The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] High-level execs from SEA, MIN, STL, FLA, CHI & TOR at Canucks' game today

1 minute ago, combover said:

NHL gms know they have to move fast to fleece one of the leagues worst in jim Benning.

why is this guy still employed.

#firebenning 

I was a Jim Benning supporter for the last 7 1/2 years.. I've had enough. these past 2 weeks my views have slowly shifted from Green being the main problem.. to that it being Jim. I appreciate what the guy has done draft wise but man we need a change. I'd be in favour of jim taking over as president but we need a GM who can better decisions ie free agent signings, trades etc. I am sick of us moving our high picks and only being middling. I don't want us moving another 1st round pick until we are legitimate contenders sitting top 2 in our division loading up for a playoff spot.

• Upvote 2
  • Vintage 2

5 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

I was a Jim Benning supporter for the last 7 1/2 years.. I've had enough. these past 2 weeks my views have slowly shifted from Green being the main problem.. to that it being Jim. I appreciate what the guy has done draft wise but man we need a change. I'd be in favour of jim taking over as president but we need a GM who can better decisions ie free agent signings, trades etc. I am sick of us moving our high picks and only being middling. I don't want us moving another 1st round pick until we are legitimate contenders sitting top 2 in our division loading up for a playoff spot.

i think JB shouldn’t have anything to do with this team. He’s had more than enough opportunities and ten times more than most gms get to fix his mistakes. 

we are once again a bottom 5 team.

i compared Craig buttons mock draft to JBs pretty comparable so the entire scouting drafting argument doesn’t hold water. And the fact we only have 7 picks in the nhl  5 firsts 2 seconds doesn’t exactly scream great drafting. 
JB has been a failure since he said62B68E5E-A7D4-4E63-A2E9-B8985D716F62.jpeg.e6cbe49a86aa80f7aa730f3455292f90.jpeg

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

I 100% agree with you, Rush.

There are so many holes on our roster. Green doesn't have alot to work with. Hansen is right, its a roster issue. 

I don't love how Green deploys our 'stars' (like we can even call them that now).. but I just find it odd how the players say they love Travis. 

if green is responsible for the dump and chase that isn't working. fire him. if jb is responsible for not having good enough pk'er or pp'ers , fire him. jb is responsible for our less than effective d core. he should go first. a new gm can choose his own coaching staff.

fa dropped the ball again, missing out on gorten.

• Vintage 2

4 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

if green is responsible for the dump and chase that isn't working. fire him. if jb is responsible for not having good enough pk'er or pp'ers , fire him. jb is responsible for our less than effective d core. he should go first. a new gm can choose his own coaching staff.

fa dropped the ball again, missing out on gorten.

Once again, every single team is, primarily, a dump and chase team.  The number of chances you get at a reasonable in during a game are limited and rather than risk a turnover and odd man rush the other way, you dump it in.  It's also a very useful strategy for wearing down the other teams dmen over the course of the game.

Again, every single team uses it as their primary zone entry strategy throughout the course of a game.  The strategy isn't the issue for the Canucks, it's the execution.

12 hours ago, Teemu Selänne said:

If this doesn't deserve it's own thread, feel free to lock. Crowded house at the Vancouver Canucks game today - who are they scouting?

image.png.dcf978970b463f64c3cdb4a0681a65cd.png

Imagine if Chiarelli is brought in as President of Hockey Operations to work with Benning.....

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, Teemu Selänne said:

If this doesn't deserve it's own thread, feel free to lock. Crowded house at the Vancouver Canucks game today - who are they scouting?

image.png.dcf978970b463f64c3cdb4a0681a65cd.png

We have some good and some average players that could be traded:
Miller, Horvat, Boeser, Halak, Myers, Hamonic, Pearson, 

Lets see who has what I want from the teams that are attending... a mix of futures and current roster players who are under club control on good deals that can't just walk from our team while we "try" to get better over the next 2-3 years.  If you see a trend, they are mostly bigger skilled players or guys with high motors.  Time and time again the league proves that good big players beat good small players, especially in the playoffs.  If our starting point for a new core is Hughes, Petterson, Garland, Motte, Hoglander, Podkolzin, and OEL.. iwith our best prospect being Rathbone... we seriously lack that size and grit element so need to surround them with complementary players.  Adding some more undersized skilled singers like Fiala is a recipe for continued disaster to me.

From Seattle:
Borgen
Oleksiak
Fleury
Beniers (not happening)
Winterton
Ottavainenen
1st round pick unprotected

From Minnesota:
Ek
Foligno
Lambos
1st round pick

McBain

From St. Louis
Parayko
Kostin
1st Round pick

From Panthers
Ekblad
Gudas
Barkov
Gildon
Noel
Nause
2023 1s round pick

From Blackhawks
Dach
Strome
Jones
Murphy
Entwhistle
Ejdsell
Vlasic
2023 1st round pick

From Leafs
Engvall
Mikheyev
Kneis
1st rtound pick

Edited by Provost

I guess I'm in the minority here but I don't mind Jim Benning making these trades.  

He has done very well on his last few trades. You could argue that he undervalues draft picks on the whole, but then again maybe the fans overvalue them. 

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Once again, every single team is, primarily, a dump and chase team.  The number of chances you get at a reasonable in during a game are limited and rather than risk a turnover and odd man rush the other way, you dump it in.  It's also a very useful strategy for wearing down the other teams dmen over the course of the game.

Again, every single team uses it as their primary zone entry strategy throughout the course of a game.  The strategy isn't the issue for the Canucks, it's the execution.

Every team uses dump and chase of course. Not every team uses it as their primary offensive strategy though. Even less use it almost exclusively without a roster built to play that way. 

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

Why's that?

Why I would be surprised if he is the first moved?  Harder deal to make than smaller moves like Halak, etc. 

He is our captain so it is also optics of having to hit the trade out of the park and increasing speculation about the locker room.  He is also pretty cold right now so his value might be a little constrained.  So if it is the big names as one of the first dominos I would guess Miller who hasn't been with the team long and is on a hot streak which you want to move on before he cools off.