Canucks Community

Early Take - New GM “The Group” and Bruce Boudreau

Rate this topic

Johnny Torts

2 hours ago, nergish said:

Podkolzin - EP40 - Garland

Dickinson - Miller - Boeser

Pearson - Horvat - Hoglander

One freaking game in and Bruce found that sweet spot for the top 9.

He was riding Podkolzin quite a bit too, something tells me he’s enamoured with the kid’s toolkit.

Dickie was just miscast as a shut down C. I like him retrieving pucks for Miller and Boeser tho.

Pretty interested in hearing about the 4 pairs of PK F's, we might get burned on a bad line change from time to time but guys can be fresh to apply pressure. 

15 hours ago, Johnny Torts said:

Atleast when they’re dumping right now, we are running an aggressive 2-3 system to retrieve the puck. 

It’s honestly a breath of fresh air.

Pettersson looked like himself, even though he didn’t score a goal tonight. His line was the most dynamic one out there. 

If this works and I think it will, Pettersson, Garland and Podkolzin are going to make each other very &^@#ing rich throughout their career.

And Boeser. 

&^@#.

Talk about coachable. The &^@#ing guy ripped one from the point on his first shift after spinning because Bruce told him to. I was one of the people “ok” with trading him until I’ve seen him being happy and actually vibing today. And taking words from his coach seriously and wanted to produce for the city. &^@#ing stud. 

Just everyone enjoying how they are playing, smiling, enjoying themselves. 

I love my team and my city and my fellow fans. 

I refuse us to be categorized as toxic, but instead, educated fans. We are the voices that will build a cup champion. Not just a GM, POHO, or coach. We understand that having competent people in their respective positions will get us there.

low key mentioned this was my first observation. I liked Green, but the nonsense from years of Desjardins and Green was an endless stream of free exits for the enemy team. AV at least mixed it up a lot, but was also subject to this issue.

That said, let's evaluate after 10-20 games - just changing can bring early wins, but if they get figured out again, they will be shutdown again. The key is whether the change is sustainable and that means being dynamic and unpredictable.

1 hour ago, Forsy said:

low key mentioned this was my first observation. I liked Green, but the nonsense from years of Desjardins and Green was an endless stream of free exits for the enemy team. AV at least mixed it up a lot, but was also subject to this issue.

That said, let's evaluate after 10-20 games - just changing can bring early wins, but if they get figured out again, they will be shutdown again. The key is whether the change is sustainable and that means being dynamic and unpredictable.

Just loving all the smiles and having fun at practice too

• Cheers 1

14 hours ago, nynuck said:

Not saying that Gabby is the answer, but man, watching him talk to the media: he's a breathe of fresh air. He obviously has a plan, he's smart & he's a very likable guy. In the pregame media interview, IMO, he said all the right things. Telling BB to shoot instead of pass (been yelling that at the screen for 3 years), planning on making small, smart changes... Early take: I like him a lot.

9 hours ago, derr12 said:

I thought myers looked the part last night. id like to see him lay the body a bit more when he has an opportunity tho.  

8 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Not to mention the strategy was different, the lines made sense, and different players were used on the pk.  No difference at all.

I had the same reaction as @nynuck to the Boudreau  interview from practice today (Dec. 7). I was thinking the same phrase: "breath of fresh air". He was funny and he was smart. I liked Green but I really like Boudreau. I like the fact that he looks at the data and that he is willing to experiment. I don't think he is the kind of coach Benning would like.  Gabby is too smart for Benning and he actually has a sense of humour.   

I agree that Myers looked a lot better last night. Not sure if that is due to Gabby or just coincidence. Myers seemed calmer (no  more panicking and grabbing the puck). Maybe it is partly the result of not having to "chase the game" and therefore not trying to do too much.  

Before the game I was thinking to myself "why not use Petey on the PK" and I was delighted to see it happen. For all we know, Petey might be very good on the PK and if he is going play on a "2B" line he won't get overworked by playing on the PK. And he looked good on the PK.  As Gabby said, the PK wasn't working before so why not try something else. He said he plans to try Hughes on the PK as well, which also makes a lot of sense. 

It won't all be smooth sailing, of course. Teams often get a boost after a coaching change but cannot maintain the intensity. But I pretty confident that, at a minimum, this team will  a lot better for the rest of the season than they were in the first quarter of the season.   

And I am just really grateful that Benning and Weisbrod are gone.