The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Based on previous years, it’s a fair bet this signals he’s Abby bound, unless they’ve seen enough to say he’s already made the NHL team, and just want to get a final look at the others.

I think the best possible NHL roster includes Lockwood, but it may come down to waiver risk, especially after Gadjovich getting claimed.

If I'm not mistaken, then Lockwood is still waiver exempt, no?

Lockwood was my dark horse to make the team before camp began.  Been good to see him really push for a spot but it's always hard for rookies to supplant veterans, even new ones.  My guess is the team will want to see him hone his game in the AHL which might also include developing his offensive game, though that might not be as important for him.

On 10/7/2021 at 7:49 AM, NUCKER67 said:

Just took a quick look, interesting.

Benning's had 49 draft picks and only 6 are regular NHL players.

McCann, Demko, Boeser, Pettersson, Hughes and Hoglander

Doesn't mean a whole lot unless there are numbers for the other 31 GMs.

3 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

If I'm not mistaken, then Lockwood is still waiver exempt, no?

Lockwood was my dark horse to make the team before camp began.  Been good to see him really push for a spot but it's always hard for rookies to supplant veterans, even new ones.  My guess is the team will want to see him hone his game in the AHL which might also include developing his offensive game, though that might not be as important for him.

Yeah, Lockwood is waiver exempt, which may be what sends him to Abbotsford, instead of one of the guys who requires waivers.

I think if he was waiver eligible, they wouldn’t risk a claim, especially after how he’s performed this year.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Cheers 2

13 minutes ago, greenbean30 said:

Yep, I definitely agree. I really like Rathbone, but I don't think he should be in the NHL yet and don't feel like he is what we need.

Our team is going to get destroyed defensively having 2 guys who still have a lot to learn on the defensive side of the puck in Hughes and Rathbone.

Juolevi is definitely the better player than RB in the defensive zone, which I feel is what this team needs.

I also really dislike the lines he is running. I feel like instead of having 2 really good first 2 lines, we are going to have an ok first line and 2 3rd lines. Maybe I'm not seeing something, but I don't think the Miller at 3rd line center experiment has gone all that well. Don't agree with splitting up Miller, Petey and Boes.

Boeser takes Chiassons spot.  Where else is there room to slot Miller and Pod in the top 6?  Nowhere.  We have 8 top 6 forwards we have unbelievable depth in top 6 forwards this year.  When we get hit with injuries we’re not gonna lose offence because of this unbelievable depth.  With these lines instead of having two shutdown lines that are liable to just getting shelled, we have a good first and second line, and probably the best 3rd line in the league and a top 5 4th line.  Look at our 5 on 5 play last night.  Our first 3 lines all had really good possession numbers, with only the players who are not making the team having bad possession numbers.  The second thing is if we’re gonna put a good player on the third line it’s gonna be Miller.  He’s our best play driving forward and creates a ton of offence himself.  He and pod had really good chemistry as well last night and both felt like they can create their own offence with a subpar 3rd guy on their line.  This is definitely my favourite line combinations so far besides maybe having a guy like Gadj or Bailey rather than Petan on the left wing of the third line but that ship has sailed.

If we’re behind in a game we can mix the lines up to stack our top two lines.

Edited by Rindiculous

Its actually wild how good our lineup is this year wtf. 

Boeser-Petey-Garland
Pearson-Horvat-Hoglander
Petan-Miller-Podkolzin
Chiasson-Dickinson-Di Giusseppe
(Motte and Sutter injured)
Also had no idea Petan, Chiasson, and Di Giuseppe would play so good. Imagine trying to defend against 3 serious scoring lines lmao. 

Hughes-Hamonic
OEL-Poolman
Myers-Schenn
*Rathbone, Juolevi

Unreal. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Rindiculous said:

Boeser takes Chiassons spot.  Where else is there room to slot Miller and Pod in the top 6?  Nowhere.  We have 8 top 6 forwards we have unbelievable depth in top 6 forwards this year.  When we get hit with injuries we’re not gonna lose offence because of this unbelievable depth.  With these lines instead of having two shutdown lines that are liable to just getting shelled, we have a good first and second line, and probably the best 3rd line in the league and a top 5 4th line.  Look at our 5 on 5 play last night.  Our first 3 lines all had really good possession numbers, with only the players who are not making the team having bad possession numbers.  The second thing is if we’re gonna put a good player on the third line it’s gonna be Miller.  He’s our best play driving forward and creates a ton of offence himself.  He and pod had really good chemistry as well last night and both felt like they can create their own offence with a subpar 3rd guy on their line.  This is definitely my favourite line combinations so far besides maybe having a guy like Gadj or Bailey rather than Petan on the left wing of the third line but that ship has sailed.

Pod isn't a top 6 forward at this point in time, he's a rookie who has shown he has some growing to do. He will definitely get there, but he isn't a top 6 yet and should be on the 3rd line.

Garland-Horvat-Hog makes a great 2nd line, Miller-Petey-Boes makes a great 1st line, and Pearson-Dickenson-Pod would be a really good 3rd line that can chip in goals and keep pucks out of the net. Which is exactly what you want out of a 3rd line.

I admit, Pod and Miller looked good last night, but that was really the first time they have so far in preseason. I don't feel it's worth splitting up Miller-Petey-Boes, they have always been very dangerous together and put up a lot of points.

My guess is Podkolzin just outright makes the team and they sign Chiasson to a 1-year contract.

With Motte and Sutter out, another guess is that Di Giuseppe and Petan take their spots.  MacEwen has been okay, but Bailey has been better IMO.

Assuming Hamonic returns, I'm liking this D

Hughes - Hamonic

Ekman-Larsson - Myers

Rathbone - Poolman

Burroughs/Schenn

6 minutes ago, greenbean30 said:

Pod isn't a top 6 forward at this point in time, he's a rookie who has shown he has some growing to do. He will definitely get there, but he isn't a top 6 yet and should be on the 3rd line.

Garland-Horvat-Hog makes a great 2nd line, Miller-Petey-Boes makes a great 1st line, and Pearson-Dickenson-Pod would be a really good 3rd line that can chip in goals and keep pucks out of the net. Which is exactly what you want out of a 3rd line.

I admit, Pod and Miller looked good last night, but that was really the first time they have so far in preseason. I don't feel it's worth splitting up Miller-Petey-Boes, they have always been very dangerous together and put up a lot of points.

There’ll definitely be a testing phase at the beginning of the season but I believe having Miller centre the third line rather than Dickenson opens up our lineup to better matchups because any of our top 3 lines can score on any given night and again if we need to we can stack the top 2 lines if we’re trailing.  I don’t like the fourth line look unless we anchor the centre position with Dickenson as well and Di Giuseppe looked good with Dickenson and I’d much rather have that duo on the fourth line as well because where do you slot Pearson and Podz then?

also it really sounds more and more like Sutter might not even be back this season so having Miller at centre helps with our depth down the middle the entire season.

Edited by Rindiculous

16 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

Boeser-Petey-Garland
Pearson-Horvat-Hoglander
Petan-Miller-Podkolzin
Also had no idea Petan, Chiasson, and Di Giuseppe would play so good. Imagine trying to defend against 3 serious scoring lines lmao. 

Hughes-Hamonic
OEL-Poolman
Myers-Schenn
*Rathbone, Juolevi

Unreal. 

That means the pressure is on Green, is it not?

• Vintage 1

Just now, NUCKER67 said:

Might be good to send MacEwen down, and at least sit him for the next couple against EDM. VAN should try to defuse that situation. They don't need targets on their backs as payback for the Kassian injury.. 

Any normal human being would understand that it was just a goof. But the Oilers are indeed goofs so you may be right there 

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Rindiculous said:

There’ll definitely be a testing phase at the beginning of the season but I believe having Miller centre the third line rather than Dickenson opens up our lineup to better matchups because any of our top 3 lines can score on any given night and again if we need to we can stack the top 2 lines if we’re trailing.  I don’t like the fourth line look unless we anchor the centre position with Dickenson as well and Di Giuseppe looked good with Dickenson and I’d much rather have that duo on the fourth line as well because where do you slot Pearson and Podz then?

also it really sounds more and more like Sutter might not even be back this season so having Miller at centre helps with our depth down the middle the entire season.

I do agree that we have a lot of options.

We could still load up our top 2 lines and leave Di Giuseppe and Dickenson down on the 4th together and run a 3rd line of Pearson-Petan-Podz.

Petan has looked decent this preseason and that line could still score and still defend, while leaving the 4th line with Dickenson and DG as a good defensive line that plays hard and creates havoc.

23 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

Boeser-Petey-Garland
Pearson-Horvat-Hoglander
Petan-Miller-Podkolzin

Hughes-Hamonic
OEL-Poolman
Myers-Schenn
*Rathbone, Juolevi

Unreal. 

I'm not sold.

It's significantly better than last year but it isn't unreal.

• Upvote 1