The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] High-level execs from SEA, MIN, STL, FLA, CHI & TOR at Canucks' game today

Just now, Coconuts said:

Dunno, hard to say

But it's possible 

Boston's still competing as far as I know so I am not sure what they'd be willing to trade besides the guys they've scratched.

They could see what we see in Horvat/Miller being UFAs in 2023 and perhaps think that the Canucks might end up losing them in 2023 anyway so might as well call and see. Maybe be the early bird.

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Boston's still competing as far as I know so I am not sure what they'd be willing to trade besides the guys they've scratched.

They could see what we see in Horvat/Miller being UFAs in 2023 and perhaps think that the Canucks might end up losing them in 2023 anyway so might as well call and see. Maybe be the early bird.

I'd def be looking to move Miller, his value will never be higher 

I figure our odds of retaining Bo are better, but he'll need to see progress sooner than later

Edited by Coconuts

5 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I'd def be looking to move Miller, his value will never be higher 

I figure our odds of retaining Bo are better, but he'll need to see progress sooner than later

My goal would be to trade Miller this year and try to extend Horvat early pre-season 2022. If Horvat doesn't plan to re-sign then trade him that year. That doesn't account for others I would trade as well.

Of course after a GM change first and a new coaching staff is tried but IDK if new coaches can fix this team in time. The team makeup is wack and too many key guys are in super funks.

Edited by Junkyard Dog

5 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

My goal would be to trade Miller this year and try to extend Horvat early pre-season 2022. If Horvat doesn't plan to re-sign then trade him that year. That doesn't account for others I would trade as well.

Of course after a GM change first and a new coaching staff is tried but IDK if new coaches can fix this team in time. The team makeup is wack and too many key guys are in super funks.

Agreed on all fronts 

Losing them both would be disastrous, but it's absolutely possible 

We can't afford to lose either for nothing

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, PLOGUE said:

Sharks smelling blood in the water. Can't let Benning pull a panic trade. These are scary times folks.

Why scary times?  

One could blame Benning for not building a contender in his time here, but I would never think that Benning would pull a panic trade.  His issue might be that he's too slow to pull the trigger.  

Either way this team needs a shakeup.  New coach and need to ship a player out and get some fresh faces in here.  The losing over the last year and a half is not a good look on our core guys. 

Advisors like Chiarelli, Shero might also be vying for the GM position.  Need to see where the team is at to get an idea of what kind of changes they would need to make and a timeline, if they get the chance to make their pitch.  

58 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Seattle could really use a face of the franchise and Brock or Elias would really fit the bill.  

Seattle will have to luck out and win the lottery for that to happen.  Giordano is gone next year and all they have left is other team's leftovers.  They didn't acquire very many additional picks from the expansion draft either, so they are looking at a slow build.

Okay let's dissect this rumour with the assumption that it's to do with a trade and not what @mll is suggesting (auditions for the President/GM roles) even though either one is likely.  

Minny is probably looking to add a player for a cup run this year as they feel that they have a chance.  They will have $12 million in dead cap next year coming on the books, so it's definitely not going to be an expensive player.  If it ends up being Miller or Horvat or Boeser, we will have to take a contract back to balance it out.  Kevin Fiala is a 5.1 million missing man on the Wild, so he could very well be the one coming back.  I would hope that we get a pick or a young d-man prospect thrown in as I'm not a huge Fiala fan.  

Seattle is in a much different situation from Minny.  They are a team of grinders and bottom of the lineup serviceable players.  They're having to market Brandon Tanev for crying out loud.  I believe that Boeser or Elias would be good trade targets for them.  Getting a d-man and a 1st round pick would be a ballsy move to pull off for both sides.  Somehow their GM Francis strikes me as a very patient guy, so I don't think there will be much to it.  

St Louis would be/should be gearing up for another cup run.  They have tons of good young forwards that have either made the team or are on the verge of it.  Even though Tarasenko has played well for them, he has maintained that he wants out of St Louis for a long time now.  The fact that he's been a professional about it speaks very highly of Vladimir IMO.  Blues' biggest need at the moment is Left Defense.  The only way I see a deal coming together here is if we ship out one of our forwards for Tarasenko, or perhaps send them a depth defenseman.  I'm very puzzled and intrigued by St Louis probabilities.  Getting either Tarasenko or Barbashev would give us a great Russian player that plays the game the right way (physical, impactful) that can be Podz' buddy.  St Louis is also in a position where their prospects are full and they can afford to trade a pick or two away (or a prospect or two). 

Florida is a team that I am not very up to date on.  I can skim the team stats and make assumptions, but it wouldn't be based on anything more.  

Chicago might be trying to surround Kane and Toews for one more chance at the cup.  I know that they're not close at the moment, but all their acquisitions this summer spoke of a team trying to break through into the playoffs.  The fact that Chicago exec is here would make me think more and more that @mll's suggestion of this not being trade related is true.  No idea what kind of a move Chicago might be looking at.  They would need a center and scoring if I had to guess.  

Toronto is trying to go deep in the playoffs and this year is as good as any for them.  I actually think that someone like JT Miller would a great fit on their team.  However my guess would be that they would be looking to add a veteran d-man.  Leafs have a solid group of THREE d-men in Morgan Reilly, Jake Muzzin and TJ Brodie but the uncertainty skyrockets after that.  Justin Holl, Travis Dermott, Rasmus Sandin and Timothy Ljijegren are good young d-men (well Holl is 29) that will have maybe good careers in the NHL, but it's not really the Leafs' prime objective to work on their development while trying to get out of the first round.  Burroughs, Schenn and Poolman are all d-men that wouldn't break the bank and would really help Toronto to solidify their back end.  Getting someone like Ilya Mikheyev, who has asked for a trade, would be a good haul.  

So that's it, let me know what you guys think and if you guys know more about Florida then I do. 

1 hour ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Seattle could really use a face of the franchise and Brock or Elias would really fit the bill.  

If EP goes anywhere, it won't be to our biggest rivals moving forward.  I'm wondering if EP has been dealing with an injury.  In which case, ride this out and let him be a star for us again later.

Just now, NHL97OneTimer said:

OEL has been very good.  But, if this team will move on to blow things up, cap space and picks will be critical.  Plus, will OEL still be worth his salary by the time this team has been revitalized?

OEL is very easy to buy out after the fourth year on his contract.  So I know that he's got 6 years left, but I'm not too worried about his contract.  

I really don't want to start selling off either Hughes or OEL.  It's so hard to find premier d-men in this league and we don't have any coming up through the minors.  

18 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Florida is a team that I am not very up to date on.  I can skim the team stats and make assumptions, but it wouldn't be based on anything more.  

Anton Lundell for Bo Horvat. Who says no? 

I feel FLA wouldn't do that but tbh I would do Lundell for Horvat in a heart beat 

Edited by DontMessMe

4 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

OEL is very easy to buy out after the fourth year on his contract.  So I know that he's got 6 years left, but I'm not too worried about his contract.  

I really don't want to start selling off either Hughes or OEL.  It's so hard to find premier d-men in this league and we don't have any coming up through the minors.  

Agree.  Really depends what they're planning to do overall though.  One thing that should be learned through all of this is that the cap needs to be taken seriously.  We have to find a way to get away from the buyouts that drag on.  If we had the cap space to keep Marky and Tanev and Toffoli, where would this team be right now?