The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

9 minutes ago, stawns said:

Very similar to Petey, yes.  He's still young though, there's a good chance he'd grow into it.  

They could very well focus on kravstov instead and use the cap space to sign an experienced 3C.

That's the angle lots of us don't look at, it's going to create cap flexibility and if they move Boeser as well, they'll be players on July 1.

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I agree.  If you trade Miller then you have enough cap space to go after a UFA to fill a spot.  If we can't land  3C via a trade then we would have the option to get one in free agency.  And we could use the extra 1st round pick to draft one as well so that prospect would be ready by the time we are contenders.  The 3C we get in free agency fills the spot for now until a draft pick can take that spot.

I wonder if JR could convince Patrice Bergeron to come to Vancouver if Boston doesn't make the playoffs.  He would be a great 3C behind Petey and BO.  Not sure what he would command on the market as a 37 year old.  I could see Boston moving away from him if they are not a playoff team and want to use that cap space for a younger player.

Chytil is $2.3m. We target one of Paul/Tierney/Sturm this summer for around $3m and those two contracts are roughly what we're paying Miller now. Plus you get to subtract ~$800k from the bottom of the lineup for the extra player they replace.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I think they could go for both and also Tyler Motte and Luke Schenn, which would make them the Cup favourites.  Their prospect pool would be depleted though.  And Vancouver would most likely not get a 1st round pick out of the deal, as that is what Arizona would want.  I'd still do a Miller deal to NY Rangers without the 1st round pick as long we we got 3 top prospects in return.

Three top prospects: Schneider, Laff/Kakko, and ________? 

6 minutes ago, aGENT said:

If they surrender their first in a Chychrun deal, I'd be ok with Chytil, Schneider, Barron and one of their 2nds. 

I might even like that better TBH

Adding any Motte's, Schenn's, retention etc and we add from there.

The Rangers do have an extra 2nd round pick this year, so if they went after Chychrun and gave Arizona their 1st round pick then we could do something like this:

To NY Rangers:

JT Miller

Tyler Motte

Luke Schenn

To Vancouver:

Braden Schneider

Filip Chytil

Nils Lundkvist

2022 2nd round pick

Substitute Kravtsov or Barron for Chytil if the Rangers want to keep Chytil for their Cup run.  

1 hour ago, flickyoursedin said:

Still think it’s Colorado that becomes the most desperate for Miller and we retain 50% for a massive haul. They have two more season with Mackinnon before he gets a huge raise. Also Kadri in for a big raise after this season. This is their best chance this year for sure. Their management knows it and with Byram out of their he could be an ask or even Newhook. It would suck to lose one of those high profile prospects but it’s JT Miller for 2.6 million a year! That’s my dream get in a JT Miller trade.

Yeah. But we need to address our RHD hole, and that’s not happening with Colorado. 

With that being said. Whoever is offering the best package for Miller, is the team that he’s being sent to, in my books. 

The Rangers do have an extra 2nd round pick this year, so if they went after Chychrun and gave Arizona their 1st round pick then we could do something like this:

To NY Rangers:

JT Miller

Tyler Motte

Luke Schenn

To Vancouver:

Braden Schneider

Filip Chytil

Nils Lundkvist

2022 2nd round pick

Substitute Kravtsov or Barron for Chytil if the Rangers want to keep Chytil for their Cup run.  

I’d be okay with that deal. You get two RHD prospects, a young forward that’ll be on the roster, and a pick. I’d do that deal if the Rangers offered that. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

To NY Rangers:

JT Miller

Tyler Motte

Luke Schenn

To Vancouver:

Braden Schneider

Filip Chytil

Nils Lundkvist

2022 2nd round pick

Or what about 

Schneider, Laff, 2nd for Miller, Motte and Schenn? 

Just now, N4ZZY said:

Or what about 

I think the Rags stay hard pressed to trade Laff or Kakko. Especially when they're prospect pool is deep enough to utilize for these sort of trades without disrupting the NHL roster.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I think one of Lundkvist/Schneider goes to the Yotes for Chychrun. I would definitely target both guys though if neither of them were traded for Chychrun.

True.  At the end of the day if the Rangers want both Miller/Motte/Schenn and Chychrun then they will need to trade the following:

2022 1st round pick

2022 2nd round pick

Braden Schneider

Nils Lundkvist

Filip Chytil

Vitali Kravtsov

Morgan Barron

Who we get out of that is up in the air, but Schneider would have to be one piece that would be mandatory for us.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Or what about 

I don't think they will trade either Lafreniere or Kakko.  They will try and get Miller and/or Chychrun without having to give up either one.  Remember those two guys are their top 3 talents in the draft.  They won't be drafting in the top 3 anymore for awhile, so I think they keep those two players and build around them for the future.

12 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

To NY Rangers:

JT Miller

Tyler Motte

Luke Schenn

To Vancouver:

Braden Schneider

Filip Chytil

Nils Lundkvist

2022 2nd round pick

8 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I think one of Lundkvist/Schneider goes to the Yotes for Chychrun. I would definitely target both guys though if neither of them were traded for Chychrun.

I'd wager they get Lundqvist, Robertson and the first.

I'm happy with Chytil, Schneider, Barron and a 2nd.

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

I don't think they will trade either Lafreniere or Kakko.  They will try and get Miller and/or Chychrun without having to give up either one.  Remember those two guys are their top 3 talents in the draft.  They won't be drafting in the top 3 anymore for awhile, so I think they keep those two players and build around them for the future.

Good luck with that. I think that’s probably the ask, and maybe even the hold up. Gotta give to get, New York. 

Right. But New York’s gotta give up something. Miller’s a great player, entering his prime, on a great deal for the next 1.5 seasons. I’m assuming that NY will be in the playoffs the next two years, so they’re getting Miller at a discount. And what if we retain some salary? Would make him even more desirable. If I’m JR, I’m asking for Schneider first, Laff/Kakko as the second piece, and then a draft pick coming back. 

Either that, or your proposal is good for me as well. 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

True.  At the end of the day if the Rangers want both Miller/Motte/Schenn and Chychrun then they will need to trade the following:

2022 1st round pick

2022 2nd round pick

Braden Schneider

Nils Lundkvist

Filip Chytil

Vitali Kravtsov

Morgan Barron

Who we get out of that is up in the air, but Schneider would have to be one piece that would be mandatory for us.

I’m sure the Rangers would be joyfully offering Kravtsov - that guy has bust written all over him. 

1 minute ago, N4ZZY said:

Good luck with that. I think that’s probably the ask, and maybe even the hold up. Gotta give to get, New York. 

Right. But New York’s gotta give up something. Miller’s a great player, entering his prime, on a great deal for the next 1.5 seasons. I’m assuming that NY will be in the playoffs the next two years, so they’re getting Miller at a discount. And what if we retain some salary? Would make him even more desirable. If I’m JR, I’m asking for Schneider first, Laff/Kakko as the second piece, and then a draft pick coming back. 

Either that, or your proposal is good for me as well. 

If JR can get Schneider and one of Lafreniere or Kakko PLUS a 2nd round pick then he would have pulled off one hell of a deal...

• Like 2

If JR can get Schneider and one of Lafreniere or Kakko PLUS a 2nd round pick then he would have pulled off one hell of a deal...

It’s what I’m hoping JR can do. 

It really depends on how desperate the Rangers are, and the bidding war for Miller would be. 

I’m not surprised at all if JR is asking for the moon for Miller. 

Rumors are that there’s like a few teams, but it doesn’t sound like there’s a bidding war on him just yet. 

1 minute ago, N4ZZY said:

I’m sure the Rangers would be joyfully offering Kravtsov - that guy has bust written all over him. 

He's a boom or bust pick at this point.  Some have compared him to Alexei Kovalev.  Not sure if you remember Kovalev but in his prime he was similar to Alex Mogilny.  If we could get a guy like Alexei Kovalev you probably take that risk.

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

He's a boom or bust pick at this point.  Some have compared him to Alexei Kovalev.  Not sure if you remember Kovalev but in his prime he was similar to Alex Mogilny.  If we could get a guy like Alexei Kovalev you probably take that risk.

Yeah, but this potential trade of Miller is one of those trades that JR needs to hit a home run on. The team cannot afford to take a risk like that coming back and then he doesn’t turn out. Would be a huge lost opportunity given the chance. 

The question I have is why isn’t Kravtsov booming in NY? 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

2022 1st round pick

2022 2nd round pick

Braden Schneider

Nils Lundkvist

Filip Chytil

Vitali Kravtsov

Morgan Barron

They've got some other good prospects on top of that like Robertson, Othmann, Jones, Henriksson, Cuylle, among others. 

3 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

They've got some other good prospects on top of that like Robertson, Othmann, Jones, Henriksson, Cuylle, among others. 

I forgot about Othmann.  He's having a really good season.  I'm not as high on the others.  I could see Arizona going after Othmann, Lundkvist and a 1st round pick.

To be honest, when it comes to Arizona they are wide open.  They basically are collecting whatever they can get at any position, so they will simply take the best package available regardless of position.  Vancouver on the other hand needs to be more strategic and fill certain holes.  Schneider really is a must in any trade with the Rangers as he fills our biggest hole in the roster.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

A  13th overall pick (Coronato); dynamic scoring cough winger! Dude has speeeed...  Top defensive 6'4'' defensive prospect and a 1st?

The Calgary package is actually a good package.  

I agree that the Calgary package would be the most intriguing but all 3 pieces are far from a sure thing. Kuznetsov could become a top 4 but he could also be a #6-7. Coronato looked great in the USHL but I'm not sure he can dominate against grown men. Could be a top 6 nhl player or he could be a ahl all star. If thise 2 fizzle than your hopes of getting value becomes a 20ish overall pick. Not the best odds on that one.

If I'm trading Miller there has to be a young player coming back that is ready to play now. Otherwise we run the risk of having nothing to show.