The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2022-23 salary cap, Boeser and value of our 2nd line player?

Rate this topic

grouse747

I have seen vastly different analysis of the Canucks salary cap situation for 2022-23. and the differences were not accounted for by EP/QH assumed salaries.

I have seen a knowledge poster on here say it'll be very tight to sign Brock Boeser next summer. and even that sounded optimistic to me. just no $$$$ room for BB renewal.

but I see a couple of salary cap websites, showing Canucks with $10M+ cap room after resigning EP/QH.

in particular, sportrac.com shows $26.8 million cap space PRE EP/QH contracts... I'd assume $15-16M for those two..... so that leaves $11-12M = not much, but enough to resign BB and do some little things.

which is correct?

have a lead-in question to my next subject:

are there restrictions on teams constantly trading away 1st round picks? like, must use your own 1st round pick at least once over every 2 year period?.... can you draft and then trade quickly? seems like circumvention of any rule that might exist............. i think this rule, if it still exists, was based on "Rick Martin from Buffalo to Los Angeles" trade way back when.

if there are restrictions on trading 1st round picks constantly, then I'd presume we may have to trade a player of "modest net positive value" to clear cap space.

what do posters think is the "net value" of 1) Tyler Myers and 2) JT Miller....... those seem like the two players that might have value. very curious in JT's case. value might be very high. 20th pick overall?........... I don't see another player that would 1) clear cap space, 2) have net positive value, AND 3) not being painful for the canucks to lose. I put boeser, horvat, garland way above miller but that may be a unique personal opinion I realize.

thanks in advance :)

Eventually the team will likely move away from Myers and Miller unless they are willing to take team friendly deals and there will be enough cap as long as they dont give out stupid contracts. Benning did good not throwing big money at free agents this year other than Poolman which is only 2.5 mil per (not the end of world). OEL is the only other contract on the team that could end up in dead cap space down the line.  

Boeser is also a first line talent capable of scoring 35-40 goals. I dont think we have seen his best yet, we are spoiled with young talent like Petey and Hughes. I feel like Boeser is sometimes overlooked now, but he has been killing it since before they were around. 

Edited by Bure_Pavel

13 minutes ago, Alflives said:

After we celebrate a Cup parade down Georgia in June 2022, we will care very little about Boeser’s next contract.  

#Leafs are Losers!  

Alf is the biggest fan(atic) on here. He loves his team and hates all others.  That is old school and the true meaning of the word fan.  I love his posts!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

3 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

Alf is the biggest fan(atic) on here. He loves his team and hates all others.  That is old school and the true meaning of the word fan.  I love his posts!

Thanks DW.  Hate ‘em all, but I do have a soft spot for my friends in the referee fraternity.  

image.jpeg.0f6914f9ef92294d1a2a68103f3926d3.jpeg

• Haha 1

I don't understand the concern with 2022/23.  We have 33 million in cap if the cap goes up by the forecasted million.  Let's say 24 of that goes to EP/QH/BB.  That leave 9 mil to sign 3 x4th liners, Re up Rathbone, Joulevi, and probably pencil Di Pietro into the backup role.  That's a pretty manageable situation.  

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, BCNate said:

I don't understand the concern with 2022/23.  We have 33 million in cap if the cap goes up by the forecasted million.  Let's say 24 of that goes to EP/QH/BB.  That leave 9 mil to sign 3 x4th liners, Re up Rathbone, Joulevi, and probably pencil Di Pietro into the backup role.  That's a pretty manageable situation.  

Don't worry about re signing Juolevi. His current salary is alow as it can go, he ain't expecting  raise

Not concerned at all.  BB will be resigned.

BB current cap hit is $5.875.  His QO will be $7.5 (cuz he's grandfathered under the old QO terms).  Predicting he is a 30+ goal scorer, I'm guessing his range will be $7.5-8.5.  If however, he performs above expectations (say 40+ goals), then it might creep up to $9.

So let's just say it's $8.5M.  That's a difference of $2.625M from his current cap.

Right now we have wasted cap space from the buyouts and Luongo recapture penalty for about $3.5M.  However next year the buyout penalty is $2.4M.  So that's $1M right there that can go to BB.  Also the cap supposedly goes up next year by $1M.  So we just need to find $0.625M from the roster.  Bring up DiPietro and let go Halak next year and we just make it under the cap.

The real tough one will be the 2023-24 season when Miller and Bo contracts are up.  Most likely will have to let Miller go in order to pay Bo.

53 minutes ago, BPA said:

BB current cap hit is $5.875.  His QO will be $7.5 (cuz he's grandfathered under the old QO terms).  Predicting he is a 30+ goal scorer, I'm guessing his range will be $7.5-8.5.  If however, he performs above expectations (say 40+ goals), then it might creep up to $9.

So let's just say it's $8.5M.  That's a difference of $2.625M from his current cap.

Right now we have wasted cap space from the buyouts and Luongo recapture penalty for about $3.5M.  However next year the buyout penalty is $2.4M.  So that's $1M right there that can go to BB.  Also the cap supposedly goes up next year by $1M.  So we just need to find $0.625M from the roster.  Bring up DiPietro and let go Halak next year and we just make it under the cap.

The real tough one will be the 2023-24 season when Miller and Bo contracts are up.  Most likely will have to let Miller go in order to pay Bo.

That’s probably the year Miller gets traded at the deadline for a 1st

My guess is that the Canucks will entertain moving 1-2 of the following:

-Boeser or Miller 
-Hughes

For a legitimate top pairing shut down RD

IF, 1-2 of the following take leaps in their games and can fill the roles of the departed:

-Rathbone

-Podkolzin

-Klimovich

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, grouse747 said:

I have seen vastly different analysis of the Canucks salary cap situation for 2022-23. and the differences were not accounted for by EP/QH assumed salaries.

I have seen a knowledge poster on here say it'll be very tight to sign Brock Boeser next summer. and even that sounded optimistic to me. just no $$$$ room for BB renewal.

but I see a couple of salary cap websites, showing Canucks with $10M+ cap room after resigning EP/QH.

in particular, sportrac.com shows $26.8 million cap space PRE EP/QH contracts... I'd assume $15-16M for those two..... so that leaves $11-12M = not much, but enough to resign BB and do some little things.

which is correct?

are there restrictions on teams constantly trading away 1st round picks? like, must use your own 1st round pick at least once over every 2 year period?.... can you draft and then trade quickly? seems like circumvention of any rule that might exist............. i think this rule, if it still exists, was based on "Rick Martin from Buffalo to Los Angeles" trade way back when.

if there are restrictions on trading 1st round picks constantly, then I'd presume we may have to trade a player of "modest net positive value" to clear cap space.

what do posters think is the "net value" of 1) Tyler Myers and 2) JT Miller....... those seem like the two players that might have value. very curious in JT's case. value might be very high. 20th pick overall?........... I don't see another player that would 1) clear cap space, 2) have net positive value, AND 3) not being painful for the canucks to lose. I put boeser, horvat, garland way above miller but that may be a unique personal opinion I realize.

We'll have about 16 million...ish, next season, after signing Hughes and Pettersson this summer. Figure about 7 - 7.5 million per for Boeser, depending on how strong his season is.

1 hour ago, BPA said:

Or some of our d develope and we trade Myers. 

7 hours ago, grouse747 said:

which is correct?

I'm open to trading Tyler Myers and J.T. Miller next off-season in order to create great cap flexibility and room for prospects and potential other UFAs. 

I'd confidently ask for a 2nd round pick and 3rd round pick for Myers. And for Miller ask for a veteran top nine forward in the 30-33 year old range that averages 30-40 points and plays a style like Millers, plus a C+ prospect and a 1st round pick. These are two players that would give us the most amount of cap relief without losing a young elite forward like Boeser and also being able to retain key, character, effort-filled bottom nine guys like Sutter, Motte, HIghmore, MacEwen. Horvat will also be one year away from UFA status at that point and Hoglander will be one year away from RFA status at that point. 

5 hours ago, DeltaSwede said:

Myers has to go. Can't be paying a guy 6 million to not play in the top 4. Also much rather the team rid themselves of him over JT. 

Would clear up room for Bo and JT down the line. 

Hamonic and Hoglander come due same time as Miller and Horvat.  Hamonic likely will be a flat renewal, but if Hoagie maintains his rookie progression I can see him wanting Garland type numbers

5 hours ago, DeltaSwede said:

Myers has to go. Can't be paying a guy 6 million to not play in the top 4. Also much rather the team rid themselves of him over JT. 

He's overpaid by about 2 million, but if we lose him then our defense goes from passable to baby-soft.  Myers gives us size, the stickwork and just an unpleasant d-man for the other team to play against.  

We'll have to sit down every other d-man not named Schenn and show them tapes of Chris Pronger.

9 hours ago, grouse747 said:

which is correct?

You can't go wrong with capfriendly.com  ....  the only thing you have to watch out for is the status of some players as they might be shown to be on IR (injured reserve) or LTIR (long term injury reserve).  IR counts against the cap, while LTIR doesn't.  

9 hours ago, grouse747 said:

No rules on trading your picks away.  The league can void any trade and contract if it doesn't like the way it's worded or if it's fishy, but they won't tell a team how to build their roster, etc.  

1) Tyler Myers is worth a 2nd round pick due to his contract.  If he had a better contract he would definitely fetch a late 1st from some contender. We kind of take him for granted, but he would be an excellent number 4 d-man on a team that plays good team defense.  Better version of Ben Chiarot.  

2) JT Miller would be worth a late 1st round pick if he is to have another strong year.  Maybe a 2nd round pick and a good prospect.  

Anyways in general I wouldn't worry too much about next year's cap.  Let the worriers take care of that, there's enough of them on Canucks' social media lol 

Unfortunately injuries are part of the game and someone going on LTIR could give us plenty of room (hope it's not true).  You just never know what will happen in the next year and we're not in some cap purgatory.  At worst we'll have to be thrifty when it comes to our 4th line, but at best we'll have some youngsters step up and prove that they're ready for a bigger role.  Imagine having 5 wingers and 3 centers that are top 6 quality, meaning that you have to play two of those guys on the third line...  now you are able to deal from a position of strength and get some assets in return for shedding a forward with significant salary.  

6 hours ago, DeltaSwede said:

Myers had the 2nd highest toi on the team, 30 seconds(ish) lower than Hughes.  How is he not playing top 4 mins?

• Cheers 3