The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why we should turf the "dump and chase" style and focus on controlled entries

Rate this topic

Googlie

8 hours ago, UKNuck96 said:

Dump and chase necessitates the chase aspect of it, just chucking it in deep is pointless, it’s about applying pressure. 

if you want more controlled high speed entries get wider rinks, you want tight ice and trap play on the current size 

I get why they do it, but no matter what masterplan one has, if you do it over and over, the other teams seem to figure it out and adapt.  Variety is the spice of life and the route to victory.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/21/2021 at 5:21 PM, oldnews said:

yawn.  be childish about it if you must - ie 'sorry if I offended you'....

those are the board rules.

not to post links or syphon traffic to other sites.

simple

just make the effort to post the content.

You're being a dick for no reason. The guy is providing content during an offseason and adding something to the boards. 

Why the hostility? Especially against a poster who is extremely educated in hockey and adds a lot to these forums? Somebody piss in your cereal this morning? 

20 hours ago, Googlie said:

No-one refused to dump and chase as much as the fab five ......

Exactly the team the 2011 Canucks were modelled after, and rightly so. The Sedins continue to be one of the best zone entry guys I've ever watched and that's why the team always killed other teams in possession stats. Even with all of those great forecheckers we had in 2011, we still had amazing zone entries (I'm guessing a large factor also being just how fast we were as a team through the neutral zone as well helped). 

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, MattJVD said:

Dump and chase is fine when we have some speedy forcheckers making life hard for the opposition. What we saw far too often the last few years has been 'dump and not chase'. Just handing the puck to the other team's D, then trying to defend again. 

Gotta change lines so you don't get too tired for when you spend the next 2 minutes in your own end the next shift! 

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, Googlie said:

No-one refused to dump and chase as much as the fab five ......

Thanks for contributing this to the discussion, never saw them play as a unit but that's some slick passing.

Given the makeup and talent of the forward group I think that style should be shelved for awhile, at least for the top 9 (the 4th line has the type of muckers e.g. Sutter, Highmore, MacEwen) for whom it could work, but Motte could be a one-man breakout and controlled entry.  It also made sense for the bottom-6 given the cast of players we were running out there (Roussel, Sutter, Beagle, and the aforementioned energy guys).

In the top-9 though, no way we don't focus on carrying the puck.  Bo, Miller and Podkolzin are beasts in that regard, while Petey/ Garland/ Hoglander can finesse their way in (and Boeser's good at joining the rush to get the puck before making the correct passes; Pearson is also versatile and can join the offense, while I won't comment on Dickinson as I haven't seen him much).  Then again the team has plays like the last goal in its playbook:
https://www.nhl.com/news/vancouver-canucks-st-louis-blues-game-1-recap/c-318383274

Also tic-tac-toe bang-bang plays seem to be regular methods of attack

While both goals are on the PP, I'd be surprised if they don't adopt some of those to even strength.

• Cheers 1

Our dump and chase is a bit different than other teams. It’s dump it in but then chase the play back  to our own end. 

it’s been an effective system at getting high draft picks.especially combined with out defensive system of watch the puck. 

To this point we haven’t had the right players to retrieve pucks as a small soft  non physical team.