feel like organizations spin their wheels by changing staff vs growing with them.

i agree to a certain extend...

Of course the coaches are the ones that runs the team, but after giving the coaches contract extensions, Benning has shown, he is confident with them, and as such he lives and dies with them. Benning has already been allowed to sack 1 coach. I doubt he would be allowed the luxury of doing it again.

Owners would want to see results now, and rightfully so. Especially after allowing Benning to buy out players and take on the OEL contract. if this team wasn't considered playoffs ready, it wouldn't make sense not to wait until next year and just let the contracts expire naturally... or at least that is how i see it...