The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Fenway Sports Group reaches deal to buy Penguins

Rate this topic

49 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

Big price to pay for a franchise that will rot at the bottom as soon as Crosby retires in +/- 5 years. Smart thinking for the owners to sell now.

they won't rot at the bottom, they already have a backroom deal in place with Bettman to secure the 1st overall pick for the next generational player in the draft. 

• Cheers 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, grumpyone said:

they won't rot at the bottom, they already have a backroom deal in place with Bettman to secure the 1st overall pick for the next generational player in the draft. 

They'll probably get Shane Wright and Matvei Michkov in back-to-back drafts just like they got Malkin/Crosby - then they'll be set for the next 15+ years and multiple cups.....in both of those same drafts we'll probably get another OJ/Virtanen combo which will set us up for.....well........:unsure:

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

They'll probably get Shane Wright and Matvei Michkov in back-to-back drafts just like they got Malkin/Crosby - then they'll be set for the next 15+ years and multiple cups.....in both of those same drafts we'll probably get another OJ/Virtanen combo which will set us up for.....well........:unsure:

Honestly, if some BS like that happens again I would probably distance myself from the NHL. Maybe it was just dumb luck but it was awfully fortunate for the pens who were a struggling franchise at the time. I think back room deals are harder to pull off these days.

Despite having decently high odds in all but 1 of the top3 lotto drafts the Canucks have never drafted higher than 5th. We came away lucky with Hughes, the jury is apparently still out on EP. OJ and Virt were drafted with other players like Matthews, Laine, Puljijaarvi, Draisatl, Ekblad. A top 2-3 pick in one of those drafts has the Canucks a vastly different team right now. Hopefully we have better luck this year.

11 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Honestly, if some BS like that happens again I would probably distance myself from the NHL. Maybe it was just dumb luck but it was awfully fortunate for the pens who were a struggling franchise at the time. I think back room deals are harder to pull off these days.

Despite having decently high odds in all but 1 of the top3 lotto drafts the Canucks have never drafted higher than 5th. We came away lucky with Hughes, the jury is apparently still out on EP. OJ and Virt were drafted with other players like Matthews, Laine, Puljijaarvi, Draisatl, Ekblad. A top 2-3 pick in one of those drafts has the Canucks a vastly different team right now. Hopefully we have better luck this year.

The Juolevi pick appeared pretty stupid from the get go. The Virtanen was likely a no-brainer: I can imagine the backlash if Jake actually emerged as a legit NHL'er power forward 30 goal type guy. People would have never forgave Benning for passing on this guy right in our own backyard.